kingsford natural lump briquettes?

If the mesquite is ONLY on the OUTSIDE, the tiny mesquite shavings are all burned off by the time the coals are gray and ready for use.

What BS! Kingsford is the flim flam King of charcoal.

Try all natural Stubb's at 53 cents a pound and buy a bag of mesquite chips or chunks if you want to smoke with mesquite.

Kingsford must think a lot of smoker practitioners are gullible people.

And it looks like they are correct on that.

Stubb's briquettes are better than any briquette made by Kingsford including Kingsford Competition and, at 53 cents per pound, it's half the price!

Stubb's uses 95% hardwood with 5% corn starch binder. And that's it. That's all that's in them. And they burn long and hot and don't produce a lot is ash.

I buy Stubb's for $7.87 for 15lbs at Walmart all the time.

If you use briquettes, why would you use anything else, Kingsford in particular?

Why not test something else? I like Stubbs and use it sometimes. That said, I pay less than half for KBB vs. Stubbs when it's on sale and stock up. Plus, Stubbs can't find be found at all the stores like KBB or RO ridgeline, so that's a big reason for a lot of people. Technically speaking everything in KBB is natural.

I paid $8.xx per 40lbs of KBB last year. So I bought a lot. ;)

Last edited:
Technically speaking everything in KBB is natural.

Technically speaking, cancer is natural too. But I don't want any, thank you.

Kingsford adds borax to their briquettes to make them easier to remove from the molds during manufacturing.

Yeah, I know. Borax is "natural."

Bat guano is natural too. I don't want to ingest either one.

Kingsford also uses sawdust to aid in ignition. They don't cut or grind their own wood to make sawdust, they buy it from wood mills and other wood processing businesses.

Who knows what kind of (processed?) wood it comes from? Can you say, "treated plywood," or "treated wood veneer?"

I don't know where Kingsford gets the sawdust they add to their briquettes. So I'll just avoid it. But if some folks want to cook with floor sweepings, have at it.

Sodium nitrate is also added to Kingsford.. They use this as an "ignition aid" too. Google "sodium nitrate" and "cancer" using them as keywords and see what you come up with.

I don't want to eat smoked foods that have been adulterated with borax, nitrates and maybe other chemicals from processed wood sawdust.

Lastly, the Stubb's price I mentioned above was not a "sale" price. It's the regular every day price at Walmart.

You can stock up on Stubb's and save money when it's on sale just like you can with Kingsford.

And Stubb's isn't hard to find. I would guess a very high percentage of the forum members can get to a Walmart without too much of a problem.

Think I'll keep using my hardwood and cornstarch ONLY Stubb's.

Think about it.

Last edited:

I get that not everyone wants to use Kingsford Original Briquets, but there's no reason to bash it. The company is transparent about the ingredients that go into the product and why they are used. I'm not aware of any credible information that would indicate that the amounts of borax or sodium nitrate used in the product are harmful to people when combusted, nor that treated wood products are used in production. And for those that want a simpler product, Kingsford Competition Briquets are just wood char and starch with a hint of that pesky borax as a release agent.

Stan, I'm glad you enjoy using Stubb's. I've tried it and it's a fine product. There are many good choices out there.

Oh, and please note that TVWBB is giving away a $100 Home Depot or Lowe's gift card on March 31 that can used used to buy your favorite brand of charcoal for spring grilling and barbecuing:

Win a $100 Home Depot or Lowe's Gift Card!

I tried these today and they were different than I was expecting...
Thank you for sharing the photos and information.

Are you saying that you didn't start cooking until 1 hour after you lit the charcoal? If so, I can see why there would be no mesquite flavor at that point if the wood chips are a "coating". It doesn't take but 15 minutes to get Kingsford going, so I imagine the flavor and aroma would be stronger when cooking is started sooner.

I look forward to your comments when you use it next time. :)

Before joining this site I knew of beer snobs, wine snobs, and food snobs.
Since joining, I now know of charcoal snobs.
I don't have a problem with snobs in general, but if they, like many vegans, try to force their opinions on me, then I have a problem.

If cancer is a concern, then one should not eat smoked foods period.
Smoked food and cancer.

Thanks for your review Tyson.

Are you saying that you didn't start cooking until 1 hour after you lit the charcoal? If so, I can see why there would be no mesquite flavor at that point if the wood chips are a "coating". It doesn't take but 15 minutes to get Kingsford going, so I imagine the flavor and aroma would be stronger when cooking is started sooner.

Hi Chris,

Hope you are well.

I have a question.

If, as one of the other posters asserted, those tiny mesquite shavings on the Kingsford are external, ie. just added on to the outside of the coals, wouldn't that little bit of mesquite be burned away by the time the coals were gray, glowing and ready for use?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Before joining this site I knew of beer snobs, wine snobs, and food snobs.
Since joining, I now know of charcoal snobs.
I don't have a problem with snobs in general, but if they, like many vegans, try to force their opinions on me, then I have a problem.

If cancer is a concern, then one should not eat smoked foods period.
Smoked food and cancer.

Thanks for your review Tyson.

Bob, no one is trying to "force" anything on anyone.

And if every time one of us offers an opinion we are snobs by default, well, we have an awful lot of snobs around here.

And I'm marveling on how you managed to drag "vegans" into this discussion. That was hilarious even though it had nothing to do what we're talking about.

Thanks for the laugh!

Oh yeah! The "smoked food and cancer" (ahem) study you linked to was begun in 1970 and reported on in 1980. It's not what I'd call "timely." I have to wonder if there's any newer info out there on this subject.

The study population was a small group of Slovenians living in Hungary.

