Jerky and Rock Fish

Chris Lynch

TVWBB All-Star
Hey guys,

I have been craving jerky and every time i buy a bag and take that first bite, bleh! I know I can make better...It's been over a year since I made it last...oh boy..time does fly!

Did an overnight drying out of about 4 lbs of top round and 1 lb of london broil. Oh and this beer is awesome.

After the drying its off into the marinade. I did two different kinds.

these recipes are for 1 lb so I doubled it

1 tablespoon Tender Quick OR Kosher salt
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Honey
1/2 tablespoon A1 Steak Sauce
2 teaspoons Beef rub
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
Hot pepper powder or Hot sauce to taste
Enough chicken broth to cover

½ cup Worcestershire sauce
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
4 garlic cloves
2 tsp. Fresh ground Black pepper
2 tsp. Red chili powder
1 tsp. Onion powder
Enough chicken broth to cover

I set up the snake method on the smoker using 3 very small chunks of "Pennsylvania Fruit Wood." I was shooting for a target temp of 150-170 and this was darn near a perfect way to get it.

Then onto the smoker. I wanted to keep some of the garlic on...just to see...it was pretty good.

Checking...almost there...stay on target.

Done! The problem with Jerky is that I can never keep it around long enough. so good. Its a touch salty for me (which is probably a lot!) which might be because of the broth or maybe cut the quick tender in half...I dunno. I'll play around a little next time.

Also, my buddy came up from the Eastern shore of MD and brought crabs and rock fish. The rock fish was brined for about an hour then smoked at a target temp of 270 for a little over an hour - and oh man was it good.

Sorry no plated pics and we just went carnivore on it.

Oh and here is a cookie stuffed with a cookie...thanks Mrs Lynch

Now that's doing it right. I might do your jerky receipt, only I think I'll hang them between the slats on the grate

Super looking jerky and fish Chris!

I've made a lot of jerky in my life, none has looked better than yours!

Hey Chris, thanks for sharing those jerky recipes. Oh man, Rock Fish. I used to love to go over to the coast and get them. Your whole cook looks fantastic. Love the dessert too.

Chris;
Great job on both the jerky AND the fish. I often cook Salmon, cod, and steelhead on a plank. I'll have to expand that to other fish and will also try doing it on my smoker (sans the plank). Your fish looks YUMMY!!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Old Brown Dog Ale? That stuff has been around a long time! It was great stuff, i'll have to look for it again...
You like it?

Jerky looks AWESOME!!! As does the RFish!
Do you notice any "meat" scent in the fish smoked on the same cooker?

Nice looking jerky you did there. Missed hav.ing jerky around this year, hope to get my elk this fall.

Jerky looks good! I have been wanting to try and make some for a long time, I may give it a shot soon. The fish looks tasty also!

Nailed it all Chris. Haven't had fresh striper in years...we always grilled with Cajun seasoning and lemon...but I love the idea of smoked. Excellent!

Nice jerky and fish Chris..you did good!! My jerky never says long enuf to bother with the quick tender..try kosher salt next go round!!

Good stuff!!

Old Brown Dog Ale? That stuff has been around a long time! It was great stuff, i'll have to look for it again...
You like it?

Jerky looks AWESOME!!! As does the RFish!
Do you notice any "meat" scent in the fish smoked on the same cooker?

Hey Jim. Yes the beer was pretty good. I am more of an IPA guy but I did enjoy this very much!

As to the odor/scent of meat...not at all, and there was probably about a 2 hour window before I put the fish on.

Back