Grill brushes

Seems odd to be so dismissive of this issue when it seems like there are plenty of products that get you to the same place while eliminating this one risk (of errant metal bristles being ingested). Kinda like if they had two versions of Coke, that cost the same and taste the same but one has a chemical that has a 0.5% chance of making you really sick or killing you while the other doesn't have that at all, and yet people say Well I am going to keep drinking the old version just because nobody is gonna tell me what to do....

A cheap dandelion weeder does a good job of cleaning off even burned-on gunk. Add a small putty knife to your arsenal and you can live without a wire brush ( at least until it's time to remove that flaky black stuff from the inside of the lid).

Nah, Ross, they are a great source or iron in our diets.

But, really, yes, several people are worried about ingesting the steel bristles that are subject to fall out of the brushes when using them.

SS Rod grates with a Chargon before cooks. If I want them very clean, an angle grinder and wire wheel does the job in 5 minutes.

So are folks having issue with the 3 sided weber brushes where the bristles are twisted into the handle or the ones where they are just glued into a wooden handle?
Three Sided Brush
Bamboo Brush
I use Weber's three sided brush and feel like it does a good job. I brush my grates during the cook if they start to get gunked up, and at the end of the cook while everything's still hot. I've read a number of articles that talk about these bristles being eaten, or found in food, but they never describe the type of brush they come from. I'm guessing they're more likely to come from the style of brush that's a lot like a toothbrush, in that it is comprised of groupings of bristles shoved inside little holes and somehow held in place by friction, or melting the plastic around it. (I hope there's more than friction used for the wooden designs) The Weber three sided brush (among others) twists longer lengths of the scrubby bristles around and in between thicker wires that solidly (to me) hold everything in place. I feel pretty confident in that design/style.

However, metal fatigue is a consideration if an individual bristle gets folded back and forth in the same spot with a scrubbing motion. I'll periodically inspect and flex the bristles on my brush and so far, haven't found any to be suspect. Annual replacement is probably a prudent idea.

That being said, does anyone have much experience with any of the steam scrubby pad-type ones?

I use Weber's three sided brush and feel like it does a good job. I brush my grates during the cook if they start to get gunked up, and at the end of the cook while everything's still hot. I've read a number of articles that talk about these bristles being eaten, or found in food, but they never describe the type of brush they come from. I'm guessing they're more likely to come from the style of brush that's a lot like a toothbrush, in that it is comprised of groupings of bristles shoved inside little holes and somehow held in place by friction, or melting the plastic around it. (I hope there's more than friction used for the wooden designs) The Weber three sided brush (among others) twists longer lengths of the scrubby bristles around and in between thicker wires that solidly (to me) hold everything in place. I feel pretty confident in that design/style.

However, metal fatigue is a consideration if an individual bristle gets folded back and forth in the same spot with a scrubbing motion. I'll periodically inspect and flex the bristles on my brush and so far, haven't found any to be suspect. Annual replacement is probably a prudent idea.

That being said, does anyone have much experience with any of the steam scrubby pad-type ones?
I've had several of those and still have one. Nice thing about being all metal is when it gets gunked up I put it over the chimney.
That super heats the grease and when it starts bubbling I tap it on the rim over the kettle and repeat till it's clean.

I have one of these wooden handled "toothbrush" ones and pretty much every time I do a brush when hot before slapping down the meat, there are at least one or two metal bristles. Usually they get pushed to the edges and sit in the little crack where the grates butt up to the firebox. I need to get something else and throw my current one away

Back