Is Thermoworks Feeling the Heat?

PIcked up a Thermopro from Lowes a few weeks ago, wanted to have something for my "grill kit" that wouldn't be a big deal if it got left outside or something. Overall, pretty impressed, but it is not as fast as my Thermapen MK4. For the price though, not bad at all.

If I were making the decisions at Thermoworks, I wouldn't try to compete on price, other than maybe what they are doing with some sales now and then. Instead, I would come out with a flashier looking instant read, but still top drawer quality like their current offerings. One thing l like about the new TP620 that I posted above is that it LOOKS professional and high tech. I understand that in the end, that isn't the top consideration. But, if you are spending $40 or even $90, your device ought to have some style!
Style is in the eye of the beholder to be honest I think the MK4 looks more stylish than that link you posted above for the $49 Thermopro also to be fair to the Mk4 that Thermopro is IP65 rated and the Mk4 is IP67 rated. For anyone who cares and maybe to save $20 bucks you don't care here is the difference.

The IP65 Rating vs. the IP67 Rating: Head to Head

If you’re doing an IP65 vs. IP67 comparison, you should know that both are high-level ratings that provide excellent protection, and both are suitable for outdoor enclosures.. However, there are a few key distinctions that may make a big difference for your specific application.

The “6” digit at the beginning of both ratings means that both IP65- and IP67-rated enclosures offer total protection from solids ingress. Both of these enclosure types are typically equipped with gasket seals that are capable of blocking out even ultra-fine particles. Thus, both are suitable for most outdoor applications that require dust protection.

The major difference between an IP65 rating and an IP67 rating is in the degree of liquid ingress protection that they offer:

• An IP65 rated enclosure gives protection against low pressure water jets from any direction, as well as condensation and water spray. It’s suitable for most outdoor enclosures that won’t encounter extreme weather such as flooding.
  • An IP67 rated enclosure offers much more substantial protection against liquid ingress. An enclosure with this rating will even protect against temporary submersion at depths of up to one meter.
The only major protective feature that neither of these enclosure ratings offer is protection against prolonged submersion at depths over one meter. If your enclosure may be submerged for extended periods of time and at substantial depths, you’ll need an IP68 enclosure, which is rated to protect against these conditions.

Brian,

That's very informative and helpful. I could see where someone would view the higher rating of the MK-4 as being important. And, I agree style is in the eyes of the beholder. Still, I am willing to bet that whatever new product they are getting ready to unveil, it will have a "flashier" appearance than the MK-4. It will be fun to see what they come out with.

Here is another article Jon its a comparison of the tp620 to the tp19 thought it would be of interest. Another thing and I have mentioned this before is these knockoffs generally including the Thermopro's don't mention that they are NSF certified which I won't bore you with what that means just google and you will see.

The MK4 is so it would be another thing to consider and it adds cost to go thru the process. Maybe important to you or anyone else or maybe not but most of this stuff is made in China just saying.

Chris, I see it basically the same way. Although, I have a feeling if you did not just stand over the IP65 and say "oh crap" fifteen times but rather reached in and scooped it out right away, I am pretty sure it would be fine. The IP67, you could probably call your son down from his bedroom and ask him to grab the thermometer out of the sink for you because you were holding the two racks of ribs with no where to set them down. And the IP67 would be expected to be just fine.

Bruce that is the question as I see it drop the IP65 in your sink pull it out as quickly as you can and hopefully and I mean hopefully you are okay. The IP67 should survive without any problem a meter is equal to about 3 feet of water in change so certainly should survive the sink but I think the article is also saying is IP67 is more resistant to condensation also. Kind of like looking at your display that condensation made it hard to read or whatever since the moisture got inside the display.

I think its a bit of a false statement that Thermopro is making but their are others making that statement on these knockoffs also. Saying "IP65 completey waterproof structure" which is not true you can run it under the faucet and I assume the probe and not the entire unit but its not compeletely waterproof.

If I read it correctly, IP67 means the unit survives a drop into a kitchen sink filled with water, IP65 means the unit may not survive.

I used to work in a lab and performed IP tedting and testing to other standards. It's been about 10 years since I left the job, so I don't remember the exact clauses of the standards, but I think both will likely survive a momentary drop in a bucket of water. If I remember correctly, the more stringent ip67 test is done as a water immersion test, where the sample is fully immersed in water for an extended period of time. On the otherhand, the ip65 test is a water spray test.

Note that just because a product claims an IP rating, does not necessarily mean it will perform as rated either. I think some manufacturers "self declare" they are compliant while other manufacturers may pay money to an accredited lab to "certify" the product complies to a standard.

