Grill brushes

TonyUK turned me on to the Billy bar and it’s pretty darned cool! Sorry, I don’t have a link, (I’m just lazy) but, this thing will last the rest of my life! If I get the platypus, I’d have to get a second one for that and a third for the gasser! I feel an order coming together…

I have two each of these. The orange nonmetallic ones can only be used on cold grates but that works just fine. The continuous coil ones work fine too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230308-044501_Amazon.jpg
    Screenshot_20230308-044501_Amazon.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230308-044358_Amazon.jpg
    Screenshot_20230308-044358_Amazon.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 2
The story is true. I have even related how it has happened to me. And having had to trash can an entire dinner because of a bad brush (a Weber no less). Re TikTok, it's another discussion. Not gonna get into. Suffice to say I will not touch it. And that is where I will leave it.

The story is true. I have even related how it has happened to me. And having had to trash can an entire dinner because of a bad brush (a Weber no less). Re TikTok, it's another discussion. Not gonna get into. Suffice to say I will not touch it. And that is where I will leave it.

Correct. The point of the thread is to be safe re: grill bristles. This is hugely helpful to me as I literally see a stray bristle or two every time I brush the grill and this warning has me now looking to replace it. The medium by which the story came to us doesn't matter and thus I find it strange that someone would suggest the story isn't valid just because of the platform in which it was delivered

I thought all this was hogwash and a Weber brush was the first one where the bristles just started coming out on me. As far as alternatives, I've tried em all. Nothing works as well as those wire brushes. I've tried the Nylon, the billy bar, the wooden paddle, the char gon. The one that works best for me is the Tool Wizard which I can't even find on Amazon anymore. It just a handle holds replaceable stainless steel scrub pads. It doesn't get inbetween that well but it gets the surface clean. The Tool Wizard was a plastic copy of the Grill Wizard.

It says patented all over this webpage so maybe he sued the "tool wizard" people. Who knows. Getting one from this guy doesn't look easy. His old webpage was a mess. This one doesn't look much better. There's no indication of price, just a sign up for a list.

Just because a doctor is using a social media app that you don't use doesn't mean the story or the concern isn't true....
Some people are attracted to a sensational social media story, and can then offer their opinion on social media.

That’s what I did.

It’s ok to be skeptical, right?

Maybe it’s more fun to yell “the sky is falling”, but it’s also ok to look up, right?

i have been using one of these I actually have like 4 of them, it is something we had around the house so no need for a special buy. They are cheap and you can modify the fork end to fit your grates tighter for a cleaner fit.
but even after just using one of these I always wipe my grates down with a oiled rag, towel or paper towel to pick up the crusty pieces.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792PN86Y/?tag=tvwb-20

I have been using the long handle Weber brush forever and have never seen one lose a bristle. Have I just been lucky? I don't know but I do change them out every couple years. Maybe that's the key, don't let them get old.
As with most things, largely blown out of proportion.

If you have 10 guys chime in here saying it’s happened to them, it seems like the world is falling apart. It’s a rampant issue. The sample size is tiny.

Do I worry about it? Nope. I’ve used the same style brushes (Weber, wood and not) since my dad bought the redhead in ‘97. I’ve had one bristle fall off once, that’s it. I keep buying them and will continue.

Might be a small sample but it only takes one little piece of wire to do serious harm or at best simply ruin a meal. As with my issue. The meal went in the trash. I was not taking chances. And if you know something has even a minute chance of causing harm to people you care about why would anyone ignore that? Especially when there are better products on the market

Might be a small sample but it only takes one little piece of wire to do serious harm or at best simply ruin a meal. As with my issue. The meal went in the trash. I was not taking chances. And if you know something has even a minute chance of causing harm to people you care about why would anyone ignore that? Especially when there are better products on the market

Yep. It's what we call a "low probability, high impact event". With something like this, you normally have to weigh the costs of mitigation against the likelihood of occurrence. But in this case the mitigation is so easy, and so cheap, it just doesn't make sense not to do it.

Do you drive?

Do you drive?
Of course and NOT a valid question the "arguments?" being made. Do you get out of bed? See the point? All of life is a "risk". All you can do is hope to put those risks in the smallest category possible.

Sure you can be vigilant and check the grates before putting food on, but after about I've plowed through 5 or 6 Shiner Bocks, I'm probably not doing a great job. I kind of remember Larry being the skeptic camp and I was as well. Don't be surprised if you wind up changing your mind, Tim. If I hadn't encountered that Weber brush I might never have, but that POS started shedding like a German Shepherd. The odds of ingesting one are extremely slim, no doubt, but it's just nothing I want to mess with. They still sell them, so that tells you something. The companies selling them don't consider it that big a risk either. I could give 3 ****s about hurting myself, but I couldn't forgive myself for hurting someone else.

Of course and NOT a valid question the "arguments?" being made. Do you get out of bed? See the point? All of life is a "risk". All you can do is hope to put those risks in the smallest category possible.
Bingo! That’s a wrap boys!

It is ABSOLUTELY a valid point. You have made my point for me, thank you. All of life is a risk, getting my feelers wadded up for a small but potential chance of a bristle coming off is not on my radar. There are far more concerning “risks” to worry about. Which I don’t.

Yep, just like jumping out of airplanes and rock climbing, some people are willing to take on the risks associated. It is a personal choice. Thank God we still have that to a large degree.
It is good to list your choice and reasonings behind it, but everyone has to make their own choice and live with it. The only problem I have is when that choice negatively affects affects others.

Yep. It's what we call a "low probability, high impact event". With something like this, you normally have to weigh the costs of mitigation against the likelihood of occurrence. But in this case the mitigation is so easy, and so cheap, it just doesn't make sense not to do it.
Your post has resonated with me and I wanted to let you know that what you have written makes a lot of sense.

Back