costco brisket

JimZ

TVWBB Super Fan
Looking for some opinions on the cryo vac brisket you can get at costco. Good or bad ?????
Thanks,

For one thing Jim, you posted under recipes, the place to post recipes. :)

Many of us have cooked Costco packer briskets, don't recall any complaints.
Most buy the Prime grade if available.
Can't go wrong with any of Costco's meat, IMO.

I've moved the thread. No harm, no foul, just wrong forum.

Costco has very fine meat. The USDA Prime brisket represents a great value for the price. You can't go wrong with their USDA Choice, either, if it's available. Sometimes if you pick through the pile of Choice briskets you'll find a Certified Angus Beef brisket mixed in with the others, and I like to grab those if they look good, they may be tending toward the high end of Choice.

If cooking in the backyard, I have no problem recommending Costco. If you're doing a BBQ competition and you're serious about it, you're probably looking for something else like SRF brisket or similar.

Good luck and happy brisket barbecuing!

Barb and I get our Briskets from Costco along with our ribs and have never been disappointed.

I get all my packers from COSTCO. I especially like the Prime. In fact, I just heated up some leftovers from my last packer — excellent.

I didn't realize there was a section for ingredients. Thanks for the input everyone!

I didn't realize there was a section for ingredients. Thanks for the input everyone!
Jim,
You're not the first to do that, nor will you be the last, it was no big deal, but I think it's why no one had responded earlier on.
Good luck with that brisket cook, and welcome to the forum!

I just bought three Costco prime briskets for a youtube video that has yet to be posted. All three were good, but the one in the middle was best. And it had the best texture and moisture in the end.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F-3U4OtCfZIhbXm1Xw-MIs0cjFBInYz1/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nprkKEq4hhtjE5h6etCEmO8ZkXiYpEEl/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VFHg7d2OU7fHuEf3JU7_-nfJ-BA6rECf/view?usp=sharing

Go for it Jim. I agree with Chris. I think they are great for home cooking. Enjoy it!

Last edited:
I've moved the thread. No harm, no foul, just wrong forum.

Costco has very fine meat. The USDA Prime brisket represents a great value for the price. You can't go wrong with their USDA Choice, either, if it's available. Sometimes if you pick through the pile of Choice briskets you'll find a Certified Angus Beef brisket mixed in with the others, and I like to grab those if they look good, they may be tending toward the high end of Choice.

If cooking in the backyard, I have no problem recommending Costco. If you're doing a BBQ competition and you're serious about it, you're probably looking for something else like SRF brisket or similar.

Good luck and happy brisket barbecuing!

I agree on all accounts, very pleased with Costco meats especially Prime anything.

And in related news this just in... On the Tacoma Truck forum evidence was posted a week ago that in the DFW Texas area that at least 2 Costcos are carrying SRF Black Grade Wagyu brisket. For $4.99 a pound. Fingers crossed that this spreads to other Costco stores including the one near me. If not I will be working out a deal with someone in that area to be a proxy for me!

I agree on all accounts, very pleased with Costco meats especially Prime anything.

And in related news this just in... On the Tacoma Truck forum evidence was posted a week ago that in the DFW Texas area that at least 2 Costcos are carrying SRF Black Grade Wagyu brisket. For $4.99 a pound. Fingers crossed that this spreads to other Costco stores including the one near me. If not I will be working out a deal with someone in that area to be a proxy for me!
Yes, I saw a photo yesterday 6/29 from Smoked Seduction on IG, he bought SRF briskets at Costco in Livermore, CA.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkl9RlFF_Wb/

I wonder how SRF has the capacity to supply briskets in such volume to Costco? Wasn't there a high-quality brisket shortage not that long ago?

Back