$5 Genesis Silver A

Hi Jon , with me being a newbie , how is this grill different from a Genesis Silver A ? I see and different side tray and handle and graphics on the hood . Are the grills and burners the same as a Silver A ?
Vince,
The picture of the two grills shows a special “Skyline” version of the basic Silver A from that time. No difference except the hood graphics of the Chicago skyline. It was a special edition Weber did for Sears. The taller grill is the very last Silver A with the cabinetry, flip table, and newer style hood. I combined them - and added a Chicago White Sox tie in - to make my own custom Skyline grill:

ECBEC6AB-B40E-412A-8F38-254585682B68.jpeg

I used a SS steam table pan. I had to dye one end and then the other end. It was not long enough to get the whole handle in at once.
I thought that is how you did that. Could you see any line or a color difference where the two applications overlapped?

NOPE, it was seamless. I think once you get past a certain point in the dying process, the color will no longer darken, but I do think it will go deeper into the plastic the longer you leave it in. Plus the fact that while I was dying it, I moved it around several times, so that probably helped to changed the actual dye level on the handle a little to create a bit of a transition effect....but, no, I could detect no lines or transitions after it was done.

Vince,
The picture of the two grills shows a special “Skyline” version of the basic Silver A from that time. No difference except the hood graphics of the Chicago skyline. It was a special edition Weber did for Sears. The taller grill is the very last Silver A with the cabinetry, flip table, and newer style hood. I combined them - and added a Chicago White Sox tie in - to make my own custom Skyline grill:

View attachment 27559
Cool ! Looks Awesome !!

I used a SS steam table pan. I had to dye one end and then the other end. It was not long enough to get the whole handle in at once.
When you put the lid handle in it to dye it did you have to suspend it in the middle. Can you let the handle touch on the sides or the bottom of the pan. My concern is melting.

I was thinking that when dyeing a handle, you could use one of those plastic wallpaper trays? They're typically 30 inches, they're cheap, and somewhat durable.
wallpaper.jpg

Yah, you need to bring the solution to 200 degrees and maintain that throughout the dying process. Sam, you can have the parts touch the bottom of the pan or the sides. You are occassionaly moving it anyway, but the heat is not enough to melt the handles or knobs. They are designed to handle heat.

Sam, you need to make it up to the Grill Meet next month and we can dye all your handles.
Thanks for the invite Bruce, but it is to far for me being from Texas. and I am tied up. I really wish I could it sounds like it is going to be great fun. I honestly wish I could. I did see where someone was coming all the way from Atlanta Georgia. Maybe next year. Once again I appreciate you thinking of me.

It’s funny Sam I’ve thought about putting on one of those SWE hoods and swapping out my 02 A blue hood

Back