Chimney or torch?

Ill be doing a Sidewinder method nine pound butt Saturday, torch ignition. Weather is supposed to be deliciously cool this weekend! This should be a good weekend for a nice slow smoke!

Ain't lighting a chimney hard on a gas burner?

Sounds like hot ashes could create havoc on the burner and the orifices.

On both the butane stove and the repurposed side burner I just get the coals started then move the chimney to the fire grate of whatever grill or smoker I'm using to heat up. Very little or no ash falls on the burner. Been doing that for years with the stove and 2 years with the side burner without any problems at all.

Chalk me up to the chimney. I have both large and small. Large for the 22” grill and WSM, small for the Joe and 14” WSM.

I've always found adding less coal to the large chimney works well when I need less. Is there a benefit to having/using the smaller chimney for less that I'm not aware of?

I made this Chimney starter stand from a bunch of discarded parts from work. I added a garage sale $4.99 Lodge cast iron pan to finish it off. Yes it weighs around 60 Lbs and is hard to move , but thats what I was looking for.

Lodge handle works perfect to hold smaller chimney.

Putting the little chimney to work on the second part of high heat rib cook.

Those new torches look mighty fine though.

Ah, yes! “The careful re use of pieces discarded or erstwhile cast off from others to a more beneficial or practical use.” Also known as either “recycling” or practical brilliance!
My chimney holder is 3/4” galvanized pipe sections which are “outboard” support on the double barreled “Performer” as the original cantilever concept needed a little support. The other option would have required a pipe bender which I do not possess.

Back