First Annual TVWBB Upper Midwest Meet is a GO

Bruce or Jon, I would like to come to this event, but none of the links are working for me.

Thanks, Bob Chain O Lakes is a beautiful place!

Bob:
We will be looking forward to seeing you there. THose links work fine on my computer. Maybe you have a pop up blocker or something preventing it from working. If you go up in this thread to one of Jon Tofte's posts and click on his name, it should create a popup with a link to start a conversation with him. DO so and he will provide you with the information for getting signed up. If you have any trouble, let me know.
Bruce

I have been meaning to post this but keep forgetting: We are hoping to have some Weber grill/grill parts swapping and selling going on at the meet in June. I personally have several lids that I would consider parting with. They are mostly Genesis 1000-5000/Silver B-C Lids but I have one or two E3xx lids as well. I have several different colors. If you are going to be attending the Midwest Grill Meet and are interested in a specific colored lid, let me know and maybe we can work out a deal and not have to enrich USPS with shipping fees. I have quite a few other parts as well. I could supply a deep box Genesis 1000 cook box or two as well. So, let's take the opportunity to get a hold of some of the grill parts we really want. If any wants, I can post some photos.

Some of the high demand parts that I won't be able to let go are control panels and the grease pans for these grills.

John, I have reservations at the campground and plan to camp the night before and night after. I have site: H087 reserved.

Check In06/18/2021 03:00 PM
Check Out06/20/2021 03:00 PM
The campground is not really all that close to the site of the meet.
The weather like any place can be quite variant, but mid to late June should about 80 for a high and 50's at nigh on average. Weather is usually fairly stable that time of year.
Here is a link to the Illinois State park web site dealing with Camping at Chain-O-Lakes SP. It is only $25 per night with electricity.

SELL & SWAP: Weber Grill Decals!

I am swamped with tax returns, but I am thinking about some things I hope to bring to our Sell & Swap that we plan to be part of our Upper Midwest Meet. I have been working on making replica decals that are professionally printed on vinyl-type peal and stick paper so as to be reasonably weather resistant.

I started with a couple files that a member from AZ who seems to have gone inactive generously shared with our group. From that, I made some of my own including "fat" decals for the Summit/Early Platinum and the earliest narrow decal that was used on the Genesis 1-5 with the metal guage bracket and also on the first Weber Jr. grills. I put a lot of work into this and they aren't all that cheap to print. I believe they will last much longer than homemade inkjet printed ones.

I plan to bring some pre-cut and in ziploc bags to sell for $1 a piece.

Examples of Decals.jpg

That is really cool. And the price is very reasonable since there are no other known sources for them anywhere....Especially the Early Gen 1-5 and Jr ones.

Just a note: The photo I posted above shows just regular paper prototypes. I have the real things on vinyl type decal sheets back from my printer and am very happy with them.

Probably not much interest in that Genesis Jr. Igniter decal, but I needed one for mine and thought maybe there are one or two others who did also. I had to pay to buy that exact, unusual font to match the original text. This is a picture from Jeff's Jr. that has the decal intact. I used it as a template to develop the replica one I made.

Front of Jeff's Jr close.jpg

Last edited:
Now I’m starting to feel bad about not being able to get there!
To be clear Jon, you’re talking about slip skin decals!? How cool! I’m still working on a “Presence” from afar.
With any luck, I will make this work!

The decals I had made are printed on a solid sheet. A little like the large mailing labels you can buy that you peel the back off and stick on. The difference is the material is more slick and it is printed (not ink jetted) so hopefully will hold up for a decent amount of time. (Even the originals deteriorate eventually.) The individual items have to be cut out one at a time. You can still peel off the backing when ready to apply.

Last edited:
Finally had a chance to go see Chris at “Youz Guys” so, with luck, I will be sending some samples for you to try! If I can’t be there,I can at least do something nice!

Timothy, I got the email. We would rather have you, but if you want to march some "samples" to stand in for you, we are open to that.
t0sG1c6.jpg

They will have better taste than I have!
Share some use some for door prizes whatever, post faces enjoying them! I’ll get them off to you as soon as I get together with Chris about the flavors, this morning he said “June? Summer flavors will be getting made then, that’s fun.” If I get lucky maybe I can score some “Dukes” to send. “A porterhouse in a tube” they are fabulous but, quite lean, watch out! They will dry faster than jack rabbits make love!

I was really looking forward to meeting you guys, I’ve learned so much from everyone! The idea of some adult beverages whist not ruining grilled products due to poor equipment or inattentive care, (read someone else watching your back, party animal!) and enjoying crazy grilling stories. Besides it would have been the perfect time for me to get that silver B firebox from you Bruce!
Fun side story about the help you guys have been. My daughter-in-law was trying to fire a gifted maroon hood Genesis but could not get it to light so, she calls me. I go over and fiddle with it for a couple of minutes then the lightbulb goes on about how when you connect a tank sometimes the “safety switch” says start over so, I sweep out more crud from the box, brush away some cobwebs, disconnect the tank, let it rest while I do that, then reconnected the tank and opened the valve, opens the burner, put a match to it and Bruce was my uncle! Took right off, I will help do a tear down and tidy up project with it. Wife’s son has a lead on someone to do media blasting so, I might have all three sets of end caps blasted and then repaint, the burners have a few years of life left in them on the burgundy top. But, it needs some TLC.

Last edited:
We have some new developments regarding the grill meet. First and foremost, Chris Allingham, our forum owner/moderator has been working hard to help us out with sponsorships and his connections with Thermoworks have promised to provide us with a Signals Remote Thermometer as a give-away. If you don’t know anything about Thermoworks, besides being a major TVWBB.com Forum Sponsor, they are a premier company in the BBQ Thermometer arena. They sell very high quality products and the Signals Unit is the upscale remote temperature monitoring system. These are 4 probe units used by a lot of guys in competition BBQ. Someone attending the meet is going to go home with one of these.

Signals.jpg

Here is more information on it: https://www.thermoworks.com/Signals

We have other good news. One of Chris’s connections has come up with a great logo for our First Annual TVWBB Upper Midwest Meet

Small Logo.jpg

This logo is property of Chris Allingham and he has given us permission to use it. We hope to have stickers available sporting the logo. Also, Chris is working on getting this logo available on T-shirts which can be purchased. Chris is kindly offering them at cost so make sure you check them out and consider wearing one to the meet. I think it would be great to have one to wear at the meet and later as a memento.

Here is a link for purchasing the T-Shirts: https://represent.com/first-annual-tvwbb-upper-midwest-meet

We have a two Weber ball caps promised to be available as a door prize as well as a Weber BBQ apron.

Weber Red Hat.jpgWeber Black Hat.jpgWeber Apron.jpg

We have some more great things being worked on, but nothing official yet. We will make those announcements as they present themselves.

We are always looking for new attendees to join the meet. With about 7 or 8 weeks until the meet, we hope some of the members on the fence have solidified up their summer plans enough to be able to commit to attending. Plus, we have a lot of new forum members who probably haven’t heard about this event yet and Jon and I would very much like to see you attend as well. I hope you won’t feel intimidated. This won’t be a get together of “good old boys”. Most of us have never met one another before. We just know each other through the forum and are using this meet to get everyone together that we can to have some face time and share a cold drink and talk grills and grilling. We hope to do some horse trading for grills and parts kind of like an auto show swap meet. So, new members, old members, active member, lurkers, are all welcome. Just go back to the first post on this thread to find out how to get signed up.

Hope to see you all there and we will update this thread as new developments happen.

Jon and Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:

Back