kingsford natural lump briquettes?

Okay after trying to get through the chemistry lesson of the post and reading all the other information, I have a question. First I have only used KBB and yes I hate the white start up smoke other than that I think its fine, but if not using wood for smoke is there any difference in the flavor of the food when using lump or other brands of charcoal.
I sure hope this doesn't start another fire storm, remember be nice.;)

Yes, I think the type and composition of lump and briquettes can affect flavor. But I suspect it's hard for most of us to discern the difference once smoke wood, rub, baste, sauce, etc. are added into the equation. I don't doubt that some people can pick-up subtle differences like this.

I think I tried the mesquite charcoal this thread is about...
Kingsford's making things confusing for us. The charcoal that's the subject of this thread is a brand new product. It seems to be lump charcoal ground up, mixed with a binder, and mesquite chips pressed into the surface. There is an older product still available which is the usual Kingsford blue bag mix that has mesquite or hickory or apple sawdust in the mix.

You can see them all laid out on this page: https://www.kingsford.com/products/

Well, I think you answered my question Chris: I was going to ask Tyson to crack one of those brick-ettes open and see what is inside?

Sounds like the old Rancher which was an excellent lump briquette.
Thanks for the heads up, cause I'll certainly try a bag.:wsm:

Tim

I still have about 20-25 bags of Rancher from years ago when HD was clearing them out. $3 a bag. I save them now for the WSM not the kettle. I wish HD would carry Rancher again. Not sure if Trader Joes will have it this year or is available elsewhere.

Same thing with Kingsford competition when HD cleared them out.

Well, I think you answered my question Chris: I was going to ask Tyson to crack one of those brick-ettes open and see what is inside?
I was going to, but had to head out of town for work. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow.

The charcoal that's the subject of this thread is a brand new product. It seems to be lump charcoal ground up, mixed with a binder, and mesquite chips pressed into the surface.

Mesquite chips pressed into the surface of lump charcoal... sounds like these briquettes might lend themselves nicely to the Minion method in a WSM. Worth a try for sure. :)

I "cut" one of the natural lump briquettes open. See pic below. There isn't very much of the wood chips throughout the inside, but you can see a little in there if you look closely.

The big piece at the top shows the inside. The piece on the bottom is just holding it up for the picture and the small piece on the left broke off on my first attempt to slit it in half.

I "cut" one of the natural lump briquettes open. See pic below. There isn't very much of the wood chips throughout the inside, but you can see a little in there if you look closely.

The big piece at the top shows the inside. The piece on the bottom is just holding it up for the picture and the small piece on the left broke off on my first attempt to slit it in half.

I took a close look at the picture. I even enlarged it and I cannot see anything that looks like mesquite wood on the inside of that briquette. I'll have to take his word that there is a bit there.

Does anyone else see any? If there is any wood there, it certainly is not in the form of chips. At best, maybe there are some barely visible "sub-splinters" there.

So your coals are gray, glowing and ready to cook on. The exterior mesquite sub-splinters are burned off and long gone.

Do you think any of those teeny, tiny pieces of mesquite remaining on the inside (if there really are any) are going to impart any flavor? Do you really think so!?!?

Hey, I know some of you guys LOVE Kingsford and that's fine. But this mesquite stuff they are pushing is BS.

I think you'd be much better off using KBB and adding in your own mesquite.

Last edited:
well.... la-tee-da! looky here what i saw (and bought) today....

kingsfordLUMP.jpg

and i'm gonna use it tonight :p

Back