How many own more than one WSM?

Josh - CT

TVWBB Member
l am loving my 22 WSM. It’s size has been great for hosting larger groups of people (all socially distanced of course) at my house. Its been great for large quantities of ribs, chicken etc.

My immediate family “might” be feeling some BBQ fatigue from my love of cooking on the WSM. I have been considering getting a 14 inch WSM so I could continue experimenting with new techniques, rubs and sauces between gatherings even if it was just for myself.

Anyone else do this? Is there enough similarity between sizes or am I better off practicing on the larger grill?

I started with a 22", then added an 18" for smaller cooks. I use the 22 for ribs, brisket, larger quantities of butts, etc. The 18 is mostly for one or two butts, chickens, etc. I found a 14 on clearance one Fall at Walmart and picked it up, but ended up giving it to a family member that wanted to start smoking before I every used it. I find the 18 and 22 are very similar, with the 18 maybe a little easier to control temps - but that could be my imagination.

Used WSMs are plentiful and cheap on CL and FBMP. Especially 18s, but some 14s too.

So pick up another cooker used for $100 or so. If you find that you really only need one, then sell the other for what you paid for it.

My 14" and my 18" were CL finds, I don't have a 22" simply because I have an ugly drum smoker.

Every size has their place and as the OP has contimplated to use the 14" to test new things.

14" & 18" smokers for me. I use the 14" most of all, but the 18" model is hard to beat for larger portions.

I started with the 22, and now that all the kids are out of the house I just don't need to make that much food now. So I sold the 22 and bought a 14. I love the 14 for normal weekend cooks. But, if I had the need for larger cooks I would absolutely have both. The 22 is a beast but a lot of times I just want to smoke a single rack of ribs or 20 some wings and I wouldn't fire up the 22 for that, and the 14 is perfect for that.

Umm...I own a few. :) One, two, three, four, five, six, seven...yeah, seven. Two are collectors items, others are for photography. I mostly cook on my original 1996 18.5" WSM.

I've got two 18s, but that's largely because I keep one at home and one at the cabin. Only on a couple of occasions have I used both on the same day, much more typical to use one smoker and one grill on the same day (for instance, ribs in smoker and wings on Vortex.) And the second one was a cheap auction find that has done a lot of good work for not many monies.

I have two 22's. I like being able to do long cooks on one and shorter cooks on the other at the same time. I'll run one with ribs the other wings etc.

I have a few like Chris but not that many😮. Have 2 22’s and 3 18’s. Started with a 22 then found a C code 18 (which is my favorite and main one used). Bought 2 more older 18’s for our sons when they move out and a second 22 when on a bbq team.

I had all 3 at one time. All of them CL finds. I ended up selling the 22, it was just too big for my needs. I use the 18 more that the 14, but that's due to the fact that the 18 stays outside while the 14 is stored in the garage.

I have one of each size. I started with the new version of the 18" with the dome thermometer (2008 I think? not sure, got it the January after it came out) and about five years later I got a 14 for Christmas. Last year I finally picked up a used 22 from facebook marketplace for a great price. The 14 is mainly used for steaks, jalapeno poppers and queso in the dutch oven, the 18 is mainly used for pork butts and chickens and smaller turkeys and the 22 is used for ribs and brisket simply because I can fit those on there much easier than on the 18.

My 2008 WSM 18" Classic, Weber Performer Deluxe 22" and Weber Smoky Joe 14" presently meets all my smoking and grilling needs. My next Grill will be a gas grill, either a Weber Summit or Genesis.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 7
I have 4 22in kettles, 1 18 in kettle 1 18 WSM 1 22 WSM 1 22 UDS 1 14 UDs 1 18 Jumbo Joe & 1 14 jumbo joe and lastly but not least 120 gal reverse flow (home made from an Air Compressor) and a Q200. It's just the two of us at home. I think I might have a problem with either BBQ, hoarding, or spending too much time on CL.

I have 4 22in kettles, 1 18 in kettle 1 18 WSM 1 22 WSM 1 22 UDS 1 14 UDs 1 18 Jumbo Joe & 1 14 jumbo joe and lastly but not least 120 gal reverse flow (home made from an Air Compressor) and a Q200. It's just the two of us at home. I think I might have a problem with either BBQ, hoarding, or spending too much time on CL.
13 is a problem. Better get one more to avoid bad luck.

Sorry, I forgot the New Braunsfel Bandera. So no more bad luck. Wife keeps bugging me to thin out the herd, but I just can't seem to get rid of things. All of the above were either Garage sale or Craigslist items except for the 2 UDS & the reverse flow. All of the kettles were $10.00 or less. $125.00 for the 22WSM which was unopened in box & $75.00 for the 18WSM The Bandera was a curb alert. Good thing the bride loves my Q.

Back