And that's no joke. Did you read it? I did.

I love smoked food. And I try to smoke as "cleanly" as I can.

Things change! Many years ago no one thought twice about using charcoal lighter fluid to start coals burning.

My, how times have changed.

Last edited:
Stan, it was the repeated opinion that I took offense at.
Personally, to me, it came across as anyone using regular Kingsford is an fool.
Sorry if I misinterpreted your posts.

and you're welcome for the laugh.

Yes, it was at least an hour. I had to wait for someone so my timing was off. I later had the same thought as you, usually we start cooking once it's ready. I like that these are the same size as KBB. Where the K comp is a little smaller.

Tyson,
I hope this thread goes and stays back on topic.
After all, it is your thread.
Thanks again for your input on the new product.

Bob,

I don't think I know any vegans. And if I do, they're "closet vegans," not that there is anything wrong with that.

Take care.

Last edited:
Tyson,
I hope this thread goes and stays back on topic.
After all, it is your thread.
Thanks again for your input on the new product.

Paul Pearson started this thread, not Tyson.

Tyson entered the discussion at the bottom of page 2.

Just sayin.'

Last edited:
Technically speaking, cancer is natural too. But I don't want any, thank you.

Kingsford adds borax to their briquettes to make them easier to remove from the molds during manufacturing.

Yeah, I know. Borax is "natural."

Bat guano is natural too. I don't want to ingest either one.

Kingsford also uses sawdust to aid in ignition. They don't cut or grind their own wood to make sawdust, they buy it from wood mills and other wood processing businesses.

Who knows what kind of (processed?) wood it comes from? Can you say, "treated plywood," or "treated wood veneer?"

I don't know where Kingsford gets the sawdust they add to their briquettes. So I'll just avoid it. But if some folks want to cook with floor sweepings, have at it.

Sodium nitrate is also added to Kingsford.. They use this as an "ignition aid" too. Google "sodium nitrate" and "cancer" using them as keywords and see what you come up with.

I don't want to eat smoked foods that have been adulterated with borax, nitrates and maybe other chemicals from processed wood sawdust.

Lastly, the Stubb's price I mentioned above was not a "sale" price. It's the regular every day price at Walmart.

You can stock up on Stubb's and save money when it's on sale just like you can with Kingsford.

And Stubb's isn't hard to find. I would guess a very high percentage of the forum members can get to a Walmart without too much of a problem.

Think about it.
There is no regulation for charcoal. There is no telling if treated lumber doesn't make its way into the Stubbs lump charcoal they use to make them. So that argument goes both ways. Again, I like Stubbs and would buy it more often if I could find it on sale for $0.25 or less. I haven't seen them on sale for that cheap yet and doubt I ever will.

If you're that worried about your health, I would avoid charring your food and good luck avoiding sodium nitrate completely.

There is no regulation for charcoal. There is no telling if treated lumber doesn't make its way into the Stubbs lump charcoal they use to make them. So that argument goes both ways. Again, I like Stubbs and would buy it more often if I could find it on sale for $0.25 or less. I haven't seen them on sale for that cheap yet and doubt I ever will.

If you're that worried about your health, I would avoid charring your food and good luck avoiding sodium nitrate completely.

Above you seem to be saying Stubb's uses sawdust in their briquettes. But they do not.

As for the rest, are you saying that no matter what add-ins a charcoal maker uses in their briquettes, you buy charcoal based solely on the price?

If that's the case, it looks like I should be the one wishing you "good luck."

And as for nitrates? You're right. In this day and age I'm not sure we can avoid nitrates entirely.

I believe the more nitrates ingested, the more harmful these chemical compounds become.

In other words, the negative effects of sodium nitrate are cumulative.

Therefore I avoid sodium nitrate whenever possible.

But that's just me.

Last edited:
If...those tiny mesquite shavings on the Kingsford are external...wouldn't that little bit of mesquite be burned away by the time the coals were gray, glowing and ready for use?
I don't know. I assume it depends on how much mesquite is pressed into each briquet and how deeply it penetrates. We'll see what Tyson says next time he uses it. My guess is that it provides a quick burst of mesquite flavor/aroma and then subsides.

To everyone...let's keep this thread focused on the merits of the product in question, so that those interested in it can learn how it works and whether it's a good product or not. Thanks.

I think I tried the mesquite charcoal this thread is about - it's been a few years and it could've been hickory. I seem to remember it just not tasting right but I don't remember what I cooked or what cooker I used. I only bought a single bag from the supermarket so I didn't try much, I just decided I'd rather add my own wood chunks or chips. I'm sure it's fine and I've seen others here post good experiences with it.

My experience with lump has been less than impressive- it was just too irregular and I didn't feel I got my moneys worth. I'll try it again but KBB or K-comp work just fine for me.... when I'm not using my gasser (i was pretty much charcoal only from ~2006 through early 2014 when I rehabbed a genesis)

Love reading all this charcoal debate. Since I joined this site a couple of years back I have learned many great things about grilling & BBQ'n. When it comes to charcoals i have tried many different brands. I have come to love lump charcoal. The best being Ozark oak & Rockwood. I do not miss the smell of Kingsford blue bag when lighting anymore. Lump is much more pleasant. Plus I can get 2 or 3 cooks off of one load of lump. I've also noticed that lump cooks better on the 2nd or 3rd cook. This being said I am looking forward to trying the new Kingsford Natural. If & when it is available in my area. I also use Stubbs like everyone else. So I hope that the new Kingsford is a big hit And we can get it at cheaper prices like the blue bags when on sale. thanks everyone

Back