Is Thermoworks Feeling the Heat?

Been thinking about getting one of those oscillating tools myself. Thing is I don't know why :D
Trust me its never good when you need to pull that tool out and the HF one is okay. These idiots who did the brick mold on my exterior door shot a million nails in it thats where that tool is usefull with a Bimetal blade try to cut as many as you can with the tool so makes it easier to pull it off had to use it to replace rot on a garage door jam also.

Buy once cry once vs buy and toss. I'm trying to think back but I think I have purchased 8 MK4s 6 of those as gifts. Not one has had an issue and everyone loves them. I'm not one that goes out just to buy the most expensive and say it's the best. Hunsaker 304 ss grill grates are a perfect example. They can't be beat IMO. Made in the USA reasonable price vs others and thick yet thin to get full exposure to heat and the easy cleaning and durability of true 304 ss. Half the price of Killa Grilla and sns China made takes them out of the running. Most Amazon ss grates are China made or not 304 ss. Why not buy American or other than China if there's an option? Especially when price isn't an issue.

This is the rabbit hole weber is going down now. I'd much rather pay a few more dollars for them to keep the quality and made in the USA. Sadly that's leaving the brand. IMO they have the market to be profitable without cheapened products or moving to China.

To me and this is how I feel but grilling is a American tradition so I try to keep it as American as I can.
I do like my Killa Grilla grates as they’re slightly larger than the standard grates and more stable. Also, they clean up so well.
I have a 10 year old Thermapen and bought the MK 4 as a backup while they were on sale.
The most important upgrades for me are knives.

I would just take issue that I am not sure it is fair to lump ThermoPro in with the slew of no-name, here today, gone tomorrow sellers
Issue well taken and that was a bad comparison on my part as certainly they took care of Larry when he had a problem.

It has to be said that you could fill a small box with very capable ThermoPro thermometers that for most of us backyard users would be all that is ever needed. Plunk one in a bucket of water? Just pull a new one out of the box
LMAO on that one can't deny what your saying. :)

Interesting reading !

But no one has yet to answer my curiosity....

For those who have some calibration knowledge, before my retirement, I was a member of ISA. (Most of my working life included electrical, electronics, process control, process instrumentation.) Back then, ISA was the Instrumentation Society of America. Now it's International, with apparently more focus on Automation. ISA Standards, like ANSI Standards, Mil-Spec Standards, and IEC Standards, describe the techniques and practices to use in Automation, Instrumentation and Systems, including ISA Calibration Standards for process instruments.

We use our classic and Mk4 weekly and sometimes daily. Will probably keep what we have for now....

I have 4 Taurus revolvers and 1 Rossi(Taurus owned) and 2 Taurus pistols...among other perhaps more notable brands including S&W, Ruger and Colt. I'm a retired NJ state cop and I'd stake my life on any one of the Taurus products.
Your assessment of perceived value is spot on.
I have had a Thermapen for six years and it's faltering. $70 with a one year warranty. Sorry, not again for me. I have one Thermopro that works fine but is stuck in the open position. I just bought two of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S93EQUK/?tag=tvwb-20

....one for both homes. $14 each delivered. They work great and I've used them to grill fish...especially swordfish, steaks, chicken on my Webers and also for slower cooks on my Kamado. My only requirement is accuracy....and accuracy in 3-5 seconds is just fine.

Good to hear a retired cops take on Taurus revolvers. I have one and am going to buy another.....

Last edited:
It's hard to judge something like this. A few people saying, "Mine died after five years" is not necessarily representative. Some people are easy on products, other people ride them hard and put them away wet. A few people get bad units, some people never have a problem. It's impossible to generalize.

It doesn't matter in the backyard, but it matters in industry, food service, etc. in terms of guaranteeing accurate measurements.
I agree it's hard to judge something like that in regards to durability. Anecdotal evidence is just that - anecdotal. I fully expect thermapen thermometers to have the edge in durability overall. But if that's worth paying 300 to 400% more is an individual decision.

