First attempt at Bacon... Success!

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
After seeing Rich G's Canadian Bacon post a few weeks ago
I decided to try to cure and smoke my first piece of meat. With Rich's post and his guidance to Bob's Bacon Made Easy Post
I got a 2 and a half pound piece of pork belly. I order Morton's Tender Quick and on Sunday June 14, 2020 I added the MTQ as directed by Bob then I added some light brown sugar and some course black pepper. My goal was to smoke it on Father's day, but after flipping it once daily, last Saturday I just did not trust that it had firmed up enough yet and decided to let it go a few more days. I am glad I did because it felt very different by Tuesday night. I knew Wednesday was going to be a crazy day so I decided to smoke it on yesterday, Thursday, June 25, 2020. Washed it off on Wednesday night, let it open in the frig over night. Then using a mini minion method (3 Weber Briquettes), and pecan and local sugar maple wood I put the meat on when the WSM was at 180. I was able to keep the temps below 200 until I went into a work video conference that went longer then it was supposed to and when I got out of it the temps were at 245. I got the temps back down to 210 and by that time the Bacon was at 150 and I pulled it. I really thought it would take longer to get it up to temp, but it was only the smoker for 2 maybe 3 hours. I wrapped it then put it in an ice bath and then left it in there a few hours as I got bogged down with work. At 3 pm I took it out of the ice and it looked perfect. I started to cut it and realized to get a better slice I needed to cut it in half and make half slices. The smell of the pecan and sugar maple smoke smelled so good!! Fried up a little skillet to try. Yeah this is the best thing I have made on the WSM yet! The mix of the smoke and the brown sugar is amazing, the pepper is mild, but there, not to salty at all. I ended up frying up 3 small skillet yesterday for the family. Today I cooked up about half that was left and still have have another batch now in the freezer. I will be doing this again. I am going to the Butcher tomorrow so looking for 5 to 6 lbs to cut in half to fit a piece on both the top and bottom racks of the WSM 14.

So here is the day the MTQ, brown sugar, and pepper was added.
20200614_205606.jpg
Here it is as it hit the WSM. 20200625_101056.jpg
Here it is after taken out of the ice bath.
20200625_150122.jpg
Half of it sliced. 20200625_152232.jpg
Here is it all sliced up. 20200625_154053.jpg
Here is a piece fried up. 20200625_153340.jpg
Thanks guys, this place is awesome, I continue to do things I would never have trusted myself to do before finding you all!

Attachments

• 20200625_153340.jpg
    20200625_153340.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1

Back