Grill brushes

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
This topic comes up every so often on this forum, but I haven't seen it for a while now. Winter may have something to do with that. But, anyway, here we go. Some more debate on metal bristled grill brushes.

I never had a problem until a couple years ago when I bought a Cuisinart grill brush. Almost immediately, I saw metal bristles on the grate. That went right to the trash. Been using nylon. Not worth a darn, but safer.

I use Weber 12 inch wire brush. Once I’ve ‘scrubbed” the grates, I very lightly sweep the grates with the brush. Never had an issue. But I do replace them often.

I just stay away from the brushes altogether. But at least the welding brush wires are not nearly as stealthy as the BBQ grate brushes.

I use Weber 12 inch wire brush. Once I’ve ‘scrubbed” the grates, I very lightly sweep the grates with the brush. Never had an issue. But I do replace them often.
Weber brush was the firs one that gave me trouble. I been preachin this on here. Libman! The way they bond the brush into the head is not like any other and they don't come loose. Well, I should qualify. Assuming you replace them a couple times per season (or at least once) as I do. I keep spares on hand. These are the best things going. They clean like crazy and nothing left behind

Weber brush was the firs one that gave me trouble. I been preachin this on here. Libman! The way they bond the brush into the head is not like any other and they don't come loose. Well, I should qualify. Assuming you replace them a couple times per season (or at least once) as I do. I keep spares on hand. These are the best things going. They clean like crazy and nothing left behind
Looks like I need to try one.

One other thing. There is much less potential to break them off on round SS bar grates than on cast iron. And if you use expanded metal grates DO NOT UNDER ANY circumstance use a brush not even a Libman brush

One other thing. There is much less potential to break them off on round SS bar grates than on cast iron. And if you use expanded metal grates DO NOT UNDER ANY circumstance use a brush not even a Libman brush
Good to know. Both my SE-335 and E6 have SS bar grates.

For stainless bars my first choice is the Chargon. Zero worries with that, and it isn't nearly as hard to use as you might think. Works like it was made for thick bars like Dave Santana's stainless grates.

For cast iron, I try first to get by with soft pads. If things get past that, I pull out my Libman - carefully. I agree with Larry that they are a cut above.

For GrillGrate grates I use a wooden flat scraper. They will conform perfectly to the odd shape of GrillGrate grates. I clean the inside of the valleys with both one of the funky spatulas they give you and with a stainless wire tool designed for that job.

For the longest time I used a 1/4" open end wrench on my WSM and OTG grates.
s-l300.jpg

A crowfoot with a handle was my next choice.
TMCO8.jpg

This topic comes up every so often on this forum, but I haven't seen it for a while now. Winter may have something to do with that. But, anyway, here we go. Some more debate on metal bristled grill brushes.

“Raising awareness on TikTok”.

Yeah, I’ll pass on that medical professional and their opinion…

The Broil King Stainless Steel Coil Spring Brush comes with 3 replacement heads, works great.

Attachments

• D726B053-CC6A-4DB4-912C-CFB66E81CBF1.jpeg
    D726B053-CC6A-4DB4-912C-CFB66E81CBF1.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 12
I have been using the long handle Weber brush forever and have never seen one lose a bristle. Have I just been lucky? I don't know but I do change them out every couple years. Maybe that's the key, don't let them get old.

Even if you choose to use them, every couple years is way too long in my opinion. I don't see them when cooking. I find them in the gunk at the bottom of the cook box usually. Just takes one.

I have been using the long handle Weber brush forever and have never seen one lose a bristle. Have I just been lucky? I don't know but I do change them out every couple years. Maybe that's the key, don't let them get old.
Yep. I think so. The time the ONLY time it ever happened to me was with a Weber brush. Long handled wood one. Wood is not a good material to use. It doesn't bond the bristles. I also only buy the brass ones. I just seem to have best luck with the Libman brass

Back