Chile Colorado redux

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I've posted this one before, but I'll share what I made yesterday anyway! :) Made the SAUCE on Friday (super simple....some dried chiles, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, water......recipe is for instant pot, but can be made on stove top.....) Sunday morning, I started the pellet grill @ 180F, chunked up 5 lbs of boneless pork butt from CostCo, and put that on for a four hour smoke sauna:

1643642067794.jpeg

1643642091631.jpeg

Pulled the pork off the grill, turned the grill up to 350F, and diced up the pork into bite size pieces, then back onto the grill it went with the sauce, 16oz of chicken stock, and about 1.5 tsp each of ancho and chipotle chile powders in a dutch oven:

1643642156457.jpeg

The pork went 2 hours uncovered, then 2 hours covered with an occasional stir. While this was happening, I whipped up a double batch of FLOUR TORTILLAS:

1643642253424.jpeg

1643642267986.jpeg

I forgot to take any pics of the tortillas being cooked on the flattop, mostly because while managing 25 tortillas, I was also trying to watch the Chiefs/Bengals game! :) Everything was done/ready at 4p, but we waited until halftime of the Niners game, and then dug in.

1643642340145.jpeg

It turned out really good (again), and will go in the permanent file as a recipe that doesn't need any additional tweaks!

Abosultly amazing as normal. This is now on the extreme short list of pork tacos dishes that I am going to make very soon. I have promised my son I will make chili Verde (inspired by Tye R.'s resent post) smoke tacos this upcoming weekend, but after that new cook, I am going for this one.
My plans this weekend is to follow the our chuck, smoke, then braise method and using this recipe. I am going to make half a pork shoulder into our favorite Carnitas recipe and the other half into chili Verde tacos. Do you have any recommendations for this new undertaking?
I have yet to attempt the tortillas. I need to take the leap, but still feel a little overwhelmed by the process. What did you do keep the tortillas fresh since you pre made them earlier in the day?

I've posted this one before, but I'll share what I made yesterday anyway! :) Made the SAUCE on Friday (super simple....some dried chiles, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, water......recipe is for instant pot, but can be made on stove top.....) Sunday morning, I started the pellet grill @ 180F, chunked up 5 lbs of boneless pork butt from CostCo, and put that on for a four hour smoke sauna:

View attachment 44554

View attachment 44555

Pulled the pork off the grill, turned the grill up to 350F, and diced up the pork into bite size pieces, then back onto the grill it went with the sauce, 16oz of chicken stock, and about 1.5 tsp each of ancho and chipotle chile powders in a dutch oven:

View attachment 44556

The pork went 2 hours uncovered, then 2 hours covered with an occasional stir. While this was happening, I whipped up a double batch of FLOUR TORTILLAS:

View attachment 44557

View attachment 44558

I forgot to take any pics of the tortillas being cooked on the flattop, mostly because while managing 25 tortillas, I was also trying to watch the Chiefs/Bengals game! :) Everything was done/ready at 4p, but we waited until halftime of the Niners game, and then dug in.

View attachment 44559

It turned out really good (again), and will go in the permanent file as a recipe that doesn't need any additional tweaks!
I really like this smoke/fusion style recipe. great way to layer mexican and smoked grill flavors.

i did buy a tortilla maker. kept it old school and simple, nothing to break over time and get a light upper arm workout:

Abosultly amazing as normal. This is now on the extreme short list of pork tacos dishes that I am going to make very soon. I have promised my son I will make chili Verde (inspired by Tye R.'s resent post) smoke tacos this upcoming weekend, but after that new cook, I am going for this one.
My plans this weekend is to follow the our chuck, smoke, then braise method and using this recipe. I am going to make half a pork shoulder into our favorite Carnitas recipe and the other half into chili Verde tacos. Do you have any recommendations for this new undertaking?
I have yet to attempt the tortillas. I need to take the leap, but still feel a little overwhelmed by the process. What did you do keep the tortillas fresh since you pre made them earlier in the day?
Michael, that recipe looks like a good starting point, and will definitely benefit from the "smoke then braise" method!

The tortillas are not that complicated, though rolling them out with a pin rather than a tortilla press will involve more time. I mixed the dough, separated into balls, then just kept on a baking tray covered with plastic wrap on the counter until I was ready to make them. Then I fire up the flattop, and it's press, cook, flip, cook, repeat. Once each was cooked up enough, they went into a round casserole dish lined with a tea towel to keep them warm. After they were all cooked, I just held them in the casserole dish in a 155F oven until we were ready to eat.

Since you are attempting one other new to you recipe, maybe you should do that one without making the tortillas to get it down.....then add tortillas to the mix when you make it a second (or third) time?

Let us know how the CV turns out!

R

I really like this smoke/fusion style recipe. great way to layer mexican and smoked grill flavors.

i did buy a tortilla maker. kept it old school and simple, nothing to break over time and get a light upper arm workout:

You went hi-tech! :)

Agree on the layers of flavors with smoke then braise. Worked wonders for the carnitas recipe that @Michael Richards and I played around with. Kudos to him for introducing this idea from another recipe (if memory serves.)

R

Looks amazing. I just made Chili Colorado for the first time, but did it on the stove. Note to self - smoke it next time !!!

Looks amazing. I just made Chili Colorado for the first time, but did it on the stove. Note to self - smoke it next time !!!
A bit of time in the smoker does add some good, subtle flavors, Brian! I make the sauce inside, though that can be done on the grill as well if you are more adventurous (Cliff posted his version of that a ways back.)

What protein did you use for your CC? I've only ever used pork, though beef is traditionally what's in Chile Colorado......I need to grab some chuck sometime and try that.

R

A bit of time in the smoker does add some good, subtle flavors, Brian! I make the sauce inside, though that can be done on the grill as well if you are more adventurous (Cliff posted his version of that a ways back.)

What protein did you use for your CC? I've only ever used pork, though beef is traditionally what's in Chile Colorado......I need to grab some chuck sometime and try that.

R

I used Chuck. Got the recipe from the Certified Angus Beef website: https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/recipes/Texas-Red-Chili

After watching their video

I will modify it a bit for next time, probably double the amount of beef.

3D75707C-763A-437E-AEDE-5174D4A4C045.jpeg
1CF2D171-E708-4F5A-AC17-C8B7DACAC8A7.jpeg

Back