Is Thermoworks Feeling the Heat?

Actually I upgraded for the light and rotating display. The Mk4 doesn't seem faster than my old Classic did.
That is the exact same reason that I upgraded to the MK4. The wake-up mode was a nice surprise - for which I was very grateful
2 weeks ago, when I accidentally left it open all weekend.

MEH One second, two, hell even 5. Even the cheapest Thermopro I bought for $9.00 on an Amazon Lightning sale reads out faster than my eyes can focus on it. It's 2.5 seconds according to the specs. In the end all you need is a temp. Yes I like the 5 year warranty but at that price it should be lifetime IMO. Heck when my original Tpro broke nearly 3 years in, I called them and in 1 day had a brand new one on my door step
Yeah I know. That's like those people who spend all that extra money to get KitchenAid mixers. Just nonsense. I mean a mixer is a mixer, right?
You can get one at WalMart for almost nothing that will mix stuff up.

(FTR, I am the proud owner of a KitchenAid Professional stand mixer, as well as a KA 9 speed hand mixer. ;))

I’d order an Mk4 before I ordered that.
So would I.... at least partly because I'm Scotch.

I'm still using my original ThermaPen. We haven't managed to kill it in spite of our best efforts. I'm thinking about picking up a clearance Mk IV. I don't have the need for what the purported new features are on the Thermapen One.

So would I.... at least partly because I'm Scotch.

I'm still using my original ThermaPen. We haven't managed to kill it in spite of our best efforts. I'm thinking about picking up a clearance Mk IV. I don't have the need for what the purported new features are on the Thermapen One.
I have an original and an Mk4, for $69 you should upgrade to the MK4. AAA battery is nice and the auto off and lighted display and auto rotation are nice upgrades.

I agree with others who own the Mk4 no reason for me to upgrade and like others said if your on the fence order it for 69 bucks before they are gone. Five year warranty is nice, I never thought they would have any add ons its waterproof adding ports or whatever IMO would have been impossible for them to keep it waterproof.

Interesting they are staying to the high end personally I think its a good move why try to compete with the knockoff's when it appears on Amazon there are like 6 or 7 companies if not more selling similar products. You want the best you got to pay for the best.

Edit: I am not sure why they would not keep the Mk4 around like the kept the classic around, get rid of the classic which maybe they have done and have the Mk4 as the lower cost entry.

Last edited:
I have an original and an Mk4, for $69 you should upgrade to the MK4. AAA battery is nice and the auto off and lighted display and auto rotation are nice upgrades.
I would agree that the battery in the original Thermapen is an issue, it's a 12v but in an N sized form factor. Fortunately, in my case, they do last for years, and BatteriesPlus does have them on the shelf.

They'll be on sale soon enough. For 6 years of research and all the build up it wasn't earth shattering. I was pretty much spot on. I figured it had more to do with internal changes then gimmick features.

Yeah I know. That's like those people who spend all that extra money to get KitchenAid mixers. Just nonsense. I mean a mixer is a mixer, right?
You can get one at WalMart for almost nothing that will mix stuff up.

(FTR, I am the proud owner of a KitchenAid Professional stand mixer, as well as a KA 9 speed hand mixer. ;))
There are those who feel that way. I get calls and emails all the time asking can I fix their Made in China POC. But it's apples to oranges. We're not discussing a piece of equipment that is made to do "heavy lifting". Just a gauge with a needle on it and a readout.

Pretty disappointing product reveal by thermoworks in my opinion. Those new features just won't matter to most people. And I wonder how long it will take thermopro and others to incorporate that technology that makes the one second reading possible? Probably not long unless thermoworks has it patented.

Well. They supposedly took 6 years to develop it, so, I would assume they applied for patents. But it doesnt take a whole lot to get around that

I guess the patent would depend on how proprietary the new technology is. If it's just a refinement of existing thermocouple technology i wouldn't think it's patent worthy? But maybe it's more than that? It should be interesting to see what happens.

