Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Restaurant Burger

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
In recognition of today being National Hamburger Day...tell us if you prefer a homemade burger or a restaurant burger. If homemade, post a comment telling us what you like to make. If restaurant, tell us where you go and what you get!

F0658AC5-C889-4852-A76F-D04FDE77EDDC.jpg

Last edited:
I've had great burgers in restaurants, but it's hit or miss. For consistency we prefer homemade.

Our burgs are 87 or 90%, Deb's being about 1/4 lb, mine 1/2 lb. At the moment we're on a sliced blue cheese on top kick, mine with mayo, Deb's sometime ketchup. Occasionally fried peppers added. Oversize potato buns, buttered and toasted.

We were supposed to have part of our family over for burgers tonight but need to cancel due to possible showers and the covid bug. Didn't know it was burger day till your post, we'll have them with or without the kids!

On edit: the biggest improvement we had in burgers was when we started limiting how much we worked the burger into shape, as little as possible while not having them fall apart.

Last edited:
There may be one exception for me, there is a small (2 storefront) restaurant here “Nonla burger” which makes the best almost like home burger I have ever eaten! The chicken sando is amazing too and fries will simply make you happy!
If I’m traveling, Culver’s is the best “gut bomb” out there. For a regional chain.
I prefer one at home though.

Agreed, restaurant burgers are hit and miss, and sometimes regional. St. Louis has some good burger places. Thin, crispy edge diner style in STL my favorite is Carl's on Route 66, thicker burgers, although it's a pretty fancy place, the burgers at "The Block" in Webster Groves are hard to beat. Honorable mention goes to O'Connell's for some dang fine half-pounders. It seems like every restaurant I've been to in Minneapolis has killer burgers. The Map room in Cedar Rapids is also very good.

When I make em' at home, I usually stick to 3rd pound patties. My favorite topping is hot pepper cheese and guacamole, or a roasted and peeled pablano pepper. I don't usually go for "gourmet" buns, or toasting them although my son really likes it when I toast them. I wasn't planning on making burgers tonight, but now I might have to!

Don't mind burgers "out" but prefer to grind my own beef and make my own burgers in my pan/griddle or on my own grill. Not much for a lot of toppings either. S&P, maybe tomato, cheese, onions, lettuce (if I have it) about the end of it.
Forgot to mention I don't like really "lean" burgers. I try to keep my home grind in the 70/30 to 60/40 range. Even 80/20 seems too dry IMO

Last edited:
Lucky timing...I have a couple of cheap ribeyes to grind for burgers tonight!

I have to agree that homemade burgers are the better choice for control and consistency, but there are definitely some great places to get a burger. I don't mind driving 45 minutes each way to Wedl's in Jefferson, WI for one of theirs, and once a year I meet up with friends at Fred's in Burlington.

Chris, I see you started this thread at roughly 4:30am PDT...did you set your alarm and get up early on purpose?;)

<scratches head> That'd be a qualified "yes."

Restaurant burgers have the advantage of somebody else cleaning up, and occasionally the ability to try something new without having to buy a large package of something (think introducing someone to blue cheese.)

Home burgers..... I can heat it up however I want. Grilled, smoked, sous vide & sear, flat top, whatever I have. Make the patties whatever size I want. Top it with whatever I want.

There's reasons to go both ways.

I make a lot of plain burgers at home. I’ll use whatever I have. The one I am looking forward to making soon is gonna be topped with Hook’s Blue Paradise Bleu Cheese and my homemade applewood smoked bacon. Mmmmmm

We don't eat out very often and usually not for burgers.
We grind our own meat 80/20 or 70/30. Prefer a 1/4 pound if making a regular burger. Our favorites are smash burgers two thin patties with American cheese in the middle, pickle, onion, tomato, lettuce and a small toasted bun.

I voted homemade (of course)lol
I don't think I have ever ordered a burger in a restaurant.(at least since I was a teenager) And the things they call burgers in those drive thrus, :eek: :sick:

I voted restaurant but it's not by much. I love a good griddle burger. Our town has a handful of really cool old school burger joints. At home, I prefer a thicker grilled burger. I don't have the equipment to make griddle burgers and I'd rather get the tasted of the juices hitting the coals. Burgers are one of those things that are simplistic in theory but really hard to master.

Back