First Annual TVWBB Upper Midwest Meet is a GO

I am hoping that members attending the Grill Meet will take advantage of the opportunity to swap and sell grill parts while being able to avoid shipping costs. I have started a separate thread here PARTS SWAP THREAD where possible trades and requests for parts can be discussed and consummated leading up to the Grill Meet.

TVWBB Upper Midwest Meet - YOU NEED TO BE THERE!

That looks AWESOME, Bruce!

I think this is a perfect opportunity to see this process in action and learn how to do it so that you can decide if it is something you want to do on your own. Then toss in that you can bring your own parts and get some done right on the spot! I am certainly looking forward to it and hope as many as possible will choose to attend.

We also plan to have a PARTS SWAP! Bring grill parts or supplies you are willing to trade or sell and hopefully come home with things you really need. These are very popular at classic car shows, and I think it could be a lot of fun. Also a way to exchange parts without paying a ton to the Post Office or UPS. :coolkettle: I know I will be bringing some stuff!

Maybe people planning on attending should post here things they are in the market for. OK, I see Bruce has this covered!

I would rather see you bring your parts to the meet and let you do the honors, but, Yah, I suppose I could do that. Are you just talking knobs or handles as well. It could get expensive to send more than some knobs. Then, remember I would have to send them back. Double postage.

I have some things would be interested in getting rid of. If someone wants to drop by on the way or day before and grab them/take them to the meet. I planned on taking them myself but as I said nephew just graduated from UI Champaign and it's his party

Larry, Maybe I could swing that way. Not sure of the route I would take yet, but get with me in two or three weeks and maybe we can arrange a stop on my way down.

Here is another example of dyed parts that Sam just posted in another thread.
Don't forget to bring your knobs and handles to the grill meet and get yours done for free.

Here is the old "tentative" list of those who planned to attend. Those on the list should contact Jon and get themselves transitioned to the OFFICIAL status ASAP. Any other members are also encouraged to do the same.

View attachment 24017

BruceLyndon Station, Juneau County, Wisconsin
Dave in KCKansas City, Jackson County, Missouri
Jon TofteBrazil, Clay County, Indiana
Jeff VarchminBartlett, Cook County, Illinois
Greg MSpringfield, Greene County, Missouri
LMichealsRockford, Winnebago County, Illinois
G SchaferLake Villa, Lake County, Illinois
Rick WHollidaysburg, Blair County, Pennsylvania
Brian B AtlantaAtlanta, Fulton County, Georgia
Dave MazzBlue Grass, Scott County, Iowa
MMaetzoldSt. Cloud, Stearns County, Minnesota
Timothy F. LewisKalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan
JimZBarrington, Cook County, Illinois
TonyS T-BoneWestern Springs, Cook County, Illinois
Alex HanMadison, Dane County, Wisconsin
John Johnson-2Manteno, Kankakee County, Illinois
Kelly COlathe, Johnson County, Kansas
Daniel CortesEvergreen Park, Cook County, Illinois
Dave_CVersailles, Woodford County, Kentucky
M CrawDes Moines, Polk County, Iowa
Brad OlsonStoughton, Dane County, Wisconsin
We now have a wedding to attend that day so I can't make it but have a wonderful time!

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT BRINGING TO THE 1st ANNUAL TVWBB UPPER MIDWEST MEET:

I am really looking forward to our Meet next month, and I have started thinking about things I would like to bring - and maybe that some of you will:

• A grill to cook on. Part of the fun will be to cook some good food to share and to see how other people use their grills. Although the Upper Midwest Meet started here in the gas grill section, there is no reason why you can't bring your favorite charcoal Weber. I am hoping to bring a Weber Q2000 and a well-worn Weber CharQ. I think it would be fun to have them both fired up and cook the same things simultaneously to compare the experience - and, of course, the RESULTS
  • Your favorite instant read thermometer. If you are going to cook you need to have it. BBQ expert, and fellow TVWBB member, Meathead says, "Grilling without a thermometer is like driving without a speedometer!" I would love it if someone can bring a Thermoworks MK-4. I will have my trusty "knock-off" ThermoPro. I think it would be fun and informative to compare them in action and how they look and feel in person.
  • PARTS, PARTS, PARTS...We are going to have a "Part Swap/Sale" where you can hopefully buy, sell or swap parts with other members. A great chance to move some stuff you don't plan to use and maybe find that obscure part you need - all while not paying crazy shipping costs.
  • Old gray parts you would like to have dyed black. Bruce will be using the super cool stainless parts cooker pan he fabbed up himself. We will have plenty of dye and room for a fair number of your parts. Bruce's pan is long enough to do handles and end pieces in one "dunk." I have been trying to get him to throw in his magic show presentation that centers around acetone. Stay tuned.
I am sure you all can think of more idea. Why don't you post and share with the rest of us?

See as many of you as possible on June 19!

GOod idea Jon. I need to start up a packing list as well. I will still forget stuff, but just less stuff.

This will be our first meet, so a few questions.
Is it bring your own food, drinks and grill?
Are tents allowed?
Of course bring your own chairs.
Would it be ok to bring food, a dessert of some kind, to share with others?

Thanks in advance and we can't wait, events shirts are ready and waiting too.

Last edited:
This will be our first meet, so a few questions.
Is it bring your own food, drinks and grill?
Are tents allowed?
Of course bring your own chairs.
Would it be ok to bring food, a dessert of some kind, to share with others?

Thanks in advance and we can't wait, events shirts are ready and waiting too.
James, this is at a State park and it also has camping, but you will need reservations.

Link to Chain-O-Lakes State Park: Park Web site: https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/Parks/Activity/Pages/ChainOLakes.aspx
Link to camping reservation site: https://camp.exploremoreil.com/location/236
Yes, bring your own food and drinks, but we are going to come up with a sign up list for people to bring grills. You can bring one if you really want, but there should be plenty available if you don't.
Chairs would be a good thing. There is a pavillion at the site and I believe it has several picnic tables. If you have some of those fold out tables, it would be great to bring those as well.

Back