Fridge getting old.......REALLY old

Service guy said he couldn't repair it, but that KA might offer to cover some portion of what was needed even though outside warranty. Either way, he said it would likely be $1K or more to fix. Thinking about it, but an LG that makes big round craft ice sounds pretty good right now.

we love ours. ice 4 ways now. craft, cubed, rushed and small tiles. this 29 we just bought is quite impressive (to us) and it's cavernous inside.

Which one did you get? How long have you had it? We're looking at a 29.5. I think it just does craft, cubed and crushed. I thought our 26 KA was big, but they were side by side when we looked today and the LG made the KA look like a small cooler.

Which one did you get? How long have you had it? We're looking at a 29.5. I think it just does craft, cubed and crushed. I thought our 26 KA was big, but they were side by side when we looked today and the LG made the KA look like a small cooler.
bought it from Costco.com

excellent buying and delivery experience.

I have replaced several of the craft ice makers, I'm not a fan of them. After 300+ compressors change out for LG I am not a fan. not to mention freon leaks out the yang. buy the extended warranty no matter what brand you buy

For me it was what appliance brand rates well for reliability but then again as mentioned by someone above every brand has at least 1 model that doesn't meet expectations. Personally my biggest fridge pet peeve is a fridge that doesn't fit the space properly. Mainly but not limited to the issue of a non counter depth fridge sticking out into the room. Also not all counter depth fridges are created equal. Some can easily stick out at least a few inches more than another. Second is a noisy fridge. Both my homes have a open floor plan so appliance noise is not ok. Ice maker is important to me but I'm not too picky about it. Appearance wise I like simple clean lines. Doesn't need to have a TV built in or anything like that. I drink a lot of filtered ice water so that is also important to me but I prefer the fridge water dispenser to be inside the fridge, not on the outside which both my fridges have inside. Of the two new ones I have now so far the LG is ok but falls short in every category that's important to me in comparison to my Whirlpool. As of now I'm happiest with my Whirlpool. These are just my opinions on the things that are important to me and maybe your list of importance is totally different. Just my thoughts and opinions nothing more.

As far as cooling and freezing neither have any issues.

I buy almost all my appliances at Lowe's. Because they're the only place I have found that will price match internet pricing which has given me significant savings on appliances. One of my favorite price match places is discount bandits. They get terrible reviews but their prices are dirt cheap making them perfect for a price match at Lowe's. Sometimes Costco has sales that are hard to beat though.

The older I get the more I appreciate old things that were built to last like old solid wood furniture, old appliances that outlive new ones many times over and of course old Webers.....
Screenshot_20240624_200733_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
bought it from Costco.com

excellent buying and delivery experience.

Got a similar deal with the free 6 CF fridge thrown in. Best Buy has similar pricing, but gets there with gift cards and no 2nd fridge thrown in.

There are so many benefits from buying at Costco.com not just pricing. Another great company is Abt in Glenview IL. And honestly for my other "go-to" it was always Best Buy.
Now I look more for convenience and service before/after a sale.
I am the same way with tires. I don't even shop around anymore. I go to Discount Tire, and get tires. They've never let me down. Maybe if I were to shop around I might save a couple bucks, but overall I get great service, great pricing, and great after sale support from them.
I'm at a point in my life I just don't care to chase my tail around looking for "the deal"

There are so many benefits from buying at Costco.com not just pricing. Another great company is Abt in Glenview IL. And honestly for my other "go-to" it was always Best Buy.
Now I look more for convenience and service before/after a sale.
I am the same way with tires. I don't even shop around anymore. I go to Discount Tire, and get tires. They've never let me down. Maybe if I were to shop around I might save a couple bucks, but overall I get great service, great pricing, and great after sale support from them.
I'm at a point in my life I just don't care to chase my tail around looking for "the deal"
We bought a gas range from AJ Madison awhile back before we moved to PA. It was a Frigidaire double oven. What a nightmare. Delivered the first one with the side smashed in. Took 3 weeks to deliver the replacement. They were decent about applying a discount for the inconvenience and also giving an aftermarket warranty which we later needed when the oven glass exploded. While their selectio and pricing looks attractive, Costco and even Lowes have been far better overall.
There's a local outfit in the Philly area called Gerhards. They're great for selection and just OK on pricing.

