Kingsford Professional Competition Briquets

I just started using K Pro a couple of weeks ago. I like it, but my perception is that it burns faster. I don't plan on using any in my WSM.

I've tried this a few times and I must say I don't like it. The bottom third of the bag is ground up in a fine powder and is unusable and messy. I use B&B primarily, but the standard Kingsford blue bag is better in my opinion.

I hope this stuff is decent - I’ve got 6 bags out in the garage 😳. If it’s not good in the WSM I’ll use it in the kettle.

I bought a bag of the new Jealous Devil briquettes and they all broke into pieces when I poured them into the grill. They did burn hot.

Have a bag or two of K Pro a bag of Weber's some blue bag and some Stubs and RO. But I can't tell you about any of them as it's been horribly windy the past two months and May 1 the charcoal ban goes into affect. The cover hasn't been off the performer in a year now.
Now that I've vented do I feel better, hell no. It's me and the two gassers and the pellet grill. UGH!

I’ve been using Kpro for quite awhile and am quite pleased with it. I get it at COSTCO. Its been consistent and if I am careful with fire management, I can get 10 to 11 hours without a reload. Use it in the kettle as well.

I like the K Pro from Costco too. It has more wood char in it than KBB. So it is lighter, more brittle, burns hotter, and produces less ash. So on the charcoal spectrum, it is moving in the lump direction.

The faster/hotter burn is in an uncontrolled environment. But in the controlled environment of a WSM, I get a nice long even burn.

I like th KF Pro. My B&B briquette experience was weird.. had some sort of disco orange-ish colors in the ashes that I couldn't abide by.... at least the KF pro ashes aren't weird looking. Like many others, Weber brand briquettes are my fav.... They'll be back someday I'm sure.

I bought a couple of bags awhile ago. It burned hotter than blue bag. It was good in the kettle but I didn’t care for it in the WSM.

I've been using it for a while now in my kettle and WSM. I'm probably too much of a newb to know the difference, but it seems to work just fine for me. I've got a couple hundred lbs of it, so I hope that continues.

I bought a 2 bagger of K pro at Costco hoping it would be less ash than kbb but that did not seem to be the case with the last butt on the wsm 14. At the low pit temps I can't say if it burned hotter but I did get 10 hours out of it. So, for me, the jury is still out.

Before it was named Professional, it was called Competition, and Chris has a review of it here:

For more comparisons by Chris,
KBB vs K-Pro vs K Long-Burning vs Weber:

I don't think it's worth the extra $$ over the standard KBB. I have, on occasion, purchased it when Costco had it on sale. It burns noticeably faster, when I used it to smoke on the kettle SnS set-up. I guess that's okay, for shorter cooks, but not okay enough to pay the extra $$$.

If I want a hot fire, I'll just use lump anyway.

used up one bag of KPCB since the start of this thread...
it does burn fast....seems like the same amount of ash as always...
also bought a box of briquettes by Jealous Devil Extra Large... i will not buy any more of that stuff...
no binder or whatever holds it together... fell apart/crumbled before i cooked.

briquettesJealousDevilMaxxx.jpg
briquettes1.jpg
briquettes2.jpg

seems charcoal just ain't made like it used to be...

C'mon, Jim...don't you know that the surest indicator of a quality product is double entendre packaging?;)

used up one bag of KPCB since the start of this thread...
it does burn fast....seems like the same amount of ash as always...
also bought a box of briquettes by Jealous Devil Extra Large... i will not buy any more of that stuff...
no binder or whatever holds it together... fell apart/crumbled before i cooked.

View attachment 27155
View attachment 27156
View attachment 27157

seems charcoal just ain't made like it used to be...
It’s depressing isn’t it? Finding fuel that is efficient and affordable is a lot of work!

Since my son works at Costco, he brings me a couple of those Kingsford 2 packs home once in a while. I've used it many times in the 18" with no issues. The longest I've done with it was a 12hr shoulder cook and it could've gone longer if needed. Haven't used it for a brisket yet, but I'll have no hesitation trying it.

Back