Cinco de Mayo Fajitas

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I went with some skirt steak fajitas for our Cinco de Mayo dinner. I thawed out a one pound package of outside skirt steak that I've been saving since our last trip up to Oregon. Here's a few pictures.

Had to spend a little time with silver skin removal. Split this piece roughly in half and refroze for a rainy day, hopefully.
DSC_3283 (Large).JPG

Gave it a soak in a nice marinade for a few hours. Marinade was lime juice, olive oil, garlic chopped and then mashed, ground cumin, sliced bell peppers, red onion and some cilantro sprigs.

DSC_3284 (Large).JPG

Removed the meat from marinade and grilled it quickly over some high heat.

DSC_3289 (Large).JPG

DSC_3291 (Large).JPG

Removed and drained the pepper mixture and tossed in a cast iron pan until soft.

DSC_3294 (Large).JPG

DSC_3299 (Large).JPG

Sliced the meat.

DSC_3300 (Large).JPG

Plated it up on some flour tortillas. Rather a "plain Jane" plate shot, but it sure was delicious. Meat was extremely tender and a nice citrus flavor from the marinade.

DSC_3304 (Large).JPG

Hope you all had a good Cinco de Mayo. Thanks for looking.

Nothing Plain Jane about those fajitas, Cliff! I wish I could go freezer diving and come up with some skirt. The only place in town that I've seen it wants over $20/lb!!! :oops:

R

Looks Great! Skirt steak is hard to find here for some reason. When I do find it its $$$$$

Thanks everyone!

Skirt steak is hard to find here for some reason. When I do find it its $$$$$

Hey Case..... We were in Medford last October. There's a couple of butcher shops there we like to check out while on vacation. I picked up the skirt steak at $14.95/lb. Also got some flank and a great looking pot roast. I checked out a shop in Central Point too, but wasn't as impressed.

Wow; those do look fantastic! This year we cheated and bought takeout from a local Mexican restaurant that we're trying to support during this time to hopefully help them survive. It's one of our favorite restaurants and we love it there. But Cliff, your fajitas look super delicious, enough to inspire me to make my own soon!

Outstanding fajitas, Cliff!

Every time I see the word fajita I have to laugh.
Years ago I was at a Mexican restaurant with my kids and unfamiliar with the name fajita.
I pronounced it the way it looked to me, they still tease me about it.
I won't post here what it rhymed with. o_O

Every time I see the word fajita I have to laugh.
Years ago I was at a Mexican restaurant with my kids and unfamiliar with the name fajita.
I pronounced it the way it looked to me, they still tease me about it.
I won't post here what it rhymed with. o_O
Bob, I'd like to hear more about this. Perhaps you could record a video of you speaking about it...you know, a monologue?;)

Last edited:

Back