Harry Soo Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ redo of Snow's BBQ brisket

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
After watching Harry's original video where did cooked a 22 pound USDA Prime brisket as an homage to Tootsie Tomanetz at Snow's BBQ in Lexington, TX (current #1 rated barbecue joint in Texas per Texas Monthly magazine), I had to pop his bubble and tell him they cook 7-8 pound USDA Select and sometimes USDA Choice briskets at Snow's. Harry, being the stickler for details that he is, called me to verify the weight and grade (I learned those facts at Camp Brisket 2020) and he proceeded to redo the cook using USDA Select briskets.

Way to go, Harry!

I was wondering why he posted the redo video. I haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet, but I had the same thoughts you had when I saw that first video. That's hilarious that you were the one to point it out to him!

Chris - thanks for posting this up. (y)

Harry rocks! I like how he 'owned' not doing the first round the 'right way' and shot the re-do.

Nuggets of knowledge dropped throughout the video, and love how his dog shows up right when Harry is about to make the first slice.

This vid is now bookmarked!

To me, the one of the secrets to Snows BBQ is that they burn down the logs in a burn barrel, then shovel the hot coals into the pits. Tootsie says she doesn't cook using a thermometer, but rather puts her hand close to the pits and cooks by feel.

To me, the one of the secrets to Snows BBQ is that they burn down the logs in a burn barrel, then shovel the hot coals into the pits. Tootsie says she doesn't cook using a thermometer, but rather puts her hand close to the pits and cooks by feel.

I don't think that's uncommon for stick burners, professionals especially where they'd have a big burn barrel that can feed several pits. This would be a good way to let the initial acrid smoke burn off from the initial light until it gets down to the thin desirable smoke.

I don't know about select, but I think choice briskets overall may come out better.
If want to eat the point that is and not like make burnt ends out of it. With prime briskets the point always ends up overly fatty imo, at the point that the flat is done. Its less so in a choice..... And sometimes the point is almost as big as the flat..... So it's not necessarily an afterthought. A well-rendered point is the best part of the cow. One filled with jello like fat,..... not so much

He mentions starting around 300 then lowering the temp a few times throughout the cook. What were the points in the cook you are supposed to lower the temp?

In South/South Central Texas, I have always heard it referred to as "Cowboy Style," though I hear some also refer to it as "Hill Country Style." That's how I learned to BBQ. Would start out with a fire in a ground pit, then shovel the coals into the cooking chamber. No thermo on the pit, just feeling it out with your hands.

I prefer knowing temps now, 'cos why not?

Last edited:
I think that Tootsie mainly handles the direct heat pits and not so much those big pits with the briskets that are traditional offsets. I could be way off base, but that's the impression I got when I was there. At that time Hershey was still alive and I saw him doing a lot of that, along with Kerry. In all honesty, I didn't find the brisket to be all that great (although it was very good, just not Franklin good.) I might have hit an off day. It was really the stuff that Tootsie cooked on the direct heat pits that was amazing such as the pork steaks, chicken and sausage.

Chefs Table BBQ on Netflix has its first episode about Tootsie. It covers her life story and shows plenty of shots of her and the pits in action. Well worth 42 minutes.

Back