Grill brushes

I have one of these wooden handled "toothbrush" ones and pretty much every time I do a brush when hot before slapping down the meat, there are at least one or two metal bristles. Usually they get pushed to the edges and sit in the little crack where the grates butt up to the firebox. I need to get something else and throw my current one away
Is it a Weber branded brush, or something else? I've been using a Weber one for over twenty years and have never seen a bristle come out of it before. I usually replace it every other season so it never gets "old", and that may have something to do with my own experience. I'm certainly not going to tell anyone else what to do, but I'll stick with that Weber brush.

The Weber brushes were one of the ones that I had the issue with. Not picking on it because it's "Weber" but because of the mafg process and material. It's made of wood. The bristle packs are only pressed in with perhaps a bit of glue. I've seen whole bunches just come out of them. The Libman brushes have the bristle packs "bonded" directly into the grill head. You cannot pull them or loosen them to save your life. It's why I trust them. Yeah, you can wear them down or work the snot out of them abusively and perhaps "break" one off. But, they will not come out of the head stock

I’ve used grill brushes for years and never noticed any problems. I didn’t bear down real hard on the bristles like I have seen others do, so maybe that helps.
Anyway, now I have the good stainless grates and I modified an old spatula. No need for a brush anymore. Just a high heat preheat and a run over the grates with my “scraper” and I’m good to go.

GerryIMG_1616.jpegIMG_1617.jpeg

Yah, that is a great idea. I would love to see it in action on some gunked up grates. Gerry?

Thanks guys,
LMichaels is right, but you have to take into consideration that there is a variation in pitch in the grates. Those are 3/8" rods, so I started drilling holes in the spatula one or two size drill bits larger. I had to eventually go up quite a few sizes before the spatula fit easily over the rods.
The nice thing about my scraper is that you can tilt it up on one side so as to only use one of the notches. I can get the sides and almost to the bottom of the rods that way
Scraper.jpg
Gerry

I usually buy mine at Menards. Where you "save big money"
Yeah, and where you hear that on the "music" they play again and again and again...

There is a young lady from church who works at a Menards in Terre Haute. I asked her how she could stand listening to that all day. She shrugged as said that you just get used to it and don't even notice after a while!

Yeah, and where you hear that on the "music" they play again and again and again...

There is a young lady from church who works at a Menards in Terre Haute. I asked her how she could stand listening to that all day. She shrugged as said that you just get used to it and don't even notice after a while!
It's like working in an airport after thanksgiving. And the constant droning torture of Christmas music.

Basically that is what it is, just back ground noise. Lots of noise pollution these days. My house is litterally 100 yards from train a major rail line. I get frieght and passenger trains going by several times a day. I don't even notice them unless they hamper me hearing something important like being outside on the phone.

Here is one at Menards. I think they also make a brass bristled one as well.

Basically that is what it is, just back ground noise. Lots of noise pollution these days. My house is litterally 100 yards from train a major rail line. I get frieght and passenger trains going by several times a day. I don't even notice them unless they hamper me hearing something important like being outside on the phone.
I don't know, Bruce. Like you, I got used to the Florida East Coast Railroad rumbling by our first little townhome. Even enjoyed seeing my young son run to the window to watch it go by - he always heard it!

But if you have ever been to Menards, they elevate "background noise" to a whole new level - at least to me. I come out of there with "Save big money, save big money - at Mendards" rattling in my overstuffed brain! I thought the Home Depot beeping forklifts were annoying, but Menards takes the cake 😩!

They do have a great selection of hardwoods and, as noted above, carry lots of Libmann brushes and other Libmann products, though.

Jon, I go to Menards a lot. I was there this morning picking up some bolts and nuts for repairing my snow blower. It is about 7-8 miles further than Home Depot, but I feel a lot more comfortable in Menards when shopping for stuff. I honestly have never noticed the audio being played whatever it might be. I am pretty good at ignoring (tuning out) things that I don't care to listen to.....Ask my family. My hearing loss might be part of it as well.
I have been to other Menards besides my local one and cannot recall any background music/advertising in them either. :unsure:

Yeah, I hardly notice anything in the background at Menards. It's my "go to" place for nearly everything. Except softener salt. I use a type only can find at Home Depot. So it's about the only thing I go there for

Back