Looking for Pork Butt ideas?

Darn, I have 4 of their cookbooks, but not that one.

The Big Book of Outdoor Cooking & Entertaining Pub. 2006
Born to Grill - 1998
Good Times, Good Grilling - 2005
Sublime Smoke - 1996

Last edited:
I avoid using premade rubs due to the salt.
I am sensitive to salt .
I like salt a lot but I want to be in control of my salt intake as much as possible.
It’s just so easy to double or triple salt when using store bought seasonings.
Salt is one of main ingredients in all premade seasonings maybe that is because it is also a cheap filler for making seasonings.
I dunno.
I do know that with premade seasonings using some of this, some of that and a little of this to top it off is a sure fire recipe for triple salting.
I normally just salt once at the beginning of a pork butt cook and maybe a bit more after it’s done when I taste it.
That’s one of the things I like about Kevin Krueger rubs he salts to his preference then you add the rub

I’m leaning toward sticking with “a butt rub for jane” I went to a local BB Q supply and tasted Cimarron Docs that tasted good but was loaded wit MSG and a bit too salty for my preference.

Last edited:
Tom, next time you visit that BBQ supply, if they carry an Simply Marvelous rubs, I would try their Spicy Apple, Pecan, Cherry, Sweet and Spicy. Low salt levels and no MSG ! They have a few new ones that I have yet to try. OH... that Cherry Habanero Glaze is good.

Back