How Long To Get My 18" WSM Up To Temp?

If you're suggesting that you should wait for the WSM to come up to 225-250 before adding the meat, there's no need to wait.

See the Minion Method described here:

After following the steps of placing some lit charcoal on top of the unlit bed of charcoal and assembling the cooker, the key step is:

Fully open all three bottom vents. Leave the top vent fully open for ventilation throughout the entire cooking process.

Add the meat and smoke wood to the cooker immediately. The cool meat helps to control the ascent of the cooker temperature.

The cooker temperature will begin to rise gradually. When it reaches 200°F, adjust all three bottom vents to 25% open and monitor the temp carefully until it reaches 225-250°F. Adjust the vents as necessary to maintain this temp.

The reason I ask is that every time I start my WSM, the temps are off the charts - 300-325. I use the minion method all the time. I don't want to put any food on as soon as I add the charcoal and wood from the starter chimney, especially when the temps are that high

The reason I ask is that every time I start my WSM, the temps are off the charts - 300-325. I use the minion method all the time. I don't want to put any food on as soon as I add the charcoal and wood from the starter chimney, especially when the temps are that high
You are either adding too much lit or something else is wrong and I haven't a clue. ( maybe thermo? )
I always start with a MM and add the meat immediately, never had a problem since 2008.
Usually takes about an hour to reach 275, I start closing down lower vents around 250.

I usually only use 10 to 12 lit charcoals and I use the minion method. Takes a bit longer but I don’t get the overshoot. Think of it as “sneaking up on it’ with respect to your target cook temperature. I have had success with this in my performer, E6, WSM 14 & 22.
Note that I follow the method listed by Chris above.

Yeah if your temperature is go way high you're adding too much lit coals to start with.... But it's going to go way low when you put that big hunk of 38° meat in there as well so... It's not really that big of a deal. I do let mine stabilize a little bit personally before I put the meat on but that's my preference.

If I add the right amount of coals , and not a big excess, my controller will have it running it 275 in 10 minutes.

It's easier with the blower to get it up to temperature.... Than it is to get it down if you add too many hot coals to start. I've accidentally added too many hot coals such that it took 30 plus minutes for the temperature to come down into 275 range... So long that the fire actually went out because the controller closed off all the air. ... You don't want that.

I usually only use 10 to 12 lit charcoals and I use the minion method. Takes a bit longer but I don’t get the overshoot. Think of it as “sneaking up on it’ with respect to your target cook temperature. I have had success with this in my performer, E6, WSM 14 & 22.
Note that I follow the method listed by Chris above.
So you place 10-12 lit coals from your chimney onto unlit coals that have been laid out usining the minion. Ok, how many unlit pieces of charcoal do you use?

I use a slightly different starting technique, lay smoke medium on the bottom, fill the ring to maximum capacity then put the center barrel on and, take the door off and light the edge with a torch, maybe three minutes? Then button things up and drop the protein on with back vents at about half front, full open, top full open. After about an hour I generally cut the back vents to 25-30% and go to bed.
Just one man’s technique.
Credit where it is most definitely deserved:
I will give tribute to Messrs, Brandizzi and Soo where credit is due, Harry Soo for the bottom smokewood trick, and Enrico Brandizzi for the ”sidewinder” ignition method. And of course, Chris Allingham for this forum where I learned BOTH of these pieces of information. It has allowed me to get a little more sleep the night before a big feast and not go nuts fretting about a five or ten degree swing in temperature.
Also tip of the hat to TonyUK who has helped me recognize that it will be done when it’s finished and the value of patience when barbecuing, I just wish I could find a source for some skin on pork legs to have some of his beautiful looking cracklings!
Thanks to all of you!

Last edited:
I would fill the WSM completely and then remove 12-15 coals from the center. Light those and pour them back into the space they came from. Open all the vents and then slowly close them as you get closer to the target temp.

If I'm aiming for 250 I'll close one vent completely around 220 and then start adjusting the other two as it warms.

So you place 10-12 lit coals from your chimney onto unlit coals that have been laid out usining the minion. Ok, how many unlit pieces of charcoal do you use?
I do what JWorden mentions above. Hope I did not confuse things by calling it the Minion Method.

I keep a log of all my cooks on my 18WSM

For butts and ribs I use a Soo's Donut load, 22 lit briquettes right into the center. Bowl in, empty. I set the bottom vents to 50/50/50, top 100 so as not to go so fast I can't catch my target temp on the way up and have to play with vents to settle back down.

Takes about 30 minutes to get to 250F.

ymmv.

From my Weber Smokey mountain smoker manual

Attachments

• 41AC3246-D09D-4B5B-A3D0-97EAEF841F8D.jpeg
    41AC3246-D09D-4B5B-A3D0-97EAEF841F8D.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 18
I keep a log of all my cooks on my 18WSM

For butts and ribs I use a Soo's Donut load, 22 lit briquettes right into the center. Bowl in, empty. I set the bottom vents to 50/50/50, top 100 so as not to go so fast I can't catch my target temp on the way up and have to play with vents to settle back down.

Takes about 30 minutes to get to 250F.

ymmv.
I should log my cooks but do not.

I'll take some pics of any big roast or turkey.

It's usually the shorter steaks or chops that get me; would be nice to look up how long pub burgers or a pork loin takes on the kettle, etc. Always longer than I think.

Back