Kingsford's flavored charcoal ....

I tried the hickory charcoal on a whim. Don’t bother. I think that it’s just a sales gimmick. Burns fast, a lot of ash, and didn’t add anything to the flavor.

I don't do Kingsford much if at all. Everything tastes like Kingsford charcoal when I use it. Not much influence from the wood. So, I'm out already.

I have to think that a company like Kingsford has researched the heck out of something like this, and wouldn't release it on a whim. That said, I'm not all that interested. Burning garlic and chili powder just doesn't sound appetizing to me.

Charlie

I tried the hickory charcoal on a whim. Don’t bother. I think that it’s just a sales gimmick. Burns fast, a lot of ash, and didn’t add anything to the flavor.
It smelled nice while burning away into my neighbors yard. As stated added litter to zero flavor or smoke into my food.

Burns fast, a lot of ash
It does burn hot and fast. However, Original Kingsford produced less ash by volume that Weber Hardwood Charcoal Briquettes, and that Weber charcoal as loved by all...especially when it dropped below $10 per bag at close-out. :D

Lots of folks toss a whole onion on the fire when smoking. This can't be that much different. It would be interesting to cook meat without a strong rub or seasoning and see if you can pick up any flavor.

Anyone want to test this? :)

Lots of folks toss a whole onion on the fire when smoking. This can't be that much different. It would be interesting to cook meat without a strong rub or seasoning and see if you can pick up any flavor.

I smell a new video, Mr. Admin! Maybe Kingsford will send you some for real world testing.

i toss fresh rosemary onto the coals when cooking chicken and sometime steaks. the flavor does impart onto the protein and the rosemary smell is present, in a nice way. i have not smoked with an onion on the coals though.

I've been cooking onions with my rotisserie cooks and there's some benefit (imho)

As far as flavored charcoal goes... I've been buying Winco's brand charcoal ($6 for 18LBS) toss in a chunk of wood or two (usually Cherry) works for me

Back