I may have smoked my last rack of ribs...

Got it, I knew it was some kind of pork but don't think I've come across that cut before. I will look for them. Edit: I do know what a pork butt shoulder is, I buy them all the time to make pulled pork. I guess I didn't realize that you were cutting them up to make your country style ribs. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes, but I'm definitely going to try this!

Last edited:
Looks Great, tell me more, what’s the texture compared to pulled pork or actual ribs.
Walk me through slicing too if you don’t mind, I want to try this.

Those were my go to bbq years ago.
They are just easier and don’t taste half bad.
I haven’t done them in years.
I’m gonna have to revisit that.
That cut makes some nice crockpot chili verde that’s even easier too.

I bought some baby backs the other day and the price was ridiculous. It was mother's Day so I got to do what you got to do. The country style ribs are very good and a lot cheaper than baby backs

Looks Great, tell me more, what’s the texture compared to pulled pork or actual ribs.
Walk me through slicing too if you don’t mind, I want to try this.

Texture was great. Better than pulled pork and better than ribs that I've smoked

I didn't take many pics. This is an 18 inch grate on my large BGE for size reference.

20230516_203652.jpg

I sliced the shoulder about an inch thick, then about an inch and a half wide.

Seasoned HEAVY with my rib rub the night before.

went on at 3.20pm pit temp about 225. Mix of oak, JD lump and a chunk of apple. Bumped the temp to 275 around 5pm. They had not yet reached "stall temp" so I bumped temp up to 300F. About 6.15 moved the CSRs to a baking dish covered in foil. Instant read temp was in the 190s. I put the foil wrapped dish back on at 300F for about 15 mins to warm the dish and then wrapped a beach towel around the foil covered dish while the Mac n cheese was finishing.

They had a good bite, but not really a bark. It had a nice crisp edge, but not bark. A lot of the fat rendered so they presented as lean, yet were quite moist and still had some fat for flavor.

Last edited:
They taste just as good as ribs and can be made in about 20 minutes when cooked at medium high heat on a gasser. I like the bone in csr. The first time I tried them low and slow I dried them out to much. Now that I have a smokeFire I'll have to try Dan's method. Those look great.

Looks great!
I agree, CSR give a lot of bang for the Buck! Easier to eat, too.
When I was looking at the picture in the Pyrex I initially thought that you had pineapple under them then realized it was your trivet!

I like ribs, yet the CSRs are consistently winning.

Easier to smoke
Easier to eat
More consistent flavor
About half the cost

View attachment 70687View attachment 70688View attachment 70689View attachment 70690View attachment 70691
Looking good Dan. Used to be my choice but the wife says she doesn't like them, though I'm not sure she's ever had them. Next time I grind up a shoulder, going to cut up some CSRs while she watches and see what she thinks.

For me, nothing will ever replace a slab of St. Louis ribs!

I normally use bone in. They can take the heat like a st louis' pork steak.
Bonless do cook quick and seem leaner.

Back