kingsford natural lump briquettes?

Didn't know about them, and after a little searching it appears to be a new product.
Even at a buck a pound I would not be able to resist trying a bag.

I've not used them but if Kingsford has removed the limestone, anthracite coal, borax, etc, I can appreciate them listening to their customers.

I am looking for a list of ingredients. All I see is "All natural". All those additives are natural. I just don't want them in my charcoal.

I should've pulled the bag off the shelf and checked to see if there was an ingredients list but SWMBO was in a hurry. Curiosity just might get the best of me, as i will be in the area of the store again tonight.

Lump for me seems to go a lot further per pound than the KBB. I love KBB though, but I would probably give this stuff a shot. My problems with lump are consistancy of size, and chunks of plastic and junk I find in them sometimes. I don't care for the sparking that some lump has. I could be all over this stuff.

I use Stubb's charcoal briquettes. The manufacturer says it is 95% hardwood and 5% vegetable (corn starch) binder.

Corn starch sounds okay to me compared to all that other crap some others use.

It does take a comparatively long time to get ready using a chimney, maybe 20 to 30 minutes. But, at the same time, it also burns for a good long time in my WSM.

I just plan accordingly and use the extra 10 or so minutes for whatever prep work is necessary.

The price is right too. Right now it's $7.87 for 15 pounds at Walmart, just a little over 50 cents per pound.

I don't know of anything better out there but I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Sounds like the old Rancher which was an excellent lump briquette.
Thanks for the heads up, cause I'll certainly try a bag.:wsm:

Tim

Still trying to figure out how Kingsford Lump Briquets are different from Kingsford Competition Briquets. It's my understanding that competition briquets are just charwood, starch binder, and tiny bit of borax so the briquets release from the press machine.

Still trying to figure out how Kingsford Lump Briquets are different from Kingsford Competition Briquets. It's my understanding that competition briquets are just charwood, starch binder, and tiny bit of borax so the briquets release from the press machine.
Speaking of K Comp, my Costco coupon book starting March 5 has it for $4.30 off per twin.

I would also like to know the difference between the new stuff and the competition. One time i tried using comp in place of lump for a high heat chicken cook and it didn't provide the same heat as lump.

Lump for me seems to go a lot further per pound than the KBB. I love KBB though, but I would probably give this stuff a shot. My problems with lump are consistancy of size, and chunks of plastic and junk I find in them sometimes. I don't care for the sparking that some lump has. I could be all over this stuff.

This guy gets it.

I use Stubb's charcoal briquettes. The manufacturer says it is 95% hardwood and 5% vegetable (corn starch) binder.

Corn starch sounds okay to me compared to all that other crap some others use.

It does take a comparatively long time to get ready using a chimney, maybe 20 to 30 minutes. But, at the same time, it also burns for a good long time in my WSM.

I just plan accordingly and use the extra 10 or so minutes for whatever prep work is necessary.

The price is right too. Right now it's $7.87 for 15 pounds at Walmart, just a little over 50 cents per pound.

I don't know of anything better out there but I'm open to suggestions.
I agree with this one hundred percent.

I saw the Competition briqs at Costco yesterday, A bunch of em. Are they worth the extra $$

I saw the Competition briqs at Costco yesterday, A bunch of em. Are they worth the extra $$

i usually mix lump and KBB when i do chicken cooks in my 18.5, which lets me hit 350 degrees or more with my extra lid vent. One time i substituted K-comp for the lump and had trouble reaching the same temps. Thats been my only real test, i used the rest of it up on some longer smokes.

I was at the store again tonight and i picked up a bag to try out. Worked out to a hair over $1/lb so i hope its worth it.

I tried these today and they were different than I was expecting. I would say they look like the "flavored" charcoal with pieces of wood mixed in the briquet. I could smell the sweet mesquite wood when they were starting up and when I first dumped them into the JJ. I let the JJ run for over an hour before cooking, since other person that was going to eat was running late. I cooked chicken breast direct only and I couldn't taste a different vs. using KBB or lump. I'll keep using them and see if I can taste any difference on other cooks.

PS I called the number on the bag and the lady on the phone couldn't tell me anything about them.

A comparison between the natural lump briquette and KBB. KBB is on the right.

Edit: I see why I didn't taste any difference. If you look at picture 3 it confirms what I thought when I was using them. The mesquite wood is only on the outside of the briquette (briquets?) By the time I started cooking on them, about an hour, I couldn't see the wood anymore and didn't smell any wood. So that might be on me, since I didn't use them properly.

Last edited:
If the mesquite is ONLY on the OUTSIDE, the tiny mesquite shavings are all burned off by the time the coals are gray and ready for use.

What BS! Kingsford is the flim flam King of charcoal.

Try all natural Stubb's at 53 cents a pound and buy a bag of mesquite chips or chunks if you want to smoke with mesquite.

Kingsford must think a lot of smoker practitioners are gullible people.

And it looks like they are correct on that.

Stubb's briquettes are better than any briquette made by Kingsford including Kingsford Competition and, at 53 cents per pound, it's half the price!

Stubb's uses 95% hardwood with 5% corn starch binder. And that's it. That's all that's in them. And they burn long and hot and don't produce a lot is ash.

I buy Stubb's for $7.87 for 15lbs at Walmart all the time.

If you use briquettes, why would you use anything else, Kingsford in particular?

Last edited:

Back