Chimney or torch?

Here’s how I do a “tin can minion” start with the IKEA silverware caddy-it hardly gets any cheaper than this:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?38...-Pepper-Stout-Beef&highlight=Silverware+caddy

Keep on smokin’,
Dale53:wsm:

I was thinking of trying that, but I can’t stand going to IKEA. I’m also a bit confused on the process. It says to just put a starter cube in the bottom and fill it with charcoal. Wouldn’t the charcoal basically smother the flame and never get going?

Anyway, thanks for the input. I bought a compact Weber chimney from Amazon. For $11, I just needed to be done with it. I also got some charcoal rails to hold some charcoal off to the side for some indirect grilling. That was $8. So, for less than the cost of a Jumbo Joe at regular price, I got the JJ on sale plus accessories. All in, less than $60. Not bad.

Jerry;
When using the IKEA Caddy, I place one Weber lighting cube in the bottom center. I light it, then carefully place the number of briqs I need around and on top of tge cube. I have NEVER had it go out. I have both the large and small Weber chimneys but find the IKEA better when dealing with 8-12 briqs for a tin can minion start in the 14.5” WSM and Mini smoker.

YMMV
Keep on smokin’.
Dale53:wsm:

P.S. Navigating through an IKEA store can be daunting. Maybe, take a GPS?:rolleyes:rdm

Last edited:
A camp stove is a great idea! Do you use the butane ones? Or the ones that use Isobutane? Pictures would be great from anyone else who's done this.

I have a Performer Platinum with the "gas assist". It's what I use to start briquettes for the WSM as well as the kettle.

If you pop the cone out of a standard Weber chimney and reinstall it upside down, It brings the charcoal several inches closer to the flame. Even a small number of briquettes will group themselves together in the inverted cone, rather than spreading out to the sides of the chimney. Works like a champ.

Jeff

A camp stove is a great idea! Do you use the butane ones? Or the ones that use Isobutane? Pictures would be great from anyone else who's done this.

Also, for those that use this or the side burner of you gasser, does the flame have to touch the coals to get them lit? Or, is the heat enough to get the going even if the flames don’t actually touch the charcoal.

Here is what I used to use for lighting my chimneys (not shown is the Ikea silverware caddy that also fits on it). Both a large chimney and small one fit fine.
This one is butane.

30877345748_d20162d969_z.jpg
[/url]100_3891 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

30877344938_c0a0e6e486_z.jpg
[/url]100_3893 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

30877343828_593198c7fa_z.jpg
[/url]100_3895 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
If you're using a side burner or gas-assist Performer, briquettes will light faster if you flip the cone inside the chimney. I just replaced my 12-year-old chimney and did the flip. Takes about 2 minutes. If you start minion fires, the inverted cone holds a small amount of briquettes closer together so they light even faster.

Jeff

Chimney flip by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

I’d think the “Flipped Cone” modification would be a superior set up the gas burner ignition too, no?
Rich, any opinion on that?

Ain't lighting a chimney hard on a gas burner?

Sounds like hot ashes could create havoc on the burner and the orifices.

Was that hard to do?

Not at all. pop the tab across from the handle first by squeezing the chimney to bend it slightly out of round. Pull it up and pop one of the other tabs and then it will just lift out. Flip it and reinstall it by inserting one tab at a time. The last tab will require a bit of a push into place. In the photo, you can see the mark where the final tab slid down the side of the chimney. It takes about two minutes.

Jeff

Back