Hanging out at the beach with my new grill

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
On vacation with the family this week in Myrtle Beach staying at one of my favorite places on earth at a beach front campground. I came as a kid and now bring my family down. I got my first brand new Weber grill before and for the trip, a Smoky Joe Premium.
The quinasental meal from my childhood beach camping days was bbq chicken, corn on the cob, boiled potatoes in butter, and those Lipton Chicken Flavored noodles (this is one of the few times a year we eat those packaged noodles). So after putting my new grill together yesterday and going out to eat last night at my son and my favorite bbq joint in the world, tonight was time to get to using my new grill with that classic beach meal.
IMG_20210808_191913834_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210808_193710225_HDR.jpg

Time to start getting her dirty, went with 20 briquettes.
IMG_20210809_162657713_HDR.jpg

Stopped at a local produce stand today and got some corn, shucking it as the coals heated up.
IMG_20210809_163037019_HDR.jpg

I created a two zone heating area, but primarily used the direct side. I do not usually drink soda, but when I come down south we get Cherrwine. What a great life, setting outside grill at the beach house with I Cherrwine in hand and 90's rock mix from Spotify in the background.
IMG_20210809_165300473_HDR.jpg

After I sauced them I let them all go on the indirect side for a little while. Then I throw them back on the direct to finish up.
IMG_20210809_170248341_HDR.jpg

And plated.
IMG_20210809_171114466.jpg

That meal brought back so many great memories as I make some more.
I was a little worried about being able to cook on the Smoky Joe. I read a lot of it won't stay lit, to you can only go at warp temps. Today with 20 coals and full vents open and the lid cracked it cooked near perfect. I will go a few more coals next cook and keep learning. I have a few other simple meals planed for this week. I am looking forward to getting to cook on the little grill some more.

You and John K tripping down your BBQ memory lane this week! I love it! There was rock in the '90s? ;)

Oooh so nice and shiny before that first cook. Then you go and get BBQ sauce all over it. Looked like a great cook. I really like my go-anywhere for travel but the Smokey Joe looks like it cooks more.

Smokey joe has been my go to camp bbq for many years. Unfortunately with the fire bans during the summer now I have to resort to the Weber Q1200. Not a bad trade off. But I do miss using the Smokey Joe and all my Mini-WSM modifications I made for it. Still take it when I can.

That Smokey Joe is a classic for sure. Looking forward to what you come up with next. (y)

Nothing against your meal and the story, those were (or look) fantastic. But when you said beachfront campground, I pictured something else. This doesn't look like any campground my parents ever took us to.

Nice cook. I haven't cooked on my smoky joe in 2 or 3 years. Will have to drag it out from under the E320 and fire it up again.

Thanks so much for taking all of us into your relaxed vacation! I have not spent much time in the Southeast so I had to do a little research on the cheerwine...what a great story. Enjoy!

So here is more on where we are staying. We are at Ocean Lakes Family Campground.
Screenshot_20210810-135248.png

I guess the best way to describe it is a mini city with beach access. It has it all, pool with water slides, store, food spots, corn hole, horse shoes, basketball court, mini golf, golf cart rentals, and more. As a kid we camped, started with a pop up, moved to a 24 footer, then a 36 footer. I never wanted to own or tow a camper so I we started to rent Beach houses in the camp grounds. We started with permit site campers to now what we are renting this summer a double wide modular home. So I don't want to say I am camping, not like Case does!! We come down during Christmas and rent a true beach front house, but this trip we are able 500 yards from the beach dunes. Here's our view.
IMG_20210810_185857484.jpg

Here is our ride for the week along with the beach house into the background.
IMG_20210810_143842762_HDR.jpg

Oh and finally here is our beach shot from this evening.
IMG_20210810_194726609_HDR.jpg

Here was tonight's dinner, another staple! Taco Tuesday!!
IMG_20210810_170941640.jpg

The best part of this meal was the skins from the chicken thighs I saved from prepping yesterday's bbq chicken. It got treated the same as the chicken with the marinate and rub. I throw it over the coals towards the end of the cook and it crisped up amazingly!
IMG_20210810_174055917.jpg

Chicken done.
IMG_20210810_174949585.jpg

Chicken and chicken skin cut up.
IMG_20210810_180458074.jpg

Tacos made with the "chicken crackling"
IMG_20210810_181225408.jpg

I am loving cooking on the Smoky Joe. 25 Briquettes today still allowed for two zones with a little more heat. It has out performed my expectations.

Oooh so nice and shiny before that first cook. Then you go and get BBQ sauce all over it.
I know right, it felt good getting it dirty, but then I went out this morning and worked to clean it up as much as possible.
I really like my go-anywhere for travel but the Smokey Joe looks like it cooks more.
Growing up it was two Weber gas go anywhere that we used while camping. There is a classic picture of me around the age of 13 on a beach chair, grilling on both those grills with my dad just sitting with me.
On my first wedding anniversary my wife got me a knockoff of the Weber go anywhere gas and I use it for years as my only grill! I would love to get to cook on a Weber go anywhere,

Back