KBB Twin Packs now 37.2 lbs?

Tyson

TVWBB Super Fan
I was at HD today and saw the Kingsford Original twin packs are now 2 18.6-lb bags instead of 2 20-lb. I also just checked Lowes online and see they are starting to carry the same twin 18.6-lb packs. The price was the same, so they are cost more per pound now. :eek:

Kingsford has once again changed their formula to increase the amount of charwood, making bags lighter for the same number of briquets. They did the same in 2010. They claim the same number of uses per bag.

I ran a side-by-side burn test last weekend and will publish the results soon. Spoiler: the old stuff lasted just a bit longer than the new stuff, but not by much.

I used the new stuff this weekend for the first time. I also found the new charcoal burns faster than the old.

Here is an email that I received from Kingsford in response to the question of old vs. new Kingsford I sent them.

Response By Email (gdelmonte) (04/14/2015 03:48 PM)
Hi Richard,

Thank you for providing us with this information.

From the production code you provided me with, I can see that your bag was manufactured on February 23, 2015. Therefore your bag is the new formula as this was launched in January 2015. All sizes of charcoal bags were affected by the formula change.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Consumer Services
Customer By CSS Email (Richard Dahl) (04/14/2015 10:14 AM)
UPC 0 44600 31239 2
MC ??? Only other number I can find is M 415054 0744
Price $ 9.95
Store of purchase. Home Depot
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 2:08 PM
To: rjd4cars@cableone.net
Subject: I was wondering if all of the new 18.6 pound bags are the new formula or are... Incident: 150411-000217

Response By Email (gdelmonte) (04/13/2015 05:08 PM)
Hi Richard,

Thank you for contacting us. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

So that I may better assist you, could you please provide us with the following information?
UPC/Barcode
Manufacturing Code
Price of Product
Store of Purchase
We look forward to further assisting you in this matter.

Sincerely,
Consumer Services
Customer By CSS Web (Richard Dahl) (04/11/2015 05:11 PM)
I was wondering if all of the new 18.6 pound bags are the new formula or are there 18.6 pound bags with the old formula briquettes. The reason I ask is I purchased some 18.6 pound bags at Home Depot but they don’t say anything about faster starting. They say “Thrill of the grill” and that’s it.
Thanks for your time.

Rich
If you need to contact us in the future about this issue please you this reference number: 150411-000217

I've always liked the "original" when it comes to everything. Seems like whenever "they" improve, it's almost never an improvement. From Tic Tac's to McDonalds Frys, once changed, never as good :)

Me, I'm a "half full" kind of guy and am looking forward to using the new briquettes. Of course, I have a supply laid in of the old, so it'll be a while before I buy. I normally buy about 400 lbs at a time when they are on sale, so I'll give it a good work out when I run out of the old.

I'm not expecting any great change. I'll adjust to the new but expect it'll be relatively small changes. Keep in mind that old saying, "The only constant is change" or words to that effect...:rolleyes:

Even with the lighter briqs, the sale price is great in these days of "silent" inflation. The difference is only 7%... ($.27 per lb. is the new cost). I can live with that.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Kingsford has once again changed their formula to increase the amount of charwood, making bags lighter for the same number of briquets. They did the same in 2010. They claim the same number of uses per bag.

I ran a side-by-side burn test last weekend and will publish the results soon. Spoiler: the old stuff lasted just a bit longer than the new stuff, but not by much.

That explains it. I'm getting "low," about 60-lbs left of the "old" formula. :kingsford: Knowing this makes it exciting to see how the new stuff performs. Those 40-lb packs where hard on the old back anyways! Now before anyones says 40-lbs isn't that heavy. No it's not, but when you buy a truck load at a time they start to get heavy.

I spoke to a Kingsford rep last year and was told that they were changing their "original" formula. The bags will have the same amount volume wise, but will be lighter due to being more airy. They are supposed to get hotter faster, burn hotter, and last longer....supposedly

I'm not sure what "original" Kingsford is anymore. I'm sure they've tinkered with the formula for many years going way back and we never really knew about it until 2006 when the big change was announced. Then another big announced tweak in 2010. And now this one.

There are several ways to look at this. One is skeptically...that they are "messing with" the original formula to make more profit. Another is that they are responding to consumer demand for more "natural" products by putting more charwood in KBB (and coming out with Kingsford Competition Briquets (all natural) and the latest Kingsford Lump Briquets). Another is that they are tweaking their product to better compete with gas grills...the faster it lights, the faster you're cooking, almost as fast as warming up a gas grill.

I noticed last week when I did a test burn on my Brinkmann Smoke'n Pit Offset that the new Kingsford did burn hotter, but not as long as the older Kingford. With the old Kingsford, I could get stable temps (250*) and a 5 hour burn from one basket. With the new Kingsford, my pit burned hotter and I has to keep adjusting the input air vent and got only 4 hours burn time. I used the same amount of coals both times and the outside temp was about the same. I was wondering why, now I know. The new formula burns hotter, but has about 25% less burn time and produces less ash and smoke.

I noticed last week when I did a test burn on my Brinkmann Smoke'n Pit Offset that the new Kingsford did burn hotter, but not as long as the older Kingford. With the old Kingsford, I could get stable temps (250*) and a 5 hour burn from one basket. With the new Kingsford, my pit burned hotter and I has to keep adjusting the input air vent and got only 4 hours burn time. I used the same amount of coals both times and the outside temp was about the same. I was wondering why, now I know. The new formula burns hotter, but has about 25% less burn time and produces less ash and smoke.

I read that they changed the briquette shape or and or size as well to increase the surface area. More surface area = more air mixture and thus faster hotter burning.

It sounds like you would need to restrict air more or start with less lit at one time to get the same burn temp and time you are used too.

I read that they changed the briquette shape or and or size as well to increase the surface area..
I've examined both 2014 and 2015 K and I don't see any difference in shape or size. Having said that, when comparing any two bags of charcoal there can always be variations in thickness of briquets due to variations in the stamping process. But what's new about the 2015 formula is something about "increased airflow". Not sure how that's achieved, as they're not providing details.

I use the Genesis for grilling and the WSM for BBQ'ing.
The 20# bag was just about the perfect size to cook a brisket overnight, smoke some sausage for about three hours in the morning, and then around 9 open all the vents 100% for cooking a chicken ...all to to be ready at 12.
Maybe a 18.6# bag will get the same job done but somehow I kinda doubt it.
I hope the 20# twin packs show up again.
If the price has to go up Kingsford should just raise the price instead of reduce the pounds per bag.
In any case I need charcoal right now, didn't know about a new formula, thought the ~18# bags I have been seeing at Walmart was just a package size.
Since someone mentioned sale I checked and Lowes has the twin packs for $12.99, not as good as the 20# twin pack on sale at $9.99 but I will be picking up a few later today.

I saw these at Wal Mart today when was was Brisket hunting...they had a 2 pack of 16.8Lbs ea so 33.6Lbs for $10.08....that's super cheap... 48% cheaper than the 2x 18.6lb packs at Lowes which are 37.2Lb for $19.99... $0.30/ Lb vs $0.57/ Lb

Back