Duroc Pork Steaks

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
bought a couple of "Duroc" pork steaks...
about a buck and a half more per pound than your average pig...

porkDuroc03202021a.jpg
seasoned with this:
PShoneymustardBBQrub1.jpg
tossed on the 26" Weber kettle using a B&B charcoal snake with apple wood atop...
porkDuroc03202021b.jpg
temp inside the grill was a steady 275ºF....
after 2 hours, the steaks were removed, slathered with some Rufus, stacked, foiled and placed back on the kettle
rufusteaguesmokyapple.jpg
porkDuroc03202021c.jpg
porkDuroc03202021d.jpg
after another hour and 20 minutes, the steaks were removed and ready to serve?
porkDuroc03202021e.jpg

porkDuroc03202021f.jpg
plated with sautéed asparagus and "Milk Street Rice Spice" spiced rice... say that 3 times fast
milkstreetspicerice.jpg

porkDuroc03202021g.jpg
everything was good... the steaks coulda gone another hour, yet still pretty tender...
but i got news for y'all...

Jim, even if the Duroc wasn't worth the extra freight, it all looks great! I've had heritage pork that was worth extra cost, and some that wasn't too different from the factory stuff. Maybe your pig just wasn't that tasty! :)

First time I've seen that "rice spice" as a concept. I usually just go straight up white, brown or wild. Sometimes add tomato bouillon for a twist. I'll have to check out Mr. Kimball's other offerings......

R

Looks good Jim, sorry to hear you weren't to happy with it. Except for bacon and pork butts I've given up on pork. What we have around here including Costco is tough and flavorless.

Thanks for your nice comments!
Not that i wasn't happy with the results or the quality of the pork, i just think it isn't worth the Xtra dough compared to regular over-the-counter pork... i guess i was expecting Duroc pork to taste better like Prime is over choice beef...
Anyway, Thanks again for your appreciated comments!

Thanks for your nice comments!
Not that i wasn't happy with the results or the quality of the pork, i just think it isn't worth the Xtra dough compared to regular over-the-counter pork... i guess i was expecting Duroc pork to taste better like Prime is over choice beef...
Anyway, Thanks again for your appreciated comments!
For me, the cuts that really seem to shine with heritage breeds are from the rib primal. Chops, roasts, etc., as they have (typically) a great layer of that white, creamy, flavorful fat that has been bred out of supermarket swine. Next time you decide to try Durock, Berkshire, Kurobota, etc., see how a nice rib chop compares. :)

R

The steaks and sides look great, Jim!

Before you give up on the Duroc, maybe try a steak or chop prepped with just S&P? That way all you'd be tasting is the pork and any differences between it and the supermarket variety might be more noticeable.

Maybe not worth the price, but the pics look like it was worth every penny. Either way, nice plate o' food.

I would not push away that plate! But thanks for the investigative reporting and posting the results. :D
You and Bob have made me hungry for pork steak now.

Grill a pork steak for yourself and a tofu slab for her. She may rethink her position. ;)
That'd get me kicked out of the house! She's not a vegetarian. She can just taste the cheapness of the meat somehow. Any economical cuts like pork steaks, chuck eyes, country style ribs, she's out.

Back