Bruce's First Skyline Rebuild - Before & After

Congrats on the sale Bruce! Yah, I was hoping there would be some kind of nostalgic story but I'm glad you got your asking price and it sounded like a straight forward deal.

Last edited:
Bruce,
We have had two Bosch dishwashers. Like them a lot, but they are a little different how they dry dishes. I would also buy a KitchenAid. I am sure there are other good ones, but they would be my first choices for whatever that is worth:rolleyes:!

Yes Jon they are like my LG which is 9 years old the thing did not have a heating element stunk for years unless the wife put something into it once a month not my department I actually talked to someone at HD a very knowledgeable lady older than myself and she said it was the lack of the heating element the LG like Bosch used a different system hopefully you do not have that issue.

Ordering this one tomorrow good price https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitche...asher-stainless-steel/6005004.p?skuId=6005004 same db's as the Bosch I believe as you know the Bosch's are a bit smaller in side but my brother in law has one and he loves it.

Jon, I just pushed them in the frame ends and then drilled a small hole on the inside edge of the tube and put a small machine type screw into the hole into plastic end cap. You have to do it down low on the frame bar so the durawood tray doesn't hit it. That holds them in just fine. Basically, I replaced the larger 7/16" bolt with a simple screw.

Bruce,

Maybe I missed it, but the flip up table end piece that holds the rod in place. How did you get it that piece into the Silver B handle?

Bobby

Rod goes into silver b handle

I have a 2000 that is on the table for Rehab. I think I'm going to use Durawood plenty of it after I replaced it on two previous rehabs with cedar. I bought a vintage grill out light handle like Jon and want to use black knobs black ignitor cover and get some silver b right side tool holder and left side handle like Bruce did. I think it will look cool.

By the way, does anyone have those right and left pieces for a Silver B for sale?
Bobby

Last edited:
Bobby: Not too many Silver B's came with the black knobs and handles. If you don't already have them, it might take some searching to find a donor grill.

I fully understand your feeling of “Sellers Remorse” I’ve been down that road with other items I’ve sold, you take the time to do something well, selling at the agreed price and the buyer doesn’t get it. Well, let’s face it, not everyone has the warm spot for these pieces of American ingenuity that we have. He will doubtless just use it to burn burgers and chicken at his cabin and not realize the “cool value”.
Enjoy the use of the funds and rest assured, I could easily be persuaded to drive as far as you are from me for a restore like that!

Thanks Tim, but I am not really fretting over it. I had almost resigned myself to having to store it all winter and hoping for it to pop early next spring. I am happy and looking forward my next Skyline acquisition.

Bobby: Not too many Silver B's came with the black knobs and handles. If you don't already have them, it might take some searching to find a donor grill.

The black knobs and black igniter switch cover seemed to have been used on a limited basis the last year or maybe the last two years of production. Some say it was only on the "premium" versions of the Silvers that also had a right side flip up table. These were sold at retailers with a special relationship with Weber such as Ace Hardware.

For what it is worth, I was very happy with the results of painting a gray side burner knob to match my other knobs. Just make sure it is totally clean and grease free. (But don't be an idiot and use xylene like I recently did on a non-grill plastic part. It will eat it up!) Anyway, I used Krylon for plastic in satin black. It looked so good that I was sorely tempted to paint my faded original black knobs as well.

35l94hz.jpg

For what is worth, there is a source on Amazon for the black knobs but not the ignitor cover.

Bruce, Jon

I ordered the knobs and switch cover after Bruce gave me those numbers.

Bobby

Last edited:
Congrats Bruce. Your success gives me ray of hope that I may be able
to move all of these old 1000's and Silver's that I am stock piling.

Jon, fbmp is a must these days. CL is becoming more and more difficult
to sell on. It is easier to buy stuff on CL as fewer people are searching.
However, it's a dog fight trying to buy anything on fbmp. Any really good deal
will have 3 replies in the first 10 minutes.

Last edited:
I did the stock piling thing last year. THis year, I have learned and been much more prudent in my inventory going into the off season. I have a Silver C, SIlver B and two 1000's that will be stored this winter. I will always be on the look out for another one or two, but they will have to be clear deals/steals or just something I cannot pass on like another Skyline for me to pick up any more.

Yes Jon they are like my LG which is 9 years old the thing did not have a heating element stunk for years unless the wife put something into it once a month not my department I actually talked to someone at HD a very knowledgeable lady older than myself and she said it was the lack of the heating element the LG like Bosch used a different system hopefully you do not have that issue.

Ordering this one tomorrow good price https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitche...asher-stainless-steel/6005004.p?skuId=6005004 same db's as the Bosch I believe as you know the Bosch's are a bit smaller in side but my brother in law has one and he loves it.

I cannot vouch for LG as I am so disgusted with them as a company I will NEVER buy an LG product of ANY type ever again. But I will address the Bosch and misinformation you have received. The Bosch DOES have a heating element. It is under the panel and out of harms way so if a plastic utensil falls down you will not have melted plastic all over. For whoever it was that said something about the "smell" yes a Bosch & many other BTW will smell if the filter(s) are not cleaned in the bottom of the machine. As long as you clean them the machine will not smell.
As for how a Bosch (and other European designed machines dry) they use condensation dry. Which is WONDERFUL because it does not vent the steam under the counter and if you have laminate counters you will understand why not venting steam under there is important. I owned a Bosch for a long time and would have bought another had I been able to find one in stock. I only bought the Electrolux because it was the only product I was able to find "in stock" to simply buy and take home. But believe me when that Electrolux POS dies there WILL be another Bosch in it's place!

I cannot vouch for LG as I am so disgusted with them as a company I will NEVER buy an LG product of ANY type ever again. But I will address the Bosch and misinformation you have received. The Bosch DOES have a heating element. It is under the panel and out of harms way so if a plastic utensil falls down you will not have melted plastic all over. For whoever it was that said something about the "smell" yes a Bosch & many other BTW will smell if the filter(s) are not cleaned in the bottom of the machine. As long as you clean them the machine will not smell.
As for how a Bosch (and other European designed machines dry) they use condensation dry. Which is WONDERFUL because it does not vent the steam under the counter and if you have laminate counters you will understand why not venting steam under there is important. I owned a Bosch for a long time and would have bought another had I been able to find one in stock. I only bought the Electrolux because it was the only product I was able to find "in stock" to simply buy and take home. But believe me when that Electrolux POS dies there WILL be another Bosch in it's place!

I have had two Bosch dishwashers, and as I said, I DO really like them overall. I only commented about the drying (condensation as Larry states, although I did NOT know there was a heating element under the panel) because it is DIFFERENT to people who have not used one before. As to smell, we have never had that problem with them. So, I would recommend them, but I would also buy a good KitchenAid.

I did a lot of research into dishwashers before our last purchase about a year ago and ended up with a Bosch. We've been happy with it so far.

Bosch sounds like the way to go.....How the heck did this turn into a dishwashing thread on TVWBB????????? ;)

Congrats on the sale, Bruce!
Seems a shame that he wasn't looking to buy based on the rarity, but at least he will appreciate it at his cabin - and at least he paid you what you were asking!

By the way, we have a Kenmore made by Kitchenaid and we like it a lot.

My roommate bought it at a Sears outlet in Southern CT - a $1400 dishwasher for $380 due to a dent in the front panel that you can't even see unless you were to flip the machine upside down.

Congratulations Bruce! Lets all just assume he will come to appreciate it once he gets it tot he cabin and starts using it.

Back