If anything, this thread makes one thing pretty obvious:

A bunch of y'all need to turn in your Man Cards. Want ice? Fill some ice trays (those vintage aluminum trays with the levered cube release are awesome) from the kitchen faucet and put 'em in the freezer. Want cold water? Fill a glass with water from the kitchen faucet and add a couple of cubes made with that same water. If it makes you feel special, say that you've married the ice with the water.

I'd write more but there are some kids on my lawn. And I have to go yell at them.

;)

Last edited:
So, been living with the new one. Mostly quite positive things to say. Overall love it. Lots of conveniences. Couple of things maybe not as much, but overall trivial in the end. 1, being the door shelves. Nice to have them but scratching my head wondering if they just put a bunch in there, and did not think too much about just what we put on those shelves and why. Each one only has one position it can be in. Not as well thought out as I would like in a fridge like this.
2. The sliding drawers on the ice maker. Not sure why 2 are needed, or even any at all.
Otherwise it operates in silence, and is doing it's job very nicely. Only sounds heard occasionally are the solenoids clicking for filling the water pitcher or filling the ice maker and the trays internally dropping that ice. Otherwise you'd never know it's there

So, been living with the new one. Mostly quite positive things to say. Overall love it. Lots of conveniences. Couple of things maybe not as much, but overall trivial in the end. 1, being the door shelves. Nice to have them but scratching my head wondering if they just put a bunch in there, and did not think too much about just what we put on those shelves and why. Each one only has one position it can be in. Not as well thought out as I would like in a fridge like this.
2. The sliding drawers on the ice maker. Not sure why 2 are needed, or even any at all.
Otherwise it operates in silence, and is doing it's job very nicely. Only sounds heard occasionally are the solenoids clicking for filling the water pitcher or filling the ice maker and the trays internally dropping that ice. Otherwise you'd never know it's there
Icemaker noise is definitely a thing. The newer(2021) Whirlpool side we have sounds like someone's using a crowbar on the front door and you can definitely hear the cubes drop and water fill for the next batch.

Have a WP side by side that was here when we moved, been great so far and good ice. Repair guy for old stove said those models hold up better than the bottom freezers, and ice maker inside more reliable than in the door. I don't keep up with ratings other than recalling problems with Samsung and LG during covid. Have a small chest freezer for extras, not a fan of bottom freezers which seem small.Not sure what I'd get but hope this one keeps going.

Our Kenmore has been in service since 2007. I did buy a $35 thermostat a couple years ago but it is still functioning well. In general, a fridge is not something that excites me but I am an ice fanatic, so because of that I will eagerly pursue our next purchase. I think this thread will ease that process for me.

My biggest fear? I'll choose one based on its ice making capability and the Wife will want a different one for other, more practical reasons. But what could be more practical than choosing a fridge for its ice? :p

My new GE garage refrigerator is a basic French door, one thing I noticed is food smell transfers from the refrigerator to the freezer. Not a big deal for the garage refrigerator but it never happened on my old Samsung or current Bosch in the house.

Only LG appliance we ever had was a stove. Got a great deal when I worked at Sears. It was okay but nothing spectacular.
We did have one shocker though, the knobs started to wobble so we called Sears service, and a tech came out. Told use that the plastic that holds the knob on the shaft cracked. three out of the five were cracked. So, he decided to order five and replace them all.
He called the parts dept. to order them and the look on his face was priceless when he got the price.... $100.00 not just for five but for one. $500 for five knobs! He had them shipped to me. Last LG we ever bought.
Thankfully it was covered under warranty

The older I get the more I appreciate more of the older things that were actually built to last and stand the test of time. I try to incorporate older well built items into my life whenever I can or have a choice. Sometimes it's not practical or feasible but it's definitely something I think about more now.

Back