I may have smoked my last rack of ribs...

It's been a long time since I BBQ some CSR's, will have to do this. I see them in the store, and they're $2+ per pound, and then I look over and see the butt for 98 cents a pound and think to myself, I'll just buy the butt and cut my own CSR's. But then I get home and I see my WSM looking all sad and lonely, and I end up smoking the whole butt. (if you said that anywhere else but on a BBQ forum, you'd get some strange looks)

I used to make them all the time but haven't seen any in the stores for a long time now. Even our Costco hasn't had any.
Really liked them much easier than real ribs. Guess I'll just have to pick up a butt on sale and cut my own.

Dan,
In Kentucky CSRs are sold bone in and bone out at many or all stores.
Costco and Sam's had bigger packages.
I like them as they have a sort of softer but still firm chew. They are great with rub or BBQ sauce. Like eating a thick pork steak. Most store butchers will slice for you atcno charge.
Yours look perfect Dan.

So, the CSR was my goto when my wife would tell me at about noon that she wanted pulled pork for dinner. Rather than say no, I'd get CSRs since they cook faster and they almost always make a very good pulled pork.

Partly because posting the link is not a copyright infringement? It’s giving following credit where the author is recognized not just rewritten and posted
He can post the link like he did here.

Also, when I type up a recipe, if I have it, I always post the source.

Know it’s not barbecuing or grilling but making pork adobo tonight with CSR’s. In the colder months also use them to make a pork puttanesca ragu. A very versatile cut of pork indeed.

I use them for Texas spuds rather than a whole pork shoulder or butt. Quicker to cook than a pork butt and more surface area for the bark. I also used them for char sui pork.

I would just be careful. I have seen, in several Supermarket Chains, that in addition to CSRs cut from Boston Butts, they package some that have been cut from Pork Loins. Those have totally different character and are very easy to overcook and dry out.

BD

I would just be careful. I have seen, in several Supermarket Chains, that in addition to CSRs cut from Boston Butts, they package some that have been cut from Pork Loins. Those have totally different character and are very easy to overcook and dry out.

BD
Yep I've seen them. The ones that are more pink are from the loin compared to the red ones which are from the shoulder.

The money muscle is the section of the pork butt on the opposite end of the bone. It is similar to a pork loin, in that it's a cylinder of meat that's about 2-3 inches thick. Pitmasters remove it from the butt and then slice it into 1/4-1/2-inch thick pieces and layer it in the box as the star of the show.

My GF brought home 2 packages of CSR from the grocery store and put them in the freezer. They had slits in them, not cut all of the way through. I didn’t know what they were and looked it up. Informed her that they weren’t “ribs” but cut from the shoulder.

Having them tonight for dinner. Decided to cut all of the way through, will use a rub and cook on my Weber gas grill. Will sauce them near the end of grilling.

We were at Costco the other night and saw big packages of CSR. Might have to get one for the smoker for pulled pork.

Bob, do a whole butt for the PP, the CSR is a nice “fix” when you don’t have time for the butt! I like them dry rubbed, indirect for about forty minutes with Some sauce on the side. Very meaty, great moisture content!
I suppose one could do them for pulled but, there is something so relaxing letting the bullet smoke along all day while doing some backyard project (assembling a new grill accessory?) and knowing that by late afternoon/ evening you will be met with fresh smoked pulled pork! Ice cold beer, and the satisfaction of knowing you really didn’t waste a day!

Timothy,

I agree. I have a pork butt in the freezer we got recently and will smoke it for pulled pork. If grilling the CSR works out, I’ll do that with them and not for PP.

Back