Bruce's First Skyline Rebuild - Before & After

Many people like myself if they perceive an item to be of quality and fairly priced will not insult you. Just yesterday I saw an ad on CL for a KitchenAid Pro600 Designer Series. Woman asking only $75. She was nice enough to meet me at the Home Depot on the NE side of Madison. Because I had to run out of the house having just gotten home from Men's Fraternity at church, I grabbed 4 20's and ran. When I got there 2 surprises. First the voice on the phone sounded like a woman at least in her 70's. Instead a tiny and very cute young woman pops out of the car. And when I discovered I only had the 4 20's she was actually willing to give me $10 in change. I said no way. Anyway there was no way on earth I was going to jerk her around. I figure out how to take care of the issue. We had a VERY pleasant visit and transaction and went our ways.
Anyway Bruce, moral of this diatribe :D is not all on CL/FB are out to get something for nothing

When I picked up the rotisserie for my grill it was a similar story. The guy was asking$30. The ATM only gives out 20's. I got to his house and he showed me the rotisserie wich was exactly as described. I told him I didn't have exact change and he could have the $40. However he insisted on getting me change and found ten dollars for me.

Yep, I picked up a $10 Q100 in the spring. The guy saw my Veteran plates and asked if I was a Vet. I replied "yes" and he insisted I just take the grill. Nice guy.

So far so good. He just called and we set up for him to stop here at noon. He is actually coming from 35 miles further away than expected so he must really want the grill. :)

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I am already starting miss my Skyline, but I will be happy not to have to store it in the garage all winter long. And, really, I could use the $400 right now. We need a new dishwasher bad and I want to get some quality LED headlights for my truck.

Happy to hear that, Bruce. My wife would be cheering you on!

My helper and I made some good progress today on two grills going up for sale. Maybe my wife will cheer for me eventually:rolleyes:! I also broke out my old Bosch orbital sander and finished sanding and tack cleaning all 36 oak slats for my Skyline. I figure staining and then multi-coating with spar varnish is a good after work job, one coat per night. With a little luck I might have my own Skyline showing by next weekend. After all this there is no way I am parting with it!!! I will sell any of my other grills first:D!

Good for you jon. I will always be keeping my eyes out for another skyline. If I do another one and it has the durawood. I might just go and convert it over to wood.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I am already starting miss my Skyline, but I will be happy not to have to store it in the garage all winter long. And, really, I could use the $400 right now. We need a new dishwasher bad and I want to get some quality LED headlights for my truck.

Beware of buying LG or Electrolux/Frigidaire appliances. Worst stuff and companies don't stand behind them. Or anything made by those companies i.e. Kenmore. Trust me I've made these mistakes and been down that road. I have a $1200 LG gas range that from brand new the porcelain is bubbling off the cook top and LG won't stand behind cosmetic defects, Also a while back bought an Electrolux dishwasher. Awful piece (made in China) and again no support from Electrolux/Frigidaire.
Also before you go all in on LED lights know that many times they cause more trouble than they help. Things like radio interference, excess glare to oncoming drivers, poorer light on the road and distribution too. Check out Daniel Stern Lighting https://www.danielsternlighting.com/ for good advice or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeaDrH0gXZk&t=655s very informative both sites

Thanks Larry. I have done a lot of reading and research on LED's. I understand the scattered light issues that they entail.

Also, are you saying Kenmore is a good or bad company? All my other kitchen appliances are Kenmore and I have no problems with them but I am not locked into getting a Kenmore dishwasher.

First with Sears going fully bankrupt for that reason alone I don't think them to be a good bet as it's hard to know for sure who actually made the appliance. Though typically they're now Frigidaire/Electrolux which are the pits in terms of quality and support but even that aside with Sears going away who can actually stand behind them? It's a sure bet the OEM will not. So for those 2 reasons I would never touch a Kenmore appliance especially now. Much better off staying with home built stuff like Whirlpool, Amana, KitchenAid, or better line products i.e. Samsung or Bosch. You'll have far better product(s).
As for LED lights here too, why waste tons of $$$ on something that may actually give worse night vision and do nothing but **** off oncoming drivers? Pretty blue light? There are decent ones that are actually well engineered to work better than their incandescent counterparts but they're hard to find and cost a ton

OK guys/gals: I am no longer a member of the Skyline club. She sold, full price, no haggling. But, I walked away kind of dissapointed in one respect. First, I am very happy it sold. It sold for full price and just a couple days after listing it on FB. I got no hits on the CL add.

But, the disappointment comes in where the guy tells me he is tired of transporting his other Silver B and Silver C from home to the hunting lodge, camping and other places. He didn't even care about the rotisserie, the Oak grate scraper or the tank cover. He asked what is the point in the tank cover? He didn't care to fire it up, or take out the grates and flavo bars to look inside. He didn't mention the SKYLINE at all. I honestly think I could have sold him a regular Silver B or 1000 for the same price without the roto or tank and tank cover for the same price. I guess I was hoping for someone to show up telling me distant memories about his Dad's grill with the Skyline logo or something like that. Guy just handed me 4 - $100 bills and I helped load it and he drove off. So, in the end, I am not complaining, just surprised by how it went. Probably as easy a transaction on FB or CL you could ask for.

Oh, another interesting development is the guy lives in Minnesota and is taking back to the state it was born in. I got the grill from Minnesota. It was actually a 116 mile drive for him to get here.

Congats Bruce.

Even though he was not a fan of the extras or even the Skyline name he knows a Weber is a Weber right? The older ones last forever.

Jeff

A couple of 1000s I sold the buyers told me that their parents had one when they were growing up, which I thought was pretty cool. Same with one of the silver Bs.. Doubt that many people are looking for 15-20 year old charbroils though. The Weber name draws those who know.

guess I was hoping for someone to show up telling me distant memories about his Dad's grill with the Skyline logo or something like that."

I was looking forward to you telling all of us about his story behind why he bought it.

Bruce,
Well that is a bittersweet way to see that one go, but the $400 was good. I hope ANOTHER Skyline comes your way and that you will be back in the ”club” next Spring. One encouraging thing is that this sale shows you CAN get higher prices if the presentation is there. Even if he didn’t specifically care about the Skyline history or the rotisserie, your advertisement presented really well. I think he saw a rare and very sharp top quality old style grill and was sold.

Although my wife uses Facebook regularly, I have avoided it like the plague. This forum is my first venture into “social media.” I think I like it because of the narrow topic of interest and the ground rules that prevent most of the ugly stuff on FB. However, I am coming to see that the FB Marketplace is an important place to buy and sell grills. I am loathe to get my own account, so hopefully my wife will put up with me occasionally listing on hers. I bought an old parts kettle (mainly for the old style ash pan) using it and have seen but passed on some interesting deals. They seem to have a different constituency than Craigslist, OfferUp and now Letgo which here often have the same grills listed. I don’t really blame them; I will do that, too.

Thanks Larry. I have done a lot of reading and research on LED's. I understand the scattered light issues that they entail.

Also, are you saying Kenmore is a good or bad company? All my other kitchen appliances are Kenmore and I have no problems with them but I am not locked into getting a Kenmore dishwasher.

Bruce,
We have had two Bosch dishwashers. Like them a lot, but they are a little different how they dry dishes. I would also buy a KitchenAid. I am sure there are other good ones, but they would be my first choices for whatever that is worth:rolleyes:!

Back