Chicken Smoked with Peach Wood

Barret

TVWBB Pro
Last night I smoked a chicken using peach wood I just received with my Fruita Wood order that also included pear wood. I soaked it in a simple salt and honey brine, then stuffed it with onions, celery, garlic, and butter. It was super delicious next to a heap of green beans and rice that was cooked in smoked chicken stock and paired with a Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Hazy.

I'm definitely sold on Fruita Wood chunks. They are quite large, so I can always hand split if needed, and they sell their wood at a decent price.

Also, the cast iron skillet is the only of its kind we own, which my wife procured from her grandmother when she was moved into a home and is about 70 - 75 years old. It's a great addition to our kitchen, and we'll most likely pass it along to one of our sons in our will.

One more thing: ignore the TV tray that still has the Ross sticker attached! We've been eating in front of the TV almost every night this week to get some good entertainment with our kids since they don't need to get up super early like they normally would.

Cheers!
Barret

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg08.jpg09.jpg

I don’t believe I like almost anything more than a beautifully roasted chicken and that is truly a beauty!
OK maybe a 1 7/8” thick ribeye but, it’s a pretty close race!

That is a great looking bird, Barrett! I'm with Tim, there's really nothing quite as comforting as a nice roasted chicken, served up with some quality sides. And I'm sure grandma-in-law would be happy to see her skillet still in use......you really only need one! :)

R

Yea, Barrett its hard to beat fruit woods from Fruita woods. They really have the flavors in the wood.
Cool way to cook a bird. Will give that a shot next time. Nice post.

Barrett,
I am new to this with my WSM, but I had only done whole chickens in the classic bbq flavor profile. Reading this post and seeing those great pictures got me motivated to do a savory bird. Last week I did my last whole chicken in a savory rub with a kick of heat that I use to oven roast chickens and sometimes turkeys. I did it at 250 and let it go at its own pace with some cheery wood, and I cooked it in a metal pan I had. It was my favorite thing I have cooked on my WSM so far. I made mashed potatoes, stuffing balls, and grilled up asparagus directly over the charcoal ring while the chicken rested. The best part was the gravy I made with the drippings. Then I made stock with the carcass. I made some Pennsylvania Dutch chicken corn soup yesterday as it rained all day and the stock was such a great addition. Using the stock made me realize I had not come back to thank you for the idea that lead to two great meals. Thanks for the inspiration.
Michael

Michael - thanks for the great narrative on just how far you took the chicken! Excellent sounding food, and glad you were inspired. Cheers!

I'm stealing your cast iron idea today.
Have an creole injected bird with some baby reds going on the performer soon.
Hope it comes out as good as yours.
Tim

Back