Best way to grill a steak.

Thomas/Klamerus

TVWBB Member
I have two 18" weber kettles a 18" wsm a 14.5" wsm and a smoky joe and I think the buest way to cook one steak is on top of a charcoal chimney starter.:rolleyes:

I've always wanted to do that since I saw Alton Brown do it on Good Eats......still haven't gotten around to it, but yours looks great!!

Rich

Grilling a steak on the charcoal starter can be good, but you really have to stay right there with it and not walk away. There were some here who did this, but a good
cast iron hibachi works better with more control. Try one if you see a good deal at the end of the season. Your steak looks very good!

Looks tasty! Alton Brown refers to this as (I think) the "Jet Engine Method". I'd also like to try his right-on-the-coals approach with some flank steak sometime.

Personally I like to dust off the hot coals and throw the steak right on top! Caveman style!

Looks good from here. Without anywhere for indirect heat, do you just take it right to the plate?

I am usually cooking for the family, but next time Im alone...this is the way I'm gonna go.

Looks good from here. Without anywhere for indirect heat, do you just take it right to the plate?

I am usually cooking for the family, but next time Im alone...this is the way I'm gonna go.

I hold the grate with my hand and move the steak away from the coals if I get flare-ups. Also I can put just the bone over the coals to cook the meat near the bone more.

Unknown BBQ now sells a grate that fits on the chimney

http://unknownbbq.com/chimney-griller/

11139002_10204527887544096_6951606356887890863_n_zpsnqbcbrtn.jpg

10927177_10204527887184087_5126858255770847301_o_zpsmincnkns.jpg

Jay

I like thick steaks, I've been doing a sort of low-temp reverse sear. I put a few lit coals in the kettle, get cooking temp around 130, with some chips or chunks for smoke. Put the thick steaks on the other side, indirect, until internal temp gets to about 100 degrees. When close, I light a chimney of charcoal. When the internal temp of the steak is around 100 degrees, I take the steak off, dump the lit charcoal in, put the steaks back on direct when grill is blazing hot, couple of minutes per side to medium rare. Best of both worlds for me - inside is cooked uniformly, tender, moist, smoky. And the outside has a flavorful sear.

Back