COVID 19 vaccine

ChuckH

TVWBB Super Fan
Just curious, without getting controversial or political, how does everyone feel about the vaccines being put in play now? Are you going to take it? Personally I can’t wait to get mine. Would take it to day if I could. I feel that at some point I am going to have to trust the manufacturers, and FDA that it is safe and effective. And over 300,000 deaths in 10 months is a pretty good motivator.

I told my dr I wanna be first in line. While I think much of this was over politicized and blown out of proportion I would still rather err on the safe side. I see tons of posts from "anti vaccers" on FB and the like. Could you imagine if those goofballs were around when we were being rvaged by polio and the like? Anyone (like myself) who is old enough to remember seeing friends being affected by some of the horrible diseases we saw growing up in the 50's and earlier that are now eradicated knows how off the wall these people are.

Sign me up too! Only problem I see is the "customized" priorities each state designates. Absolutely no issue with most of the priorities, but here in Nevada, inmates get vaccine before over 65 with pre-existing conditions who are not in facilities. I guess those of us who have managed to stay independent, pay taxes, and don't commit crimes get penalized. I don't see the logic especially since Covid already has run rampant thru correctional facilites. By all means vaccinate the people who work there and go home each night.

I would get the shot in a heartbeat right after Barb gets hers. With her working at Safeway everything the customers touch she touches. As much as I love her it scares me every time she comes through the door after leaving work.
To Larry's point about the fifties I had my best friend come down with polio, spent a year in an iron lung, he survived and was one of the lucky ones that did. But remained crippled for the rest of his life. The vaccine wasn't available when he got polio but soon afterward and my parent's hauled my butt down to the doctors office as soon as it did.

Sign me up too! Only problem I see is the "customized" priorities each state designates. Absolutely no issue with most of the priorities, but here in Nevada, inmates get vaccine before over 65 with pre-existing conditions who are not in facilities. I guess those of us who have managed to stay independent, pay taxes, and don't commit crimes get penalized. I don't see the logic especially since Covid already has run rampant thru correctional facilites. By all means vaccinate the people who work there and go home each night.
Dan, I certainly can understand your frustration with the way the vaccines have been prioritized concerning inmates, and to an extent agree with you. But with the overwhelming high percentage of positive cases in the prison system and the taxpayer cost to treat them, not to mention the critical lack of hospital bed space for them I can see why it is the way it is. Most prisons, even federal prisons do not have the means to treat the cases in house. I don’t like it either. But is there another way?

Dan, I certainly can understand your frustration with the way the vaccines have been prioritized concerning inmates, and to an extent agree with you. But with the overwhelming high percentage of positive cases in the prison system and the taxpayer cost to treat them, not to mention the critical lack of hospital bed space for them I can see why it is the way it is. Most prisons, even federal prisons do not have the means to treat the cases in house. I don’t like it either. But is there another way?
Chuck:
We have to pay the cost either way so their healthcare should not be superior to law abiding citizens. Most systems released many of the populations. Keep the rest of them all in cell confinement for the 10 days isolation and hold all incoming prisoners at local jails until the vulnerable populations are taken care of.

I want the vaccination, but only after first responders & the elderly get it. I work in an "essential business", but I'll wait my turn. Far too many people have more dangerous conditions than I. Plus, I worry terribly about my parents getting covid.
Here in so-Cal, the media is making a big stink about the 2 people in Alaska who had allergic reactions to the vaccine. Always gotta be stirring the pot...
Whoever is making decisions in Nevada needs a blanket party; giving prisoners priority is just dirty rotten!

I don’t know if anyone is old enough to remember but were there any antivaxxers back in the 50s who were against the polio vaccine?
I don’t remember any!
My mother survived her bout with polio but, suffered from it until her death in 2013, post polio muscle deterioration was very hard on her.
I’m in as soon as I can get one. And, like Rich, I will follow my wife right away.
I am often reminded of a comment I have been known to musicians who don’t know anything older than the last ten years “you have to know where you came from to know where you’re going!” I think that applies here too, we learn from history then, for some reason, we decide that we need to rewrite it. That leads to poor understanding of what has really happened. We must learn from the history, not tear it down and cover it up because it’s distasteful otherwise we are destined to repeat some of those bad ideas.
End history lesson rant.

I was young, but I don't remember any mom NOT wanting the vaccine for any of my friends. Bam as soon as they could we got our a$$es dragged to wherever and got vaccinated. Not just for polio either. Any of the then new vaccines. I recall one of my buds in grade school he got (I think) scarlet fever (I could be wrong here but it is something now vaccinated for). He was always on the "chunkier side" not fat, just bigger than the rest of us Skinny Ginny kids. One day he's at school early in the school year next day and for months after he's not. Try to go to his house to "call him out" (that's how we did it in the 50's "Yo Jeff" or whatever). Big sign on the door. Big word "Quarantine". His mom opens the window says "he's sick". Well when it was finally over he was skinnier than us "skinny ginnies", he said priests had to remotely give him "Extreme Unction" (back then what we called "Last Rights" the whole 9 yards!. Anyway it was some baaaaaaad stuff he got into. Yeah I wanna see the anti vaccers put their kids through that crap.
BTW in Chicago the mayor lets the inmates out but if you're caught at a family gathering she throws you in jail. So the criminals get out but someone visiting aunts and uncles gets locked up.

We're definitely going to get the vaccine as soon as we're eligible. My wife will be getting the vaccine before I do since she's in Nursing School and her and her classmates should be able to get the vaccine sometime later this winter after the Spring Semester starts in late Jan. I'm not in any of the priority groups so I won't be able to get it until early spring most likely.

For those of us on the forum who have kids, well, my best guess is that they won't be able to get the vaccine until late summer or early fall. I think Phizer started clinical trials on kids in the 12-15 age group earlier this fall, and Moderna will be starting their trials in a few weeks. So we won't know the results until about the time kids are out of school for the summer.

One more thing. Johnson & Johnson should be announcing their trial results sometime later next month. Same thing with Astra-Zenica, & Novavax. So there could be as many as 5 vaccines available by spring.

I'm in when it's available but keep in mind the flu vaccine was developed in the 1940's and the flu is still around. I fear the same may be true for the COVID-19 vaccines as quickly as COVID-19 seems to mutate.

Back