Fist time suasage making - Polska Kielbasa!

Mark Barton

TVWBB Super Fan
I recently stumbled upon a recipe for Kielbasa, so I though, "What the heck! It's a great excuse to try out the grinding attachment that came with my KitchenAid mixer."

It was also a great excuse to buy the Weber Smoking Rack!

The grinder attachment did fine, but was a bit slow. I also experienced a little of the "gray ooze" that some people talk about with the KitchenAid. I think I will get a dedicated grinder if I make more sausage in the future.

Stuffing the mixture in natural casings:
20150912_142328_zpsh2lpqvgg.jpg

Hanging out to dry:
20150912_152821_zpsgemm7wxu.jpg

Smoked with hickory on the WSM at 200 degrees. Took a couple hours for the sausage temp to get up to 150.
20150912_194453_zpsmdhvprfh.jpg

Into the ice bath so the casing would not shrivel:
20150912_195339_zpsb3yz0hrz.jpg

Final hanging to dry out some more:
20150912_200259_zpsqjk03ja3.jpg

Sorry, forgot to take photos of the plate! But this is some good kielbasa. Way better than the commercial stuff you find at the grocery store.

That looks great, I've got the KA and the attachment. Were do you get the casings for the sausage? Got to give this a try.

That Kielbasa looks outstanding Mark. Very nice job. I've got my next batch on the radar soon. Either Kielbasa or Brats.

Were do you get the casings for the sausage? Got to give this a try.

I got the casings at The Meat Shop, a butcher in Phoenix. Most butcher shops should carry them. A whole bunch came in a small package for only $10.

These were a good value, but were very irregular. Some of them were only 5 or 6 inches. So for my next batch, I just ordered some Eastman Outdoors brand through Amazon.

great lookin sausage. The KA is not bad for grinding but a dedicated stuffer is nice to have.

Last edited:
Mark, hmmm, these look familiar! :) You links look great! I'm a fan of the expandable rack after using my for the first time this week.....going to hang a chicken (or two) from it tomorrow!

Rich

That looks great, I've got the KA and the attachment. Were do you get the casings for the sausage? Got to give this a try.
If you have a Whole Foods near you, I've bought them from the butchers in the back. It's a normal thing that people buy there.

Back