Gifts for Someone New to the 'Que?

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
A friend of mine just bought a 22". Any suggestions for a good gift? Is there a good book on BBQ? I thought about a Maverick ET-733 or maybe a good set of gloves? Or those bear claws for pulling pork?

Any suggestions?

ETA: Oh -- If I click the "Amazon" link above and then place an order, does the site get a commission?

Stone;
The best gift, ever, would be the Maverick. That will do more to shorten his learning curve than anything else you could do (with the exception of being certain he is aware of this forum).

Clicking on the Amazon link above WILL get the site a small commission.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I'd be worried that if I gave him a Maverick he'd stab me in the heart with a broken probe.

If he's a really good friend, I would get a Thermapen. Since I believe you are thinking something less than the cost of a Thermapen, what about that smaller Weber chimney? If you go with gloves, maybe you can get a nice leather pair and a nice waterproof pair. Personally, I'd pass on the book only because so much good information is on the web - especially this site.

I'd vote for the Mav ET-732. I have the ET-731 and the 732, not sure the extra bells and whistles on the new 733 are worth the extra $'s. That absolutely transforms the experience fo running the WSM. Another awesome upgrade would be the Cajun Bandit door.

What's the deal with the cajun bandit door? I've seen some mention of it.
what's the benefit?

A fair percentage of OEM doors do not fit properly, let in a lot of unwanted air, and make temperature control more difficult, especially at lower temps. He'll appreciate a Maverick et-732 or 733 immediately. He may not have the background with a poorly fitted OEM door to truly appreciate a Cajun Bandit door. My dad recently started showing an interest in grilling. I got him a thermapen, a weber chimney, and GrillGrates to help get him started. If he had gotten a smoker, I would've gotten him a Maverick.

What's the deal with the cajun bandit door? I've seen some mention of it.
what's the benefit?

Tighter. Stronger. Stainless steel. I've got them on both of my cookers, and really like 'em. I agree with Mark, though. I don't think it's the best gift.

I decided to go with the Maverick ET-733, a "It's Never Too Cold To BBQ" mug and a t-shirt.

I think Jerry's right that there's no need for a BBQ book.

Good move, Stone. McGee has it right: The Maverick is the best tool to shorten the learning curve for a newbie. Good to have another member of the Brotherhood of the Beef.

I now have the ET-732 and it's helped me more accurately watch my cooking temps and food temps which relates to better cooks. I think that or the ET-733 would be a great helpful gift.

I think Jerry's right that there's no need for a BBQ book.

Having said that, what about --->making<--- something? Like take some time out of your day, copy and paste a bunch of either your favourite recipes (rubs, sauces, etc) from your collection or go to the links/favourites you've saved in your browser and print them them out and give him a personalized BBQ book.

Something from the heart always makes a welcome gift.

I don't like the guy that much. :cool:
OK then some sauces and/or rubs. Store-bought or....
You could make them up yourself if you like doing that. Then present the finished product(s) and recipe(s).

An inexpensive and unique gift if you do the homemade.

Back