Do I need a WSM, Gasser, and a Kettle

Really, if you ever owned a kettle, you would wonder what to do without it.

Tim

Well, no. I've been grilling, first with my dad, since the early sixties. Always on charcoal, probably lump then. I'm nearly 70 now, in southern New England, and own a Weber Genesis and a kettle. The gasser is just too easy to use. Haven't fired up the kettle for more than a year. Each to his own.

I have a "WSM 18" Classic","Weber Mastertouch 22" Grill with "Grill Grates" and SlowNSear Plus" and finally a "Weber Smoky Joe with Grill Grates".

I am thinking of adding a Weber Q Gasser for convenience for those really lazy days when i am feeling my 76 years.

Last edited:
I just reverse seared USDA Prime rib eye on my Kettle, spiking the B&B oak lump with a couple small chunks of hickory.

My gawd, I don't think anyone can grill a steak any better on a gasser. its not possible.

This is why I love my Kettle.

I just reverse seared USDA Prime rib eye on my Kettle, spiking the B&B oak lump with a couple small chunks of hickory.

My gawd, I don't think anyone can grill a steak any better on a gasser. its not possible.

This is why I love my Kettle.

I don't think anyone thinks its better on gas, but it is quicker.

Well, no. I've been grilling, first with my dad, since the early sixties. Always on charcoal, probably lump then. I'm nearly 70 now, in southern New England, and own a Weber Genesis and a kettle. The gasser is just too easy to use. Haven't fired up the kettle for more than a year. Each to his own.

Sure different strokes, but I was giving the OP my opinion.
If you like to give the OP your opinion, than quote him not me.:)

Tim

Last edited:
The quote is
“To each, his own”. But, I really don’t care.
Some folks have no use for one or the other, I see the value in all the units.
I would not try to break down a large primal of meat with a paring knife either, it’s much more about the right tool for a job. I’m not going to try to do a twelve hour smoke on my Genny, I prefer my steak over charcoal simply because that what I learned on. We use what we have to best advantage. If you only have a gasser, you use it for anything you can adapt. It will never be a kettle, nor will it be a smoker.
A kettle on the other hand is possibly one of the most versatile pieces of outdoor cooking equipment ever.
I’m not convinced that there is one “all purpose” grill/smoker that really is all purpose. Most of these things do not succeed at doing any of their tasks fully, but all of them half heartedly.
Dang, I’m feeling old!

With the equipment that I have, I have several choices as to what to use whether I'm grilling, cooking indirect, or doing an all day smoke. However, when I'm having family or good friends over and want to impress, I'll grill and cook indirect on the kettle and smoke on the WSM. I love my pellet grill and use the gasser in a pinch, but the kettle and WSM are money. Agree with Timothy that the kettle is the most versatile piece of equipment there is and if I could only have one cooker on the deck, it would be a kettle.

I have a Performer, a WSM and an EP-330 gasser. Got the gasser two years ago and it perfectly rounded out my arsenal. Like Lynn said, it's about having the right club for the shot. The Performer sees probably 95% of the action, but for those days where you want quick and easy, or the weather is bad, the gasser is great. It also works well for grilling sides and such if you have a lot of main course material over charcoal. It's great having the extra space if you're cooking for a crowd.

If I had to choose, I'd get the gasser first, then kettle, then WSM.

Gasser because it's quickest/easiest, then Kettle because it can be more versatile (grill/smoke) & can improve the flavor, then I'd get a smoker. How I actually did it was: gasser, WSM, then kettle.

Where I live, there are restrictions on solid fuel burning during bad air days, so some days charcoal & wood grilling isn't even legal.

Sure different strokes, but I was giving the OP my opinion.
If you like to give the OP your opinion, than quote him not me.:)

Tim

Why the hostility? Was I wrong in expressing an opinion contradicting either your or the original poster? I was expressing an opinion re the kettle. Thin skin much? I like the kettle, but the convenience of the gasser is undeniable.

No, I am not sorry I asked the question in the first place. I didn't expect this many responses. The discussion is great. I plan to buy a new Weber gasser (model tbd) just due to the convenience and my wife will use it. The responses helped me decide that I do not "need" a kettle, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have one. But the deck will have to be expanded to accommodate three Webers.

Thanks to all of the responses. Great food for thought.

If I may, let me continue the momentum: does the gas-assist performer light the coals as quickly as what is achieved with a full load in a chimney?

If I may, let me continue the momentum: does the gas-assist performer light the coals as quickly as what is achieved with a full load in a chimney?

I'm not so sure I understand exactly what you are asking, but here goes. I have used Weber cubes, a dedicated side burner and my performer to light full chimneys, they all perform about the same. I usually just get the bottom coals started and let them get the others going. The performer has two curved baskets to hold the coals and the lighter works very well lighting them also.

Fill up the chimney and put it over the gas assist on the Performer, or put it in the baskets it comes with. I usually turn the gas off after 3 or 4 minutes and let the chimney do it's thing. 15 minutes later I am ready to go. My Performer is my go to grill. Definitely get the gas assist.

I love my old performer and use it to start charcoal for it or the WSM. Its just so easy. I can't get a full chimney lit in 15 minutes. It normally takes 30 minutes after 3 minutes of gas assist lighting. If I want to shorten the time I double the time I have the gas assist on and then I get closer to 15 minutes. When using a vortex I just position it so the gas assist will get the coals started and then they heat up.

Bob, A.. A performer will be low cost compared to your deck overhaul. Have fun.

Bob, im considering expanding my patio for a third time to better enjoy al fresco gustatory delights and not feel quite so cramped since I got the Genny. I like where I’ve positioned “Most” everything out there but, it can feel a bit “close” with 6 out there.
You might consider looking for an older gasser and try a restoration project? I feel like I have a better unit even though it’s older, the guys on the gas grill page helped me through the whole process! It was a bit dirty but, I know what I have and just how it “got that way”. I’m looking for another donor lid so I can swap the blue one for black on the silver B I have out on loan. My plan is to clean up the blue one for later use or trading stock

We have and use all three. The Genesis 1000 was purchased a few years ago as an addition to the Performer and 18”WSM.and we like it. When it’s just my wife and I we use it for quick cooks like brats or burgers. We also use it for cooking sides. The Performer is the workhorse and when meat is involved, it is always our first choice, I’ve used this for over ten years now and could never see being without it. Get one or a kettle, it’s a no brainer. There are so many things we enjoy on the WSM. Pork butts, brisket, ribs, PSB, always taste better smoked.

Good Luck!
Rolf

We have an 18.5" WSM, Performer gas assist and recently added a little Weber Q. for cooking vegetables, dogs, a couple of burgers, etc. it's great. The stainless table in the photo was just a couple of hundred bucks and is better than 5 years old. Still in good shape. Very functional.

Jeff
Tasty trio by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Why the hostility? Was I wrong in expressing an opinion contradicting either your or the original poster? I was expressing an opinion re the kettle. Thin skin much? I like the kettle, but the convenience of the gasser is undeniable.

Sorry you feel that way, I wasn't being hostile or thin skinned, and again I'll add a smiley :)
I just feel that folks should address the OP first. It makes the thread easier to read and it won't go sideways.

Tim

Back