Coronavirus - Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Harris-Teeter today, and their meat case was completely bare except for some fake meat. The rest of the store looked picked over as well, but I did manage to get what I came after. The deli looked well stocked. I asked the attendant if the store was having supply issues, and he said trucks are not arriving at regular intervals anymore due to the panic. He also said some warehouses were being looted? I can't confirm that yet, but the news did say that truckers are being followed to their destinations just to see what kind of stock they are unloading.

This virus issue will pass in time, and become a distant memory, but I wonder if shopping habits will ever be the same again.
If people don't settle down things will get worse. This ridiculous.

Went to the local Stop & Shop for geezer only hours at 6am this morning. We got more then we expected but very limited meat, basic baking items, and paper goods. The place was pretty much packed, no such thing at social distancing once you got in the store. Check out lines were probably 10 people long.

Won't do that again.

Went to the local Stop & Shop for geezer only hours at 6am this morning. We got more then we expected but very limited meat, basic baking items, and paper goods. The place was pretty much packed, no such thing at social distancing once you got in the store. Check out lines were probably 10 people long.

Won't do that again.

Many are turning to grocery delivery. But my parents went to place an order this morning and were told the delivery time is 5 days. :oops:

Many are turning to grocery delivery. But my parents went to place an order this morning and were told the delivery time is 5 days.
I tried that route.
Placed an order via Instacart Tuesday, mostly meat and a few odds and ends. Delivery was supposed to be last night between 7 and 8. Just before that time the emails started coming every few minutes saying delivery will be delayed and my personal shopper was getting my order together. About 12 emails in all, each one bumping the time to 15 minutes later.
When the last one came saying it would be 11:15 to 11:30 (well past my bedtime) I put a note on the door refusing delivery and went to bed. No emails came after that one, no response from them this morning, and it still says my order is being put together.
The kicker is I checked my order after the first email and it showed what had been found, and that I was being refunded for all the beef items, and one poultry item, my amount went from $105 to $45.
I understand they are swamped and weren't prepared for what is happening but something has to change before I try using them again.

My brother is needing rubbing alcohol, so I called Sam's Club pharmacy to see if any was available, and they said no. Looks like folks are going have to treat grocery day like Black Friday and get there before the crack of dawn for the time being. :(

Lets not forget the medical professionals who are on the front line. Endangering themselves and their family trying to help us.
The shortage of PPE is in itself a crisis.

Tim

My daughter tells me they only have 10 days of PPE equipment left in the isolation area. She has to change gear everytime she enters or exits one of the rooms. Her anxiety level is wearing her down quick.

I had a service call a nearby rural hospital. I walked in the main entrance and you would have thought nothing was going on at all. No signs, no nothing. No one screened me when I walked in. It was pretty bizarre. There was an old guy in the lobby on oxygen who I would imagine would be HIGHLY at risk.

Shelter in place is what Mrs Dollar and I have been doing voluntarily. She's now teleworking and the only time we get out is go the grocery store .......... or when I take the pug to the park for our daily walk or I ride the bicycle.

I've noticed on my bike rides through the adjoining neighborhoods, that a lot of people are home. I see more cars in driveways, people outside or in their garage, walking their dogs, or just going walking .

Its sort've bizarre.

My mom lives about an hour and a half east of Charlotte where I live.
She called Pammi Sue yesterday and told her that she couldn't find any bread or water there.
So, Pammi is baking fresh bread for her and found some water for her. We're taking it to her Saturday.
I called mom today and told her that we'd be out, but not staying.
I'm still in the big truck, delivering batteries. I meet a LOT of people in the course of a day and keep my distance as much as possible.
Mom is 85. I'm not taking any chances on her getting this thing if I'm a carrier.

Phil, I totally agree with your stance for your mom, and that’s a great thing you guys are doing making her the bread.

Many are turning to grocery delivery. But my parents went to place an order this morning and were told the delivery time is 5 days. :oops:
My wife placed an order yesterday at Meijer. They said delivery today between 7-8 am.
The personal shopper texted us a few times at 7 about what wasn't available and would you like to sub.
She got here right at 8, Cost was $5.00 for delivery and I tipped her a five ( in a ziploc bag).

Tim

Still no word from Instacart about our order, and it shows our shopper is still getting our 'scheduled to be delivered Wednesday evening' order together. I don't expect to get anything.
Guess I'll brave the morning senior hour next week, unless there's a crowd.

Cases are low here compared to some states, but have gone from 2 a couple weeks ago to 28 known cases and one death.

Barb and I are staying in place the best we can.
The AZ national guard has been called up to help the super markets restock. Looks like Barb as a cashier at Safeway is considered an essential employee now and will receive additional benefits.
No, I'm not happy with her still working but Barb is a trooper. She believes she is helping people by taking the risk of being at work. Like she said if all of us walked away then nobody would be able to get the things they need. Many of the customers that come through her line thank her for being there.
Walmart and all the grocery stores are begging people to come to work for them in this crises, I find it amazing that none of the employees in her store have bailed.
Just hope this has a happy ending for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back