Yes, great discussion here. It's hard to add anything with relevance that hasn't already been said.
Up until recently, my best thermometers were ThermoPro. Before that, Maverick. A couple of months ago I bought the Thermoworks Smoke X2 w/ Billows (25% off sale) and was very impressed with the build quality. When the Thermapen Mk4 went on sale for $69 I thought this is my chance to get a really good instant read. Did I need it? No. Will I buy the Thermapen One? No, not now, maybe in ten years.
I think for Thermoworks, coming out with the Thermapen One is just a necessary step in remaining the best instant read thermometer money can buy. When you are at the top it is hard to make groundbreaking, earth shattering improvements.

I agree it's hard to judge something like that in regards to durability. Anecdotal evidence is just that - anecdotal. I fully expect thermapen thermometers to have the edge in durability overall. But if that's worth paying 300 to 400% more is an individual decision.
So would that analogy apply to grills as well? If you could buy a Chinese knock off with no regulations vs a Weber for 300 to 400% less would you do so? It may be an individual decision but may have huge impact down the road to quality products vs cheap knockoffs. It's happening every day as we speak. Weber is falling from an American made product with American jobs to China made with China labor. That should matter to all of us at some point. It's more big picture then individual choices for me.

For what has been deemed a pretty lackluster unveiling, this sure has generated a lot of discussion.
We are up to 7 pages on Thermometers. :)

I kind of disagree with lackluster, its faster, better display had all the features of the Mk4 easier to get to the battery and its 6 bucks more at list price.

Just having fun here what did people expect it was going to jump out of your hand into the meat get a reading then jump back in your hand? A magnet go to Amazon buy a roll of stick on magnetic tape for like 5 bucks voila you can stick it to metal. :)

So would that analogy apply to grills as well? If you could buy a Chinese knock off with no regulations vs a Weber for 300 to 400% less would you do so? It may be an individual decision but may have huge impact down the road to quality products vs cheap knockoffs. It's happening every day as we speak. Weber is falling from an American made product with American jobs to China made with China labor. That should matter to all of us at some point. It's more big picture then individual choices for me.
I don't disagree. And if you'll note I myself own a thermapen mk4. And a couple of weber grills.

But that doesn't change the fact that it's still an individual choice. I think the American market has proven that being American made isn't enough in and of itself. The American made product has to be better in some way (be that performance or durability) to overcome a usually higher price. That's just the way it is.

I don't disagree. And if you'll note I myself own a thermapen mk4. And a couple of weber grills.

But that doesn't change the fact that it's still an individual choice. I think the American market has proven that being American made isn't enough in and of itself. The American made product has to be better in some way (be that performance or durability) to overcome a usually higher price. That's just the way it is.
Or people just don't care. Price is the driving force in a disposable world. Again how many would put Weber out of business just to buy a cheaper Chinese knockoff? That’s what individual choices end results have in today's global market. Another issue is knockoffs of knockoffs. One company has a banner notice of such issues because they don't want consumers to fall pray. The other I doubt cares because they’re game is just that.

Or people just don't care. Price is the driving force in a disposable world. Again how many would put Weber out of business just to buy a cheaper Chinese knockoff? That’s what individual choices end results have in today's global market. Another issue is knockoffs of knockoffs. One company has a banner notice of such issues because they don't want consumers to fall pray. The other I doubt cares because they’re game is just that.

But I think weber and thermoworks prove its not completely a price driven disposable world. If that were the case they wouldn't survive in the face of their much cheaper competition.

I don’t mind spending money on quality, HK and S&W for what it’s worth.
I was having problems with my original thermopen and ordered an MK4, before I received it I got it figured out.
I was tempted to keep using the original but it may never go out so I use the MK4, I wanted to order another at the $69 price but that doesn’t make sense. I do love what the MK4 brought to the table though.

Last edited:
But if they add a magnet and a hanging hole, then it would be fair for the other manufacturers to call the new thermapen a knockoff product....just saying haha
Now that the new model is out, I guess they didn't dare add the magnet and hanging hole.

Back