Bottom Round Roast

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Finally found a roast worth buying. Its been close to a year since the stores here have had any decent looking roasts in stock. Partially do to the virus but more to do with eating trends. I guess people here no longer eat roasts or so the butchers say. Thin cut steaks and burger is what sells.

Let the roast swim in Henderson's relish and rubbed it down with a heavy coat of SPOG.

It was super windy 15-20mph with gusts hitting 30mph. I set up the 14.5" WSM with KBB and a chunk of cherry. Set the PartyQ for 250° and torched up the charcoal.

Pulled the roast at 130°. Not sure the exact timing as I wasn't really paying attention. Wasn't under a time frame so it just cooked. Nice not having to check on the pit with the PartyQ just chugging along. I finally had to replace the batteries in the PartyQ. Couldn't tell you how many hours or cooks I've done but its been a lot. So in my book that's great. I put in rechargeable batteries to replace the ones that came with it so we will see how long they last.

50515894133_fd291ee044_c.jpg

50516606091_49e66cebea_c.jpg

50516606621_bb696a9a6a_c.jpg

50516607001_ce9e894473_c.jpg

How did you serve it, Case? Hope you have some leftovers.....would make a fantastic sandwich!!!

Rich

How did you serve it, Case? Hope you have some leftovers.....would make a fantastic sandwich!!!

Rich
Had it with rice and steamed broccoli. The remainder which is a lot will be sliced thin for roast beef sandwees.

Looks good. How do you like that Meater thermometer?
Yeah, how do you like your Meater? Wife bought me one for Christmas last year and I’ve still not used it!

The Meater has been fine and works great. You do have to keep the wood base near the smoker when using it or you will loose the signal. I place mine in a ziplock and set it near the smoker as the wood unit isnt water proof. So this is a draw back in my opinon. Battery life is crazy long. Not even sure when I last replaced the battery.

The Meater block (4) probe has been nothing but issues. First unit wouldn't update or work right out of the box. Second unit was doing okay but now it wont update again and you can't use it unless it updates. I haven't had time to hassle with customer service.

So I would buy the single probe Meater again. Not sure I'd splurge for the Block.

Normally I'm not that much of a fan of either round but that looks great, Case! I can't remember if you have a slicer or not, but those roasts seem to get exponentially better as the slices get thinner.

I'd be eating roast beef sandwiches every day for a month and be thrilled about it if I had that in the fridge.

Great roast - Interesting comment from your butcher... maybe now that fall is settling in, you'll get more roast options. Summer in Bend must be quinoa season! :)

Back