Grill station and family bonding

Wow, that's some great work! Are you eventually going to add removable back and side panels to block the wind?

I appreciate that, thank you. I haven’t even thought of that. I’m sure some upgrades will occur. I can’t ever leave things alone lol.

Great story and family project Jesse. You're to be commended. I was curious about the stone too. I need to build something comparable but I just can't seem to get to it. I'm getting tired on taking down and putting up my shade canopy every time the wind comes up.

Nice! I have a couple of ideas rolling around about more “flexible” shade/wind protection for the next set up. I have a basic umbrella over the dbl. kettle right now. It does fine without too much wind but, since it’s in the lee side of the house most of the time. I have the wind at my back most of the time so, usually not a problem. But, unless I’m smoking something, kettle work can be a little bit less finicky. So, unless I can figure out a way for my wife to decide she does not need quite as much flowerbed space, I’m mostly committed to what I’ve got, I can tweak a little but, I’m not building anything. I really don’t need it.
Well, I guess I really just need to make the bank next to me move out and give me their space. Then, I could build the outdoor kitchen of my insanity! I don’t want to have more lawn to maintain.....SWMBO will need more flowers!

Last edited:
Looks great and what a cool project to get the kids involved in.

I’d be tempted to enclose the sides and back of the lower area with more or the corrugated roof you used up top. Leaving the front open. Would help with wind and since you’re on casters your could move slightly if needed to block most wind.

Very nice project, looks great and functional as well. I'm so bored with my self imposed house arrest I've run out of projects and I'm now restoring a vacuum cleaner to occupy my time.

Great job you and the kids did on your "grill island" Jesse! I want/need to put something up over my cook area big time. This Valley sun keeps eating up the covers I keep on mine. I'm not too far from you in Newman.

We built a grill station over the last few weekends. Made a family project to get us over the quarantine funk. Kids (16&11) used power tools and had creative freedom. Had a blast and got a pretty sweet set up out of it!!

Very nice. What method did you use to attach the kettle to the countertop?

Back