How do you Smoke a Boneless Leg of Lamb?

Roger R.

TVWBB Fan
I love lamb, and tried smoking a boneless piece of leg one time. It turned out dry.
I would love to hear from folks who smoke this delightful meat successfully.
What wood do you use?
What rub do you use?
How hot & how long?

I just bought a 3.7 lb piece of boneless leg of lamb and want to try it again.
Your comments are really appreciated!

You don't smoke it, you grill it, indrect, with a few hunks of wood on the coals. Lamb is better hot and fast. And I'd look more at the 130-135 range.

Or you cook it on the rotisserie.

I've never cooked Lamb on my smoker - but knowing a bit about how fatty it is and the quality / texture of it. I would:

Take about the same COOKING approach that I would for Baby Back ribs
Use the usual herb mix that people do for Lamb
(Maybe try Alabama White Sauce with it - I would bet that it would be a good combo.)

I might add a chunk of wood but, I'm with Andrew.
I butterflied one a while back and it turned out beautifully! Indirect pretty hot, small piece of apple for smoke, about forty minutes, reverse sear as needed. Butterfly, bone,trim the fat pretty carefully and tie back to resemble its basic shape. The fat is where people tend to find the strong flavor, that's why I say trim closely.
Overnight marinade in EVOO, a little balsamic vinegar, rosemary and garlic.
Please, no sauce, but never send lamb to the table un garnished, a sprinkle of fresh chopped Italian parsley and a nice bottle of red wine.
Sorry, but sauce like white sauce would cover the delicate nature of good lamb. Think Mediterranean not Ozarks. Just a small drizzle of your best aged extra virgin olive oil, not too much though.

Last edited:
Please, no sauce, but never send lamb to the table un garnished, a sprinkle of fresh chopped Italian parsley and a nice bottle of red wine.
Sorry, but sauce like white sauce would cover the delicate nature of good lamb. Think Mediterranean not Ozarks. Just a small drizzle of your best aged extra virgin olive oil, not too much though.

That's why I was thinking the White Sauce - The stuff that I've read about is mayo based, which mostly melts-in like butter with some herbs (Definitely with ya' on NO "typical" BBQ-type sauce)... Most Lamb that I've had had what I thought was a "tallowy" taste to it (maybe it was more mutton than lamb, or so-so quality).

No sauce at least for me, white sauce will just be too greasy for my palate.
As to the tallow taste, trim it closer, it took me a few tries to realize I just needed to trim more. Age has a lot to do with it too, absolutely! There is a guy selling local lamb just west of town, I need to try his products!

Great info here, I have grilled some lamb once good although not perfect I need to add these tips and maybe the sear part. Love lamb from sandwiches,tacos, or just sliced.
Thanks.

Here are my notes from my first cook of leg of lamb. I've done it since on the rotisserie.

Leg of Lamb on Kettle

3.6 lb. deboned leg of lamb from Sams. Opened it up and cut some slits to open it up more.

Made a paste of oregano and mint, plus garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, olive oil, and lemon juice.

Slathered paste inside the leg, rolled it, and tied it up tight. Rubbed the outside with more of the paste, and put it in a zip-lock bag with more lemon juice overnight.

Fired some Stubbs briquets and filled the Weber briquet holders, with a drip pan in the center.

Put the lamb in the center and closed her up. Checked the temp at 30 minutes and every 15 thereafter until it hit 135 [next time stop at 130], which took a little less than 1.5 hours.

Temp in the kettle was 500 plus at mid-cook.

Let the lamb rest for about 15 minutes inside microwave.

Sliced and served on flatbread, with tzatziki (Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, cucumber, S&P), mint, lettuce, tomato, and onion.

It was medium, just a little pink in the center, but still very moist and flavorful.

I was shooting for medium rare. I would not go over 135 before I took it off. Next time pull at 130.

I'm going to do one on the kettle rotisserie, seems like it will be a piece of cake cook. I've only spun chickens and a turkey but the boneless legs at my butcher just scream out "put me on the rotisserie".

Donna that chimichurri sauce is right in my wife's wheelhouse of flavors I will definitely try it.

Last edited:

Back