Coronavirus - Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barb told me when she got home yesterday that a few customers told her that the fry's (Kroger) in Prescott was virtually empty. No meat, milk, eggs, produce, frozen foods, paper products, canned goods, just nothing.
There are three Walmart's, three Safeway's, three Fry's and one Costco in the quad city's area which supports over 50k people and all of them are rapidly running out of food.
Her store (Safeway) can't order anything, they get what they get. They are now rationing meat and other items with a limit of two. Doing that to try and slow down the hording.
She told me that most people are still being nice but more and more are getting angry. They have had people screaming at each other.
The store is doing the best they can by providing sodas, water and snacks for the employees along with gloves and hand sanitizers.
I've been in isolation for four days now and not liking it at all and it's not going to get better any time soon.
Don't mean to be gloom and doom but having an insider involved in the food chain I thought I would share what s going on here.
Also those of you who have pets I went to order some more food for Whitney and Abby and Costco was sold out, Chewy was sold out, Walmart sold out, finally found some at Petco. Keep your furry friends in mind.

Rich & Barb:
It is worrisome how things are progressing. I have ventured out to the store since I only have the age factor. My wife has lost one kidney to a tumor and has leaking heart valves so she is staying home. Many stores here are now having senior priority hours, but there is little of the needed items. I was at Albertson's yesterday and there were some improvements in some categories, mostly items that are restocked by the independent vendors, not Albertsons. One would hope that things would be starting to catch up, but not yet here in Las Vegas.

I forgot to hope that Barb does well and stays safe at work. She truly is on the front lines just like our son who is a retail pharmacist. Not much separation, little protection, and multiple people per hour. I talk with the people still at my old FD and they are very worried, but continue forward. I hope everyone gets through this safely and in good health.

When my youngest son told me that he was inventorying his ammo stock I thought he was over reacting.
Now I'm not so sure.
Same here. I have stocked up as much as I feel I need. When I was at the gun shop Friday, ran into a couple guys not hoarding but buying a fair amount. One guy said he lives in a nice area that never has any trouble but in the last 2 weeks has had 16 break ins. So I have enough heavy and lighter (22 hollow points) to give anyone a pretty hard time. And from now on when I am working on the outside of my home there will be a loaded 357 on my hip! Also a good amount of 12ga buckshot loads. It has come to this.

.......Her store (Safeway) can't order anything, they get what they get. They are now rationing meat and other items with a limit of two. Doing that to try and slow down the hording.
She told me that most people are still being nice but more and more are getting angry. They have had people screaming at each other. ...
Keep your furry friends in mind."

I made a Publix run yesterday to get some essentials. Not very busy and no unruly customers though I'm sure they get them They had whole milk for a change but bread and meat were in short supply. We're both 78 and avoiding others as much as possible. Fortunately we both have strong immune systems for old codgers. I worry more about my grandkids in the restaurant business who are furloughed in Colorado.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also those of you who have pets I went to order some more food for Whitney and Abby and Costco was sold out,
Brooke eats Costco's Kirkland mature dog variety, comes in 40 lb. bags. She had plenty but I just ordered another bag from their online store, no shipping cost and it's supposed to arrive this Wednesday. Also some jerky treats.
Hope it doesn't get down to her having to share it with us.

Went to my local Jewel ( Albertsons) for a beer run. 7am and about a dozen cars in the lot, 1 or 2 peeps waiting in line.
Fresh meat dept was empty except for corned beef, turkeys and cornish hens. Quite a selection on frozen seafood and they had plenty of milk, dairy.
Overall the store seemed well stocked for pantry items. I didn't scope out the paper isle cause were ok on that.

Tim

My freezer in my garage has been dying for a long time. I knew I was going to have to replace it at some point. Well, it finally bit the bullet. Do go to find another one only to find out that there was a run on those also. It seems somehow everyone has become rich. Buying hundreds of dollars worth of food and other stuff. Where are people suddenly getting all this money to be able to do these things? I'm looking forward to normally again. I eventually find a freezer, but but having to search was something I didn't expect.

IMG_20200321_103810692.jpg

Jason:
We ran into the same issue back in September. Nobody seems to want to stock them mostly due to inventory taxes. All want to deliver in a week or so. Of course, the big box stores have killed off all of the small appliance stores. We struck out at Lowes, HD, and lucked out finally at Best Buy. They did a next day delivery. Fortunately, between our garage fridge only on for holidays, our main fridge, and our son having some room in his freezer, we didn't lose anything. Good luck, hope you find what you need.

Jason:
We ran into the same issue back in September. Nobody seems to want to stock them mostly due to inventory taxes. All want to deliver in a week or so. Of course, the big box stores have killed off all of the small appliance stores. We struck out at Lowes, HD, and lucked out finally at Best Buy. They did a next day delivery. Fortunately, between our garage fridge only on for holidays, our main fridge, and our son having some room in his freezer, we didn't lose anything. Good luck, hope you find what you need.
I did find one. It was delivered yesterday. However, they delivered the wrong one. I'll have to figure out what to do about that now since it looks like nothing else is available until April or May.

I tried to buy the refrigerator we want through a local shop (coincidentally, the same shop that would handle warranty service on it.) The manufacturer will not allow him to sell that model.

Brooke eats Costco's Kirkland mature dog variety, comes in 40 lb. bags. She had plenty but I just ordered another bag from their online store, no shipping cost and it's supposed to arrive this Wednesday. Also some jerky treats.
Hope it doesn't get down to her having to share it with us.
We feed Whitney Kirkland weight management, which isn't listed on the web site. But all the Kirkland dry foods on the web site said sold out.
Maybe the store itself might have some but I'm not taking the chance of going to the store. Abby gets fed Purina One chicken and rice and Whit loves that so will be using that until I can get the Kirkland for her.
The dogs have been stuck with me because of the lousy weather, this morning it was sunny although windy I took a chance and took Whitney out into the fields at the end of our street and turned her lose. She was a happy camper ran and ran some more. Took her for about a one mile walk we both enjoyed it.
Barb took Abby for a nice long walk, we can't take them together as Abby wants to play with Whit and 180 pounds of very strong dogs on leashes playing with each other and two 70+ seniors that's a recipe for disaster.

Same here. I have stocked up as much as I feel I need. When I was at the gun shop Friday, ran into a couple guys not hoarding but buying a fair amount. One guy said he lives in a nice area that never has any trouble but in the last 2 weeks has had 16 break ins. So I have enough heavy and lighter (22 hollow points) to give anyone a pretty hard time. And from now on when I am working on the outside of my home there will be a loaded 357 on my hip! Also a good amount of 12ga buckshot loads. It has come to this.
Stopped in Dunhams sports where I live and the ammo section was pretty much cleared out with the exception of odd calibers. I have plenty at home but went there to buy some pellets for my son

Starting tomorrow in WI only essential businesses will be allowed to operate, but as of yet "essential" hasn't been defined.

But knowing this state, liquor stores will qualify.🍻

Virginia did the same thing. And yes, liquor stores will remain open. Tax man needs his money.

As of noon today we are "safer at home" as declared by the county health director,
meaning...Only essential businesses are allowed to open. All others CLOSED.
The county health director gave us an update... ZERO cases in the hospitals in our county. ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back