After seeing the improvement's from the MK4 to this I see absolutely no reason to upgrade my Mk4. And I'm guessing thermal works realizes this. I'm assuming that's why they're discontinuing the old one. There really isn't a big enough gap and price or performance to keep production of both. At least That's what I believe, and their marketing probably came to the same conclusion. I got the emails also. Did seem like a lot of hype for what the product ended up being.

Today I saw this so I'll drop it here in case anyone is interested.

Even if they're not. What's the diff? If my ThermaPro reads a piece of meat at say 135 and the TW reads the same piece at 137 are you gonna taste/see the difference? I get having top shelf things. I really do. I have Bosch power tools and DeWalt where some cheap HF knock off might do the same job at half the cost. But power tools do more than turn a screw or drill hole. There are other considerations. I may see those things but you might not and simply buy the HF. We'll both get our respective job done.
I am not gonna flip off someone for buying HF power tools nor am I for someone who wants to spend $100 on a Thermapen. Life is short. I spend my $$$ where I see actual value. I see better value buying a $15 tool in this case.

NIST certifiability.... It's nice for home, more of an issue in a commercial environment. I'm more interested in it's repeatability and accuracy, i.e. +/- 1 degree F? 3 degrees? That's about the limit of what I'd accept. Thermoprobes should easily be able to accomplish that, but there are other details in the electronics that will contribute to that.

Beyond that, I'm not too concerned about auto on/off, rotating displays, backlit displays, or water resistance, or a reduction in reading time from 2 seconds to 1.

I've got a Thermopen that's going on 6 or 7 years(possibly more I've lost track). I've had others like the Lavatools Javelin that's a glorified fridge magnet. I guess the magnet was an awesome feature! Now it's the only feature! So you can buy once and have something that will last you years or you can buy junk and replace it every couple of years. That's up to you. To me the Thermopen is worth every penny I've paid. That said I'm not racing to buy the new one either. If I was in the market, Thermoworks is where I'd go and I'd probably buy the biggest, baddest.

I hope I am able to write back in a few years and say that both of my ThermoPro thermometers are still chugging along. Maybe not. I can see points made by Dustin but also by those who don't see the value. It is certainly true that you can have a box full of ThermoPro TP19H thermometers for the cost of one new Thermapen One. But, for many, the potential for failure isn't worth it vs. having the best. For all my posts about ThermoPro - and I DO like them - Thermoworks is definitely the best.

I hope I am able to write back in a few years and say that both of my ThermoPro thermometers are still chugging along. Maybe not. I can see points made by Dustin but also by those who don't see the value. It is certainly true that you can have a box full of ThermoPro TP19H thermometers for the cost of one new Thermapen One. But, for many, the potential for failure isn't worth it vs. having the best. For all my posts about ThermoPro - and I DO like them - Thermoworks is definitely the best.
Anything not from China is a plus for me when there's that option. I'll go out of my way to do so.

Understand this is speculation on my part because I am not going to spend $100 on something to take it apart. But I will lay odds the PCB and probes are from China, Malaysia or some such other place and simply assembled here. Again speculation because I refuse to spend money to find out. But given so many other like products are produced the same way. Likely true

You spend your money on tools they way you want to and I consider this a tool.. When I bought my Mk4 I chose it over the classic because of the backlit disply as well as battery life. I value the waterproof feature if I am cleaning up in the sink my Q stuff and knock it into the water I don't have to worry about it being fried or maybe I have it outside beside one of my grills go in to do something and a downpoor starts which is fairly frequent in ATL, I have done more stupid things by the way talking about knocking it into the sink. Could care less about the magnet thing as at least in my house there isn't going to be a therm stuck to the stainless steel fridge when I got like 9 drawers to store it in.

I'm with Dustin if something happens down the road and it needs to be replaced although I have been saying that about my Maverick ET for probably 10 years or whatever I would not hesitate to lay out the cash for the new model and my wife who uses it as much as I do would have no qualms about me spending the money. Thermoworks is not targeting the Thermopro buyer that is obvious I think about them like I do Weber who is not trying to compete against the cheapo gas grills.

Back