Butterflied Pork Butt

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
If ya don't wanna attempt to debone the butt, I used Chef Tom's method last month and was very happy with the results. It exposed more of the meat to smoke and rub.

I had to debone a butt recently to cut into pork steaks. Was terrified after watching Chris’s video, but I watched a couple other more successful ones and managed to get it done fairly well after about 10 minutes of careful work with a razor sharp fillet knife. It can be done.

My Costco recently has only had bone outs over the past few months. So instead of tie-ing them up with butcher twine, instead go 180 degrees the other way.

More bark, faster cook time. No bad night sleep from an overnight cook.

Such a duh obvious good idea.

Sure glad I saw this, just picked up an 11 pound butt to make my winter stash of PP and was dreading the cook. With my luck I be at it for 15-16 hours.
But I'm set to go now just put the new chain on the chain saw and go to it.:D

pulled pork in 5 hours, my @$$

well after 5 hours, it's still at 142ºF
still need another 3 or so more hours.

so, pulled pork will be a Sunday dinner.
now, it's pizza or chuck eyes...

Did you run the WSM at 275*F, foil the pork at 160*F, then bump your blower up to 325*F like he did in the article?
By the way, the title does say, "in about 5 hours". Eight hours is "about" 5 hours, right? :LOL:
I did run between 265º and 285ºF... after it hit the 160º mark (took 8½hrs to reach), the pork was foiled and the WSM temps raised to about 335-340ºF.
Pork was removed after a total of 10 hours, 20 minutes (204ºF).... and it did not "pull" normal. Most did, some seemed underdone.
I did spray the butt during the cook with this:

ENCsauce.jpg
...and a couple of shots when it was done....

butt11282020f.jpg
butt11282020g.jpg.PNG

i was pulling pork at 10pm last night when i was expecting to be burping up pulled pork.
butt, butt will be served for dinner eet.gif tonight, in approximately another 8 hours.

anyway, thank you for swingin' by!

Way to persevere Jimmy, turned out very nice!
My 8 lb. butt a couple of weeks ago didn't want to get done, and it was getting late, so I cooled it, put in fridge and finished it the next day.

Back