Grill Mat Under WSM to Protect Wood Deck?

Howard V

TVWBB Member
My WSM is on my wood deck. I am not a morning person so I do overnight cook when I smoke my pork butts (10pm to 10am). I feel like I am playing with fire (pun intended) every time I do an overnight cook. Sometimes, I am also clumsy with my chimney starter and a few coals get loose when I dump into WSM.

Anyone has a recommended grill mat....brand and size? It will be exposed to outdoors weather so hopefully it can withstand the elements. Thanks.

I used a metal oil drip tray from my local auto parts store to protect my wood deck. I drilled a hole in one corner so that accumulated rainwater would drain off, but in hindsight I probably could just have turned the tray upside down. In any case it provided good protection not only against spilled embers but also grease drips.
oil drip pan.jpg

Last edited:
I used a metal oil drip tray from my local auto parts store to protect my wood deck. I drilled a hole in one corner so that accumulated rainwater would drain off, but in hindsight I probably could just have turned the tray upside down. In any case it provided good protection not only against spilled embers but also grease drips.
View attachment 6788

That's an interesting alternative to grill mat....does it get rusted with rain over time?

One of the best WSM accessories you can get. I've had mine for about 10 years. It's a little funky, but still serviceable and rust-free. I think it was a under $10. -- Jeff

I use a fiberglass welding blanket from Amazon. It's 6 feet by 6 feet in size and I can drape it over the deck and railing. Between cooks it's rolled up and in a storage box.

Similar to Larry, I use a water heater pan with a couple holes punched in it. I try not to have it on the deck when not in use, just so I'm not trapping moisture under it. Moisture is the reason I don't put a mat under the WSM or my Performer. In protecting the deck from stains or embers, I'm quickly rotting it away by trapping all that moisture.

I've got some kind of fire resistant grill mat. My deck is pretty much toast at this point so I'm not as worried about trapping moisture. It wasn't built correctly. There's way too much space between the joists so I may tear it down and pour a concrete patio. I also I live in a pretty dry climate. The trapped moisture isn't as big an issue. The wood under my mat is actually in better shape than what is around it.

View attachment 6788
Make it "DOS"; as I have one too that I bought off Amazon.com around twelve(12) years ago and makes clean-up a snap and should be adequate protection for a wood deck!

Last edited:
I have covered redwood decking overlooking the back yard. I have a couple of kettles out there and occasionally one of the WSM's primarily for rainy conditions but I don't do overnighter's out there for the same reasons you cited. When I do grill/smoke on the deck I use these grilling mats from Home Depot. I've had them for over 3 years now and am completely satisfied. They won't however do much for the errant briquette or two when spilled from the chimney. ☺

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Ori...VDU2GCh2Y-AQmEAQYAyABEgKbsPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like the fireproof blanket, which is cheap. Folds/rolls up when not cooking.

Bigger than the oil pan tray. Which comes in handy when cooking -- more space to place down a hot/messy lid, chimney, barrel or grate.

Some folks also use them as a windblocker and/or insulator for winter cooks. Have not tried that one myself...

Last edited:
When I had my 18" WSM i used (4) 18" conc. pavers. Gave me a nice 3'x3' pad.

Now my 14.5 WSM lives on one of the pavers that I turned into a stand.

49984683747_14b572390f_c.jpg

I read your post about disposing of ash and thought you are on a wooden deck. Then I read this post which confirmed it. In your situation, I would not use the WSM on the deck. As you mentioned in your ash post, the deck is on your second level which is cause for concern. Do you even have a water hose outlet up there? I know it’s rare and frankly I did smoke on my deck for awhile, but it’s really not a good idea. Also, if you’re in a condo complex, it may not even be allowed. Is there any reason you can’t position the WSM on concrete, just outside of your garage?

BTW, the main risk (IMHO), is when you use the chimney. But the whole operation is risky. Personally, I wouldn’t use anything other than a gas grill on a wooden deck.

If you must, then I would get the oil drip pan. That will offer the most protection. And, light the chimney on the pan so that you’re not transferring it too far before you pour it in. But again, between lighting the chimney and dealing with the ash, which could contain hot coals, please consider other options. Any inconvenience caused by a different location will pale in comparison to the alternative of dealing with any level of accidental fire.

I concur with Jerry on not using the smoker on the wood deck if you have a choice. I stopped doing it after I watched the sparks fly at night during lighting. That was concerning, but I also was concerned about animals maybe nudging the grill over during an overnight cook when I am sleeping. The yard is just off the porch in my case so it was not too big a deal to move it.

Back