Note that just because a product claims an IP rating, does not necessarily mean it will perform as rated either. I think some manufacturers "self declare" they are compliant while other manufacturers may pay money to an accredited lab to "certify" the product complies to a standard.
That is really good info and doing some research on the IP67 probably the same for IP65 you do have to pay money I believe to certify the product which I am sure that Thermoworks does.

As someone who has both a thermopen and a much cheaper thermopro in my opinion the thermopen needs updating. The thermopen needs the built in magnets, a hanging hole and a bigger display in my opinion. Little things but they make a difference. And when you pay top dollar you expect the very best

As someone who has both a thermopen and a much cheaper thermopro in my opinion the thermopen needs updating. The thermopen needs the built in magnets, a hanging hole and a bigger display in my opinion. Little things but they make a difference. And when you pay top dollar you expect the very best
But if they add a magnet and a hanging hole, then it would be fair for the other manufacturers to call the new thermapen a knockoff product....just saying haha

Email a few minutes ago from Thermoworks:

Months ago we closed out a few colors of Thermapen Mk4 and continued building a shorter list of colors. Now we’re closing out the remaining colors. We know that there are many questions and rumors. Here are a few with some answers:
FAQ:

Q: Why are you closing out the Mk4? Isn’t it the world’s best?

A: The Mk4 is in fact widely rated #1 and is the world’s best and fastest cooking thermometer. But something big is coming!
—————
Q: Are there any problems in the Mk4?
A: No. The Mk4 is the world’s best.
—————
Q: Why would I pay for the Mk4 if it is going to be replaced?
A: Because $69 is an amazing price that won’t be repeated. It really is a great, great deal on a thermometer that is the very best value even at full price.
—————
Q: Saving money is great but why would I want the Mk4 if it is going to be obsolete?
A: The Mk4 will NOT be “obsolete”. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Mk4. If you buy one on closeout, you’ll get an excellent tool that will last for many years. On January 1 it will not go dead. Its internal software will not expire. It’s AAA battery will be available for decades to come. If you get one, you will be happy with it!
—————
Q: Will there be a Mk5 Thermapen?
A: There will be something new and amazing.
—————
Q: When will you say what is coming?
A: We promise that the announcement is coming soon — before the end of June!
—————
Q: What could you possibly do to improve on the Mk4?
A: The full story is coming very soon. It will be worth it!
—————
Q: Should I take advantage of this price before they’re gone or wait to know what the new product is like?
A: That’s always the dilemma when a new product is approaching. If you want to wait for the announcement before taking advantage of the Mk4 closeout pricing, we believe we will still have stock of the Mk4 when the new product begins shipping. However, we can’t guarantee the availability of any specific closeout colors. The $69 price is anticipated to continue until they are gone. Don’t expect further decreases.
—————
Q: Will the Classic Thermapen continue?
A: It will.
—————
Q: If I want the new product, shouldn’t I wait until it’s been on the market for awhile so all the bugs are worked out?
A: What’s coming is indeed a big advance but we’ve been working on it for nearly six years. The production line is running. Everything has been tested like crazy. This will be our most solid product launch ever. We’ve been making Thermapens for decades. We know a lot about this. I wouldn’t wait.
—————
Q: Can’t you tell me anything about the new product?
A: Yes we absolutely can on the day the announcement is made. It is coming fast.

Yeah, Bob, I anticipate a really nice new product from Thermoworks.

As I said before, I think it will be at least a little snazzier looking and probably incorporate a few of the good ideas the "knockoff" brands have brought out. Look for a larger and brighter display. I hope it is a real home run for them. Yes, I am an owner of now 2 ThermoPro thermometers (partly to test for myself), but I also own a Thermoworks Smoke, their little Thermopop, and even one of their refrigerator/freezer thermometers, all of which I like very much.

While I am not above using a so-called "knockoff", I do think Thermoworks is an excellent, classy company. I want only the best for them. Who knows, maybe Santa will bring me one of these new ones! :coolkettle:

p.s. While I wouldn't argue that ThermoPro is a "knockoff" brand to some extent, I do think they rise above most of their "other" brand competition in that they actually have customer service and offer a full range of thermometer products.

I am anticipating that Thermoworks puts out something more than a redesign or nominal upgrade. I hope it more of a transformation with one or more "new and unique" features.

Look for some kind audio feature.

If it turns out to be a game changer - and that would be great - look for some good deals on used MK-4 Thermapens!

Back