First Smoked Pork Butt... Whatcha think??

ADMcCarver

Hey Guys,
I decided that it was time to get in on some of this pork butt action so here is my first attempt at smoking one on the good ole WSM 22 aka Nadie! I smoked at a temp of about 265 for the duration of the cook. Butt was placed on at 7:45am EST and removed at 1:30pm.

Injected_zpsucizte6l.jpeg
[/URL]

This was her after the injection.

Rubbed%20Down_zpsgtwen8l6.jpeg
[/URL]

This was her after the rub.

Spritzed_zpsaxvbm0zf.jpeg
[/URL]

This was her on the smoker getting that good ole fashioned spritz.

Clean%20Bone_zpsdygmvrth.jpeg
[/URL]

So this is the clean bone that they speak of.

Pulled_zps0vkc9loy.jpeg
[/URL]

And finally pulled...

Can't wait to make me a spicy honey mustard sauce and slap it on a bun...

Howdy neighbor! The butt looks great! Only problem I see is that I hope you like hot dogs; because from now on, every time someone wants to eat at one of the million BBQ restaurants nearby, you know the stuff they mass produce is nowhere near as good as what you just made!! So.....like me, you just go with them and order a hotdog...
That meteor looks absolutely fabulous! The bark is great, and the clean bone says it all!
Again, Great Job,
Tim

Howdy neighbor! The butt looks great! Only problem I see is that I hope you like hot dogs; because from now on, every time someone wants to eat at one of the million BBQ restaurants nearby, you know the stuff they mass produce is nowhere near as good as what you just made!! So.....like me, you just go with them and order a hotdog...
That meteor looks absolutely fabulous! The bark is great, and the clean bone says it all!
Again, Great Job,
Tim

Hey Tim,
Thanks for the compliment and yep, you're 100% correct. I thought about how I've been to several of the BBQ restaurants here in the area (won't name them out of respect) and now they all seem to be missing something. Now I don't want to go to any of them anymore. Even one of the teenagers (I have 4 teenage girls) said, "daddy I don't want to go to that place up the street anymore". I honestly feel cheated. But anyway, I did learn a lot with this cook. Mostly about my WSM but great learning lesson. Can't wait to knock this brisket out next.

That looks great, Nice cook, you just can't beat home grown BBQ. As I type this I have a pork butt humming away on my 18.5 WSM. Been a long winter and I needed a fix.

That looks great, Nice cook, you just can't beat home grown BBQ. As I type this I have a pork butt humming away on my 18.5 WSM. Been a long winter and I needed a fix.

Hey Rich,
You're right about that, I've always enjoyed a good home cooked meal over any other kind. I have a Dutch Oven that's been pretty upset with my smoker but hey, I just can't beat the feeling that I get from firing her up.

That's a fine batch of PP. Love the way it smells when cooking.

I have a butt waiting in the wings, looking forward to that. Long winter is right - we are still at 6 degrees F and the snow keeps coming down.

Back