Breaking in the new Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
After my new Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System arrived yesterday I had to try it out today.
https://auraoutdoorproducts.com/collections/kettle-zone-pre-order-specials/products/kettle-zone
Had a tri tip and I could not think of a better way to try it out. IMG_20210115_152714.jpg
I followed Malcolm Reed's recipe for a London Broil that I did about a year ago and really really liked, so I decided to use it for the tri tip. I half the recipe (because this tri tip was a little over 2 lbs) and used red wine vinegar rather than balsamic vinegar because it's what I had. https://howtobbqright.com/2016/08/24/grilled-london-broil-recipe/
Also prepped some chicken breast for the family members who don't like beef.
For this cook I decided to use the Weber charcoal baskets because I wanted one on each side and because I wanted to be able to move both underneath to get that great sear on the tri tip at the end. IMG_20210115_152720.jpg
15 RO Chefs Select briquettes in each basket with a small piece of Hickory, small piece of Pecan, and a shard of Hickory in each. I lit 14 briquettes and I put 7 lit in each basket. Then I put the diffuser plates and grates in and let the temps climb. My goal was to put the meat on once that temps hit 225, but I got catch up in an intense backyard whiffle ball game so the meat got put on when the temps were at 250. Then temps rose quickly to 280 and I thought oh-no this is going to just keep running alway from me, but then I got the vents set and the temps quickly locked in at 275 and did not move at all. This was a little higher then I wanted to cook at but neither the whiffle ball game nor the cook suffered for it. IMG_20210115_152734.jpgIMG_20210115_152744.jpg
Let the tri tip go to 125 then took it off and let it rest. Below is just before I pulled it for the rest. IMG_20210115_152802.jpg
When the chicken was close to being done I lit a small amount of lump charcoal. I pulled one of the half diffuser plates out, move both charcoal baskets under then one side, and poured the lump on top of the charcoal baskets.
IMG_20210115_173056.jpg
Put the tri tip back on when the grate temp was reading over 400 and the other side was, still under 300.
IMG_20210115_173120.jpg
IMG_20210115_173112.jpg
Both meat hit temp right at the same time super cool! Chicken 165 and tri tip 135. IMG_20210115_173143.jpgIMG_20210115_173152.jpg
After a painful 15 minute rest, I cut it up. Both my daughter and I announced after the first bit that this was the best beef I have ever cooked. IMG_20210115_173200.jpgIMG_20210115_173209.jpgIMG_20210115_173217.jpg
No plated pictures. I left my phone in the kitchen and wasn't leaving the table to get it. There was no steak left!
OK, so first my takeaways from the meat. That was the best piece of beef I have ever cooked.
I love that recipe I followed, I took it to 135 which is right where I like it for a bigger piece of beef, the smoke come through really well, and I just love tri tip. This was so good I am going to look for that thread on the best cook ever and adding this one.
Now on to the Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System, it was much easier to set up, use, maintain temps, change the set up than I thought it would be. It was super easy and super fun to cook on. I am so much happier with it than I even thought I would be. It is a great user friendly system. Now, my next cook is going to be ribs and I want to try to keep the temps down, but I really think that was a me issue not a system issue, no whiffle ball until after the ribs are on.

Expertly cooked TT, Michael!! Just how I like it, and it looks like your new Aura set up worked just the way you wanted it to. I'll be very interested to see how your low/slow cook goes this weekend. Nice work!

R

Expertly cooked TT, Michael!! Just how I like it, and it looks like your new Aura set up worked just the way you wanted it to. I'll be very interested to see how your low/slow cook goes this weekend. Nice work!

R
Thanks Rich, your positive feedback always encourages me to keep pushing it!

Oh yeah, that looks like it came out really tasty. For what you paid for that Aura, you’ll certainly get your money’s worth.
Nice to hear it easy to use. Thanks for posting about it. Makes me want to get one now

Looks great, how difficult (or easy) was the hot panel removal for the sear?
Super easy! I put my welding gloves on (one made it into the pictures above) popped up the half grate, place it right on my table and then took the half diffuser plate out and placed in where I usually put my grate while lighting the coals and then put the half grate back. The, diffuser plate wasn't near as hot as I worried it would be, my gloves sometimes let heat in especially when using CI, but the gloves handled the heat off the plates with ease.
I wasn't sure how I felt about it being half grates and half defuser plates, but it being set up this way makes it really easy to use, especially when it is hot and the fire is going. It is not too heavy or overwhelmingly big to pick up while hot because it's only a half piece. That is something I didn't realize would even matter or make a difference until I was using it yesterday. The big half opening also made it really easy to move around the charcoal baskets below. Besides being on an angle, I really do feel like the system was pretty well thought out.

this looks interesting, turn your kettle into a kamado cooker....one thing about the SnS is it gets really really hot directly above it....good for searing, however when I cook, I cook the entire meal on the kettle...so I may throw in baking potatoes indirect for an hour then put the meat on.....

the SnS I dont think is the best for indirect cooking , just my experience I place the SnS on the opposite side of the exhaust vent however the heat doesnt seem to get distributed evenly inside the kettle...ive had baked potatoes not get done correctly using it, previously I used the weber baskets on opposite sides and put the food in the center...this cooks more evenly and never had issues with potatoes not getting done.

I may check this thing out

this looks interesting, turn your kettle into a kamado cooker....one thing about the SnS is it gets really really hot directly above it....good for searing, however when I cook, I cook the entire meal on the kettle...so I may throw in baking potatoes indirect for an hour then put the meat on.....

the SnS I dont think is the best for indirect cooking , just my experience I place the SnS on the opposite side of the exhaust vent however the heat doesnt seem to get distributed evenly inside the kettle...ive had baked potatoes not get done correctly using it, previously I used the weber baskets on opposite sides and put the food in the center...this cooks more evenly and never had issues with potatoes not getting done.

I may check this thing out
David,
I thought I would link you into this conversation to then realize you are the one to posted the Heat beacon option.

So you know there are other options, but I love my Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System. You also know that I have a SnS. After saying I would never own a SnS, I really do love that product also, but not for low and slow. My Aura is my low and slow go to, my SnS is for everyday cooks or and I really like it for a reverse sear steak. Today I would do this cook on the SnS, but the pork shoulder I am going to put on for a over the night cook in a few hours will go on with the Aura.

I am so grateful for this thread being brought back to the forefront, but it is from over a year ago. I did think about foiling the diffuser plates in the beginning, but decided to just go for it. I scraped them off after each cook and here is what they look like now. However a year later I still really really love the set up.
IMG_20211023_153147083.jpg

Everything is holding up perfectly and I have put it to the test from low and slow to high heat and a lot of vortex cooks.
IMG_20210731_174254596.jpg

Here is the the cook I started an hour ago for tomorrow night's dinner using the Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System.
IMG_20220209_200306459.jpg

Michael, I have one on the way myself, and plan to use it with my Kettle, and with my wsm down low when I do hanging ribs. Your review is one of the few on here so its good to see it revived.

Michael, I have one on the way myself, and plan to use it with my Kettle, and with my wsm down low when I do hanging ribs. Your review is one of the few on here so its good to see it revived.
Brock,
I hope you like yours as much as I do mine. Let me know if you have any questions related to the Aura System I am happy to share my experience. Also please let me and the fourm as a whole know what you think about it as you get the chance to use it for different applications.

Back